Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

when's it cold enough to require the block heater?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 PM
viperbluelx
Senior User
viperbluelx is starting off with a positive reputation.

Just wondering if temps in the low 30's is cold enough that I should be plugging my truck in at night?

I noticed this morning that when I started the truck cold it surged real bad for about 10-15 seconds before it started idling normal, what does this mean?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
You can plug in your truck at any temperature. It's all personal preference. I try to remember to plug mine in when temps drop in the 20's or lower. The block heater is nothing more than a starting aid to help get the truck running quicker and easier.

The cold start romps are normal, especially if you are still running 15w40 oil. A thinner oil in the winter will help get rid of the romps, at least until temps drop even further.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
littledre1
Senior User
littledre1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I run 15W40 all year round. I don't even think about plugging in my truck in the 30's or 20s or teens. I've had my truck for 2 years and have never plugged it in mainly because I didn't have access to power. My truck was parked in a hospital lot about 4 blocks away from my apt. Even when it got down into the single digits a couple of times she stared up after a couple of glow plug cyclings.

With that being said if I had access to power every night I would probably plug in around the low teens. My dad plugs in his trucks whenever it gets in the low 30s.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru
sflem849 has a good reputation on FTE.sflem849 has a good reputation on FTE.
I plug mine in anytime there MIGHT be frost on the windows. I like it to be warm in a hurry when I start it up and I hate scraping windows therefore it is plugged in on the timer all winter and even most of the fall.

My uncle plugs his in at teenish temps.

I am with Pocket that it is all personal preferance. So long as it will start you may never NEED to plug it in.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Last year, I plugged it in if it was going to drop below 30. I'm also running 5w40 year round. This year, I haven't plugged it in yet. The days when its below 30, I simply cycle the GP's twice and she fires right off with no trouble or romping at all. So far, this has worked down to 15 degrees, and yes, the truck is outside all night long.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Pete, Don't you have to scrape the windows after you do that? I walk outside and start mine, Go in and brush my teeth and put my boots on, Go back outside and I am rolling! Maybe you have drier air down south and don't have all the frost that we do.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
fxstbchopper
Posting Guru
fxstbchopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fxstbchopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't plug mine in till 20 or below. But I think it is all personal preference some guys don't plug there trucks in at all some guys may have to because of bad glow plugs. I started mine the other day and it was 5 outside the truck started fine after cycling the glow plugs a couple of times but I would have been better off if I had remebered to plug it in.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Markadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant future
In answer to your exact question, plugging it in above 25 degree's is a waste of electricity. That clown Al Gore wastes enough for all of us.

Last edited by Markadeck; 01-04-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
viperbluelx
Senior User
what yall are talking about "cycling" the glow plugs are you talking about turning the key to the on position wait till the "wait to start" light goes out, then turn the key off and do the same thing again, then start the truck?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Yes, That is what they are saying.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Well, Scott... we do get frost down here, but it turns out that I am partially "shaded" by the eaves of the house and a huge oak tree, so the only white stuff I end up getting on the windshield is on the passenger side.

I've also discovered that since I'm not plugging in the block heater, I need to take it a bit slower out of the driveway and up the road to the main drive out of our neighborhood. By the time I hit the main road where I can run at 30-40mph, I've already gotten enough air movement over the windshield to where the frost is beginning to thin out enough to see safely. Fortunately, it has worked very well thus far.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Markadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant future
If not plugged in I've always cycled the glow plugs 3 or 4 times when it's in the teens. Just today I read in another thread here that the plugs stay on for up to 2 minutes after the light goes out. It was 14 here in South Carolina last night but I have had no reason to start my truck today. But, the next time it is that cold I am going to try the wait 2 minutes idea before I go to another cycle of the plugs.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
viperbluelx
Senior User
I noticed today that even though my truck started without being plugged in and with no glow plug cycling except the first one, that the truck was very very sluggish for about a minute.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by viperbluelx
I noticed today that even though my truck started without being plugged in and with no glow plug cycling except the first one, that the truck was very very sluggish for about a minute.
So, give it a chance for a long and happy life, let it warm up for that minute, or even 5 of them.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
I think that is bc there isnt enough of the syrup...I mean oil getting to the injectors. I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong on that. I would imagine that thread "no throttle response..." is dealing with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.