Notices
General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Diesel engine swap

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
look at the salt flat records if all your after is speed the 2 stroke gimmies still hold the records

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
FARM69 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ahh, those ol Detroits. You can tell what engine model it is by the amount of oil it blows out.

Sounds like a good project.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
usmc50bmgsniper92
Junior User
usmc50bmgsniper92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4-53 detroit

check this out for all you detroy haters, i'm junking my 6.9 and putting one of these in mine, you got to love those screamin detroits!!, maybe power is bad in the big heavey trucks but in a pick up they roar, get a 4-53T turbo engine, they have like 200hp and over 400ft lbs of torque stock. not bad, but down fall is they weigh 1200 lbs, but what the heck the 6.9-73 weights in at 1000lbs and they are dogs without turbos!

YouTube - Detroit diesel powered ford pickup

Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 PM
nitrogen
Posting Guru
nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.
well if you're gonna compare turbo to nonturbo....... banks claimed up to 50% on a 6.9 with turbo intercooler and turned up fuel. the old detroits work best if you keep them revved to the absolute wall, but what they did better than any other engine was convert fuel to noise. gallons per decibel you can't beat them

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
usmc50bmgsniper92
Junior User
yep love the noise, thats music to my ears, ya I know all about banks, claims and with all that gain you won't expect the head gaskets to last long or anything else for that matter... I just want a detroit to be differant.. don't care about gas milage, etc.. just want to here that 2 stroke detroit...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Econoline 150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4-53s I think were about 150 horsepower, I think some Chevy C60s and C70s had them

Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
usmc50bmgsniper92
Junior User
4-53T 175hp @ 2500 rpm and we all know these will tack out at well over 3500 rpm

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
DeepRoots has a good reputation on FTE.DeepRoots has a good reputation on FTE.
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...t=79285777.flv

Thats the fiddly and engine room of my old boat the "Tug Elizabeth" I'm currently on the Tug Robert, but with the same setup. 16v149 main propulsion and 4-71 generators.

Like the noise? I live in in 8months a year. I still like them tho.
Drew

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Econoline 150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by usmc50bmgsniper92 View Post
4-53T 175hp @ 2500 rpm and we all know these will tack out at well over 3500 rpm
Couldnt remember , I suffer from C.R.S. 175 hp in a pickup should do the job in my opinion, not everyone needs a 350 hp diesel pickup.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Nephir
New User
Nephir is starting off with a positive reputation.
holy crap I hear a bunch of Detroit bashing. I guess im biased cause im a Detroit mechanic, I would just like to know which one of you has seen another diesel engine that will run with all of the injectors loose in the cylinder heads !! However i cant disagree with the oil leaks and oil consumption. It would be unreal if you could get ahold of one of the 8V53T out of an old tank. Alot lighter save some suspension work. You're best bet is to find a scrap dealer. They should have some of those lying around. Probably best to get a new set of flexplate bots and scuff plate. I'd have to check I know the series 60's use international compound on the bolts. Can't remember on those. Make sure you get a manual when you goto do a tune-up. Those engines can run away on you quite easily if you do it wrong. Have fun

Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 AM
nitrogen
Posting Guru
nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.nitrogen has a spectacular reputation.
what other engine do all the injectors come loose on? in all fairness keep oil in them and beat the living tar out of them every second and they seem to live forever, baby them or slow idle and they're bout like a handgrenade with no pin

Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
DeepRoots has a good reputation on FTE.DeepRoots has a good reputation on FTE.
those engines in my video had about 30k hours on them and didn't go through too much oil.

IF taken care of, they are very good engines.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Nephir
New User
It was and 8V92, Floor motor on and industrial rig. You are 100 % correct if you run the hell out of them they last longer than idling them. Idle time = death to any diesel engine. Im not gonna lie at least a non electronic 2 stroke you can work on. You have fuel, air and it cranks, then that sucker is gonna run. There is no sounds like the sound of a straight piped 2 stroke. Love it !! That truck is gonna be a hell of a lot of fun !!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Nephir
New User
Originally Posted by DeepRoots View Post
those engines in my video had about 30k hours on them and didn't go through too much oil.

IF taken care of, they are very good engines.
IF is the very keyword there. Rig's don't really take "care" of their equipment.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
rs curtis
New User
rs curtis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Having done several conversions b4 you could buy diesel pickups, I could offer my advice. If you have the time and money, do it for the learning experience. The first one I did was a 3-53 in a '74 International 2004X4. It was noisy, slow, had very poor torque characteristics, and used a quart of oil every 300 miles (normal). It was miserable to drive-never had the right gear even with a Clarke 280 VO 5 speed. The second was a Deutz F5L912 in a '77 Chevy Blazer- big difference. Even though it was only 3HP more that the detroit, its torque characteristics were much better. Neither one of these can hold a candle to even the earliest products from the big three. I could run my 2003 Dodge on three cylinders and it would still run circles around either one of my conversions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detroit Diesel engine swap

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: