Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
View Poll Results: Would you buy a manual tranny in a NEW Truck? Vote only if you are a new truck buyer
Would never buy a new truck
7.65%
Would buy with current options (V6 only)
4.12%
Would buy if offered with the V8's, but settle for an Auto
43.82%
Want to buy it with an Auto.
44.41%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a new truck with a Manual transmission?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by IcemanV8
^My mom has a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 with the 6-speed. I took the skip shift out. Although, the LS1 has the torque in her set up to skip from 1st to 4th and still pull easily.
My Bullitt will start out in third gear if I want it to. But then, I don't want it to. I like to start out in first, not second or third. And I might be driving easy on the throttle waiting for an opening in the traffic, but don't want to upshift into a higher gear do maintain the ablity to punch it and go. The skip shift prevents that. It forces me to shift into an untenable gear selection. Better off without the manual in that case. An autobox allows it, without sacrificing the acceleration from a under 30 mph roll. At least it will grab a lower gear and move!

It's even more imperative in a truck that might be pulling/hauling a load. A skip shift is no answer. If we are to be regulated, let it be an autobox. It doesn't make me more manly to punch a clutch pedal. I like the control of a manual. But if I am to be regulated, get me the autobox.

Last edited by Jonas1022; 01-21-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonas1022
But if you have noticed the number of separate options have dropped and they have been combined with others to form packages. And option packages while fewer than before are more prevailant now than ever. And individual options, not packages are almost totally wiped out.
The learned this from the Japanese. With the early Honda Accords, the dealer could stock every possible variation available with only 18 cars. They had three trim levels, each trim level was made in three colors and you could get standard or automatic transmissions. If you wanted a specific accessory or color, you had to pick which of the trim levels you wanted. All of the AC was dealer installed so that didn't enter in to the stocking.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
the Goat
Senior User
It forces me to shift into an untenable gear selection. Better off without the manual in that case. An autobox allows it, without sacrificing the acceleration from a under 30 mph roll. At least it will grab a lower gear and move!
Am I missing something here? If the truck has a manual transmission then you (the driver) can select any gear you want. How does a manual transmission force you to use the wrong gear but an automatic doesn't?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
I made sure my brand new '93 F150XL had a manual. Sold it with 267,000 miles on the clock.

I also made sure my brand new '06 F250XLT had a manual.

Enjoy,
RustyFuryIII

Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by godblessmud
I may have already posted here, but im not going back to look.

Basically i would never buy a truck UNLESS it has a manual tranny, same for cars.
I will not buy a new vehicle even if i could afford it unless it was offered with a large (351 or bigger) V8 and and a manual transmission.

See...heres a prime example...you don't care how well the truck tows....it could have a 3.6 liter putting out 700 ft-lbs of torque coming through a six speed auto...tow 19000 lbs....but its not a 351 and a manual so you wouldn't buy it?

What happened to logic saying if it does what i need....i'll buy it.....

Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Originally Posted by the Goat
Am I missing something here? If the truck has a manual transmission then you (the driver) can select any gear you want. How does a manual transmission force you to use the wrong gear but an automatic doesn't?
The emissions and EPA mileage requirements are becoming increasing more stringent. Several years ago GM along with EPA came to an agreement that the General could build a car (s) with a manual tranny. The provision included the requirement that under light acceleration the car would force the operator to "skip shifts" of second and third gears.

This "ingenious idea" caused the car to produce less exhaust emissions than going through all the gears. Clever idea, which most people using the cars have defeated. I was attempting to further discuss the requirement as a possible method of emission and mileage enforcement that might be used in the future of manuals in all vehicles, in the future that might have to meet the same requirements. And, that I would rather forego the manual and have a automatic tranny.

Compre de vous, the Goat? More tinfoil is needed than one roll. Place it over all your windows too!

Last edited by Jonas1022; 01-22-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
the Goat
Senior User
The emissions and EPA mileage requirements are becoming increasing more stringent. Several years ago GM along with EPA came to an agreement that the General could build a car (s) with a manual tranny. The provision included the requirement that under light acceleration the car would force the operator to "skip shifts" of second and third gears.

This "ingenious idea" caused the car to produce less exhaust emissions than going through all the gears. Clever idea, which most people using the cars have defeated. I was attempting to further discuss the requirement as a possible method of emission and mileage enforcement that might be used in the future of manuals in all vehicles, in the future that might have to meet the same requirements. And, that I would rather forego the manual and have a automatic tranny.

Compre de vous, the Goat? More tinfoil is needed than one roll. Place it over all your windows too!
Okay the discussion makes a lot more sence after you explained that. Thanks.

For me it sounds like the skip shift system removes the majority of the appeal of owning a manual transmission. I could understand that setup on a car. But with a truck designed for towing the skip shift setup would be murder.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Aberdale Farm
Senior User
Originally Posted by the Goat
Okay the discussion makes a lot more sence after you explained that. Thanks.

For me it sounds like the skip shift system removes the majority of the appeal of owning a manual transmission. I could understand that setup on a car. But with a truck designed for towing the skip shift setup would be murder.
I have an LT1 Corvette that came with the skip shift 6 speed. Dumbest feature I ever saw. It kicked in and out depending on throttle position, (kicking in at low throttle positions, when you needed the lower gear the most) which made the car stumble pulling away from stoplights. I disconnected it within 1 week of ownership. It took 3 minutes to diconnect it, and the six speed has been superb (and fun) ever since. I average 25-26mpg with the six speed. The Corvette I had before this one was an automatic. It averaged 21-22mpg and wasn't near as much fun, but it did leave a free hand for slurpees.

I find it odd that all of my vehicles are manuals except my "tough" truck. I would have certainly opted for an F150 with a manual if it had been available.

Dale

Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
95bluestreak
Freshman User
I enjoy driving a manual transmission. I learned to drive in one ('66 Chevy pickup with three-on-the-tree). My first car ('69 Mustang with 302 ) had a manual 3-speed. My current 95 Flareside has the 5-speed with a 5.0 V8, which I had to special order to get it that way. I made all my kids learn to drive a standard. I have also owned automatic pickups and cars, but prefer the involvement that a standard allows. However, it is becoming a thing of the past, and really knowing how to drive one is becoming a lost art.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
You guys must remember that with the skip shift, it only blocks you out of 2 and 3 if you are a light throttle and not accelerating very fast. If you are into the throttle or accelerating quickly it lets you row the gears just fine. For the majority of people it works just fine.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Only now I understand what is being discussed here, I thought the skip shift applies to auto transmissions, but I guess not. So they actually built a manual transmission that automatically locks out some of the lower gears when accelerating at light throttle..............I think that is one of the dumbest things I ever heard, how can keeping the engine out of its sweet spot be good for emissions???

Both my trucks are autos but I still use manual override almost every time I drive them, I can't understand the logic behind this. As far as I'm concerned a car should follow orders when in traffic, I would hate to loose a few seconds reaction time because the EPA is on the rampage.....

Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Red face

Originally Posted by David85
Only now I understand what is being discussed here, I thought the skip shift applies to auto transmissions, but I guess not. So they actually built a manual transmission that automatically locks out some of the lower gears when accelerating at light throttle..............I think that is one of the dumbest things I ever heard, how can keeping the engine out of its sweet spot be good for emissions???

Both my trucks are autos but I still use manual override almost every time I drive them, I can't understand the logic behind this. As far as I'm concerned a car should follow orders when in traffic, I would hate to loose a few seconds reaction time because the EPA is on the rampage.....
Ummm. I going to go out on a limb here. Congress mandated the change. Just this past fall. And the American manufacturers folded rather than fight it and appear that they could no get their products to market and meet the regulations. The Asian manufacturers have already gone on record stating that they could meet the regulations, but they would rather that Congress would not pass them into law.

EPA is merely an enforcement arm of the Administration. They have no say in the matter. More like a Police Officer. The law is there, if he/she observes you failing to obey the law they will cite you for your violation.

This all came about because of the tree huggers wanting things mandated and the Democratic majority along with several Republicans doing what they were asked to do by the very vocal minority. IMHO, most people are too locked up in their own little world to care a nit one way or the other.

I don't know how many of you have been watching the poll, but it has been interesting. The changes in the percentages seem to reflect an enthusiast population. Which is what this site is all about, even in it's name. But that these percentages seem to have changed over time as people ring in and comment about the question of transmissions. I have nothing else. Just thought it was interesting.

Good question!

Last edited by Jonas1022; 01-24-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
Also keep in mind that "SkipShift" can only work on overpowered (relatively) performance cars, who's power to weight ratio exceeds normal vehicles by a large margin. Our trucks defintely do not belong in this category.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Skip shift, EGR, Diesel particulate filters, retarded valve timing......what next?

These are all designed to reach the same goal of lower particulate emissions, but there are better ways of reaching that goal. The solution is to make the engine more efficient and produce a better fuel burn in the chamber, not pile more emission controls on the exhaust, all that does is increase fuel consumption (especially in the case of DPFs).

One nice thing about older trucks is that there are no emission controls to worry about, oh well, I think I am ranting a bit too much.........

Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
dascro
Senior User
Actually there are different emissions standards for gas and diesel engines. Particulate is a problem only with the diesel. The auto simply removes the human element. I must say i understand why. Have you ever listened to some people drive standard transmissions. It sounds to me like many don't have an idea how to drive them for proper fuel economy

Anyways what is the better way to reduce particulate and NOx in diesel engines? It is very possible to run the engine for low particulate. However then NOx is much higher. It is a very difficult balancing act that will not be getting easier as in 2010 engines are required to have much lower NOx. Sorry for the sensitivity but I was an engineer for a North american truck manufacturer and am very familiar with the process. As sad as it is too say, the DPF and EGR is the best way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you buy a new truck with a Manual transmission?