Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck wouldn't takeany throttle this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
countrysF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck wouldn't takeany throttle this morning

to start with yesterday starter went out and i couldn't get one till this morning so the truck sat for 2 days both nights it got down to about 15 degrees or so, i put the new starter on this morning and after i got it started it didn't want to take any throttle i let it run for about 3 minutes or so and it seems ok after it ran for a few minutes does anybody know what would cause thisand my second question is would this cause my tranny to act up and do weird things thanks in advance for any info

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Whats wrong with you trans? The trans will shift differnently when its cold inorder for everything to warm up.

The engine was just cold moslt likey, at 15 degrees the oil is real thich and the HPOP has a hard time keeping up with the demand untill it warms up a little bit.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is switch on the go peddle..it sounds like it needs to be cleand.it may be sticking dew to sitting in cold weather to..get some electrical spray clean at Napa or the like..clean it good..its fast drying but being cold may take it a little longer..but make sure its dry..( maybe heat the cab good first) then give it a try...

EDIT: what chris said makes sence too

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 01-04-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
there is switch on the go peddle..it sounds like it needs to be cleand.it may be sticking dew to sitting in cold weather to..get some electrical spray clean at Napa or the like..clean it good..its fast drying but being cold may take it a little longer..but make sure its dry..( maybe heat the cab good first) then give it a try...

EDIT: what chris said makes sence too
I think I would want to question what Chris said though, only because if it was the oil, it should have turned over a bit slower as well..right?? Just a thought. By the way, I am also experiencing this first thing in the morning, first start. Although I dont normally let the truck warm up, I start, and "attempt" to go in this weather 8* this morning.

Last edited by just another truck; 01-04-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
damndoc2k
New User
Alot of these starting issues arise from worn and malfunctioning injectors, that is assuming that all sensors like cps(cam position sensor which has just been recalled on many 99-03 models) The injectors get sticky and need some warmth and lube to react correctly. I am currently having issues with hard start and the dealer says that I have 4 bad injectors but they clear up after about 20 min of use. They want almost 5k to replace. WHEW!!! I think I will try that one myself!!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by damndoc2k
Alot of these starting issues arise from worn and malfunctioning injectors, that is assuming that all sensors like cps(cam position sensor which has just been recalled on many 99-03 models) The injectors get sticky and need some warmth and lube to react correctly. I am currently having issues with hard start and the dealer says that I have 4 bad injectors but they clear up after about 20 min of use. They want almost 5k to replace. WHEW!!! I think I will try that one myself!!!!!
Welcome damndoc2k, hey, before you run to the dealer again, run through this site, alot. if you dont find an answer, ask the question. There are several informative people on this site. As far as your cold start problem, have you looked into your glow plugs?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey damndoc2k...sounds alot like my problem but I didn't have the problem until I HAD 4 injectors replaced. Anyway....injectors can be had for less than $150 ea and installation of all 8 should be around $500.....$5k to replace? Whole rebuilt engine can be had for that price.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Ron is right in Post #3. The "won't take any throttle" is as a result of a bad or sticky "Idle Validation Switch". It's on the pedal assembly.

The easiest way to get to it is to disconnect the electrical connector, then remove the three nuts that hold the assembly to the floorboard. That will allow you to carefully inspect the assembly for the problem. Easy to put back together.

Also, though it may only be a remote possibility, if you have the pedal at part-throttle when you start it, the ECU won't see Idle Validation. After the start it, the engine will only idle, so subsequent additional pedal will result in nothing, just idle. After starting, the ECU needs to see Idle Validation before it will acknowledge pedal position and feed more fuel to increase RPM.

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 01-04-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
countrysF250
Senior User
Originally Posted by That_Guy
Whats wrong with you trans? The trans will shift differnently when its cold inorder for everything to warm up.

The engine was just cold moslt likey, at 15 degrees the oil is real thich and the HPOP has a hard time keeping up with the demand untill it warms up a little bit.
my trans will shift fine as long as im on the throttle but when i let off a little bit once i get ut to speed its like it goes into neutral, rpms shoot up and speed falls off, its not a graduall rpm rise like its slipping, its just like it was in neutral and u rev it up, one dealer told me 3 rd gear was shot, but i didn't agree with him while im on the throttle its fine shifts all gears, all shifts feel fine and no slipping just when i let off it it does it in 2,3 and sometimes 4th

Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Edit: Read the above wrong. Disregard reply.

Pop.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 AM
damndoc2k
New User
Thanks for the welcome, the dealer checked the glow system and said all checked out OK. I have been using the old standby Lucas fuel additive that I have used for years in big rigs that I have driven and actually it is starting better each time I start it, but I am not getting rid of my wd40 any time soon!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
pullinair
Elder User
The no throttle feeeling happens every time I disconnect the battereies on the truck. it happens for a couple of seconds after starting the truck, and then dissapears. Since you probably had your batts disconnected when you replaced your starter, this is most likely why it happened. If it acts up from hear on out, I would then call it a real problem. I do not know if this would cuase your slushbox to act up. Is it acting up?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
countrysF250
Senior User
Originally Posted by pullinair
The no throttle feeeling happens every time I disconnect the battereies on the truck. it happens for a couple of seconds after starting the truck, and then dissapears. Since you probably had your batts disconnected when you replaced your starter, this is most likely why it happened. If it acts up from hear on out, I would then call it a real problem. I do not know if this would cuase your slushbox to act up. Is it acting up?
thanks that was the answer i was looking for