Notices

Gentex 50GENK242 Connector Pinouts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Yonder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentex 50GENK242 Connector Pinouts?

I'm looking for the connector pinouts for the Gentex Rear Camera Display mirror model 50GENK242. I have a driver side dimming mirror I want to tie into to signal it to also dim. On the old mirror connector pins 4/5 provided for this.

Please share them if you can.

- Joe

Last edited by Yonder; 01-03-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Make it a question
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
jpark
New User
I'd be VERY interested as well.

My 2007 Edge's factory auto-dimming inside rear-view mirrors also has those two extra pins that control the dimming of the exterior driver-side mirror.

Too bad the 50-GENK242 doesn't also have Homelink.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Yonder
New User
Mito Corp gave me this

I hope to try this coming week. The people at Mito Corp which are licensed to sell the Gentex mirror's gave me the information. This is only for the K242 mirror.

It would be nice to get all the pins outs, if you find more please share!

Subject: pins to dim outside mirrors

This is for the K242 mirror only

OEC + = 11
OEC - = 15

They are going to be at CES next week, looks like boot North 333, if anyone gets a chance and is there can you stop by and look.

- Joe

Last edited by Yonder; 01-05-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
jpark
New User
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Yonder
New User
08 F150 with a Rear View Camera Display Mirror

Here is some data from an 08' F150 with a Rear View Camera Display Mirror.

1 - Power
2 - Reverse (Switched)
3 - Ground
4 - Not Used
5 - Not Used
6 - Not Used
7 - Not Used
8 - NTSC+
9 - Compass+
10- Compass-
11- EOC+
12- Not Used
13- Not Used
14- Not Used
15- EOC-
16- NTSC-

Last edited by Yonder; 01-06-2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Yonder
New User
Connector pins?

Does anyone know where to find connector pins for this connector? I've located all the wires but can not find a pin to fit it!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
jpark
New User
Can you post a picture of one of the pins, preferably next to a ruler showing MM?

Digi-Key carries pins for just about every conceivable connector, so I might be able to identify it.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Kory Zimmerman
Junior User
Angry

Does anybody know if these parts can be ordered (Gentex Mirror & Camera and Ford Tail gate bezel) If the system can be easily installed in a Super Duty at home? Is a special wire harness needed? I have a 08 F350 at the dealer waiting to get picked up when I get back in town. The dealer said they could possibly install the Ford system but it would be upwards of $1000.00 because I didn't order the truck with it.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Yonder
New User
Exclamation Self Install issues - what I've run into anyway!

Well I have some good news and some bad. First of all I don't have access to the 08-350 wiring diagram, you may want to go and look at it to be sure. I have a 07 150 and I purchased from Mito Corp (which is the only distributor of the Gentex Mirror) and a license frame camera from <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>them also</st1></st1:city>. It was an easier install to put the camera at the license plate then trying to get it into the tail gate.

The one main issue I ran into is the replacement harness from M<st1:city w:st="on"><st1>ito</st1></st1:city> only had the necessary pins/wires to connect to there equipment (video, power, backup sensor). My vehicle has an exterior dimming mirror and those wires are not there. Also if you have an 08 F150 the compass information for the dash comes from the mirror also, which those wires are not present on the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Mito</st1></st1:city> harness.

If you don't have either of those problems, the 08 F150 factory harness is multi segmented, and not really an option to install after the fact.

Again the 08-350 may be simpler but I really don't think it would be that different.

Before you jump you may want to get the 3day subscription ($9.95) from Motorcraft and look at the wiring harness information to see what the differences are prior to making a decision.

Hope this helps, I'm still on a mission to figure out what the pins are in the new connector to add the necessary wires to mine to get my exterior mirror working correctly.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Yonder
New User
Smile Working on getting the info!

Originally Posted by jpark
Can you post a picture of one of the pins, preferably next to a ruler showing MM?

Digi-Key carries pins for just about every conceivable connector, so I might be able to identify it.
Great idea, I always forget about Digi-Key. I'll try to ID the connector (I have that catalog somewhere around here!) I'll post it when I get a chance to take it apart again

Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Kory Zimmerman
Junior User
Smile

Originally Posted by Yonder
Well I have some good news and some bad. First of all I don't have access to the 08-350 wiring diagram, you may want to go and look at it to be sure. I have a 07 150 and I purchased from Mito Corp (which is the only distributor of the Gentex Mirror) and a license frame camera from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:city w:st="on"><ST1>them also</ST1></st1:city>. It was an easier install to put the camera at the license plate then trying to get it into the tail gate.

The one main issue I ran into is the replacement harness from M<st1:city w:st="on"><ST1>ito</ST1></st1:city> only had the necessary pins/wires to connect to there equipment (video, power, backup sensor). My vehicle has an exterior dimming mirror and those wires are not there. Also if you have an 08 F150 the compass information for the dash comes from the mirror also, which those wires are not present on the <st1:city w:st="on"><ST1>Mito</ST1></st1:city> harness.

If you don't have either of those problems, the 08 F150 factory harness is multi segmented, and not really an option to install after the fact.

Again the 08-350 may be simpler but I really don't think it would be that different.

Before you jump you may want to get the 3day subscription ($9.95) from Motorcraft and look at the wiring harness information to see what the differences are prior to making a decision.

Hope this helps, I'm still on a mission to figure out what the pins are in the new connector to add the necessary wires to mine to get my exterior mirror working correctly.
Yonder,
Thank you for the info. I have an email into Direct Ford Parts (site sponser) and they got me a cost for the camera(225.32) and he is going to do a little more digging around for the details of the mirror and posible wiring harness. I don't even have the truck yet!!!! I am out of town working and the truck just showed up last week at the dealer. "TALK ABOUT MURDER, the saleman is probably using it as his personal truck until I get home!" Don't even know if I still want it, it will probably be close to $1000.00 for the parts by the time it is all done, and then have to try to run wires under the headliner.
If you find any more good info it is always welcome.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Yonder
New User
Good news, I just had a phone call from Mito Corporation and they are going to try to help me try to fix this.

If your having this same issue with the Gentex 50GENK242 Mirror please respond as they are interested in hearing from you!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
robertcc
New User
Backup Camera

I too am looking for the retrofit of the backup camera on my '08 King Ranch F250. I've got the parts guy at the dealership, checking with Ford in Michigan. I'll pass along any new info. If I can't get a good feel for the mirror display, I think I'm going to get the Ford camera and rig it to a fixed monitor. I'm glad I found this forum; it sounds like y'all do your homework.

RCC

Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Yonder
New User
Have them order the Gentex Mirror GEN50K242 from Mito!

RCC,

Gentex is the supplier to Ford for the mirror. The "Ford Parts" mirror is $750, I did my whole camera/mirror setup for the same price. Depending on the camera and labor you should be able to do it for less that that.

Mito is the licensed vendor for aftermarket sales for the GEN50K242 mirror.

The only gotcha is you need to check to see what your current mirror supplies for wire signals to the rest of your truck. In my case (07-F150) it also supplied the external mirror dimming informaiton. I've found out recently that the 08-F150 compass data also is provided from the stock mirror.

So on your 08-F250 you may want to have the dealer check the wiring diagram to see what is there currently.

Good Luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
robertcc
New User
Thanks, I'll go check it out.
Robert

Quick Reply: Gentex 50GENK242 Connector Pinouts