Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV bockage/frozen=Oil leak?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CCV bockage/frozen=Oil leak?

Anyone have this happen? Seal bust or leak? I had a turbo pedestal o-ring leak that happened a couple days after a accident I was in, it was pretty cold those few days. The weird thing is, after I got the truck back from the body shop, where it sat inside for a week and a half the leak stopped. I replaced the o-rings anyway.

Even though I'm not positive was caused the leak, I'm concerned it might happen again, I checked the hose for low spots and didn't find any and it's running down hill as much as it can. I can feel gases coming out, but don't get much if any steam and I can't smell it at the back of the truck like I used to when it was warmer. Is this normal, would I get more steam if the air was more humid? I'm probably going to cut the hose at the cab to make sure the vapors are draining and not condensing and freezing and then reconnect in the Spring. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't hurt to cut the hose on the downhill side and check for flow. A simple heater hose coupler puts it back together. You could also disconnect the hose from the dog house and simply check for flow there, and reconnect. My CCV hose is getting kinda ratty. Seems to be getting saturated with oil vapor and is not long for replacement. Still flows good though, just getting real spongy and oily on the outside.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
If the CCV is clogged, yes, it can create excessive pressure in the crankcase, enough to cause an oil leak.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Running it all the way to the back is too long, IMO.
Just run it down behind the front axle.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 AM
86fu50
Junior User
wouldn't you smell it in the cab if the hose is that short?
Im all for cutting it short but i thought it would smell.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 AM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Thanks for your input, I know the possibility of increased pressure could result in a leak. Does anyone know of someone where this has happened? I agree with kwik, I think the long hose is increasing resistance and if there are any pools of condesation they are acting like a plaque in an artery thus increasing pressure. My truck might have high blood pressure. Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 AM
670johndeere
Senior User
Well I for one have actually had this happen. A couple of weeks ago it started getting below freezing, and I noticed the truck wasen't running very well. Then I noticed quite a bit of oil when she was running, dripping down from somewhere. So after a little investigation I found that the dipstick was actually blown out a little and oil was comming out from there. Then I got to thinking how in the He(( is this happening. Then I thought about the CCV Mod. When I looked at the end of the hose ( over the rear axle ) I didn't notice any vapor. So I turned the truck off , crawled under the truck and below the drivers door I had a coupler in the line. I removed the hose and, woosh air escaped. I guess somewhere where it runs down the frame rail it was frozen. I'll just left the hose disconnected under the cab till spring.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think what is happening here is that when you run the hose for a long distance towards the back of the truck, you might get low spot or like a "p trap" on a sink drain and this will collect moisture and oil, blocking off your breathing system..
I made sure mine was on a gradual down hill angle on the hose..

Old 01-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Mine did this too. I had it running to just behind the transfer case. I ended up cutting it and letting it out the wheel well. My oil leak went away after this.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
lancer
Elder User
I had thar exact prob 2 years ago. The pressure built up in the block was pushing the oil past the front main seal. After i disconnected the frozen pipe the leak stopped.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I read about this happening to someone else on this forum and about two days latter the same thing happened to me so I cut mine off under the cab and have not had any problems since. Every once in a while I get a wiff of some fumes but most times the window is up anyways it hasn't been a problem.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Mine comes out directly under the driver's seat and it never smells in the cab unless the window is down and the prevailing winds are just right to blow the fumes up and into the window.
It never comes in through the heater vents or the floor, etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM
jhand124
Posting Guru
I cut mine off just before the cab, seemed to have more flow. Thanks for all the responses.

Search this Thread