Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch mod good, harpoon mod not so good

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down Hutch mod good, harpoon mod not so good

I did the ITP in-tank kit and there is a noticable diffrerence in the clacking and overall noise. I would definatly recommend spending $ and a few hours on it. When I went to reinstall the modified pickup assembly (same lenght as before) I noticed that it contacts the floor of the tank and is 1/4 too tall to seat the gasket. The foot had a bend to it and it was clear that it was smashed in tight from the factory.

I never had problems filling the top of the tank, but I do now AFTER I cut the fill and fill vent tubes acording to the ITP/guzzle's instructions. anything over half full clicks off the pump at full flow. I can hear the foam come up the fill tube and shut off the nozzle. same station/pump as before. So I basically F-up my tank and have to babysit the last 12 gallons.

Now the fuel bowl drain is leaking too, must be murphy's law.

The screen and tank were very clean. I was hoping to find a clog that would expain my low boost, low EGT. nope.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only one reason i can think of for not filling faster..is the fill pipe might not be back the way it came out or got pinched...or the vent is pinched...there is no other way it could be slowed down like that...also screen hitting the bottom of the tank will slow the flow down in the feed line...

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 01-04-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Yeah, something's not right -- I have no problems filling till the pump shuts off and less than a minute later the fuel's at the neck...

Old 01-04-2008, 05:10 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, the middle of a full tank of fuel will sag a little, so if it makes contact with the tank flat on the concrete it's probably about right. However, you should not have to force it into the tank.

I agree with Ron. It sounds like the fill tube is pinched. Possibly where it goes over the frame.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I would vote on the vent tube being the one pinched, which would be why the tank wouldn't "breathe" properly as the fuel goes into it.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Thanks for the insite, I will check out the tubes.

As for the pickup, how far should it be off the floor of the tank? I set the length of the pickup to just touch the bottom, on the concrete. This was 1/4" shorter than what came out.

Thanks again

Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 AM
dieseloholic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting ready to do both of these so if you've found something I need to pay attention to please post it. Sorry about the trouble you're having.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:25 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
the only tip i can think of is to mark the ring that holds the sender in the tank before you take it off..when you put it back on ...tighten it back up so the marks match up... other then that dennis instructions are very good...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
I inspected the rubber hoses over the frame, they looked fine. Got the drain leak fixed with new o-rings. the yellow coating on the factory o-rings came off and was probaly the cause of the problem. I also re-installed a fuel pressure guage on the cowl to see if I can diagnose my fuel problem(s).

The only thing I would add to the in-tank instructions would be to support the tank on 2x4s at the strap locations.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Thumbs up 2nd fill up

I filled the tank for the 2nd time after the harpoon, and it did not have the same problem. Now the pump itself shuts off, at $100. I got 29.7 gallons in. Case closed

Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
what was the problem? glad you got it fixed and running well.. inj must be quiter ??

Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict
Yeah, what was the problem? I curious since I want to do this mod.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Kevinpmac
Senior User
Originally Posted by dieseloholic
I'm getting ready to do both of these so if you've found something I need to pay attention to please post it. Sorry about the trouble you're having.
Instead of putting the ring in the sun (was cloudy), I put it in the oven at 200 degrees. She went back on like butter. Also, submerge 2" of the new hoses in HOT water to help them slip over the the fuel pickup and pump. In fact, it helped to slip over the new fittings on the filter too.

Finally, do not drop the new filter assembly on your face. It CAN chip a tooth and give you a fat lip.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kevinpmac
Finally, do not drop the new filter assembly on your face. It CAN chip a tooth and give you a fat lip.
Are we speaking from experience?

I am, when I was installing the FASS pump, the socket "slipped" off the bolt, and I had a mouth full of ratchet. I was on the creeper, and almost, ALMOST, raised my head up to meet the frame rail.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
what was the problem? glad you got it fixed and running well.. inj must be quiter ??
Don't know what the problem was. I checked the hoses that day and drove for 3 weeks before the 2nd fill. I used the exact same pump/station an filled from 'E' both times. Didn't change anything. Call it persuasion from excessive pofanity

Quick Reply: Hutch mod good, harpoon mod not so good