53-56 Hood - reverse tilt kits? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-56 Hood - reverse tilt kits?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
53-56 Hood - reverse tilt kits?

Did a search on the forum on this topic and found a few threads. Seems most people speak fairly well of a Mid-Fifty kit.

However - which one? They sell two - one called the MMB kit. The other is called the Y2K kit. They say the MMB kit is easier to install....

My question to those of you using the reverse tilt hood kits -

What kit are you using and do you like it? (Both for ease of installation and for smoothness of operation.)

Thanks,

Old 12-31-2007, 05:06 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
CIAF is starting off with a positive reputation.
The MMB stands for " Much More Better" according to Sy at MF. I bought both kits to compare and can honestly say that the other ( which is a No Limit kit) is a nice looking kit but no very easy to install or use. Sy tried telling me this in a kind way so that I would choose the right one, but I did nor read btwn the lines as it were. The MMB is aa CPP kit and will be much better to use and adjust IMO. There a a few on here that have the No Limit and it works fine but most will admit that it took a long way getting there. I do not have the patience for poorly engineered carp so I sold it for a hundred bucks a some poor soul with more time than money. THe CPP/MMB will use the stock hole in the header panel to mount the front hinge and that is but 1 plus. This is the only NL part that should not be sold, the rest of their products are first class. I have no pics until my hood gets painted this spring. Mine is but 1 opinion,but after installing 2 for me and 4 for others, I stand firm.
Jon

Old 12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
The MMB stands for " Much More Better" according to Sy at MF. I bought both kits to compare and can honestly say that the other ( which is a No Limit kit) is a nice looking kit but not very easy to install or use. Sy tried telling me this in a kind way so that I would choose the right one, but I did not read btwn the lines as it were. The MMB is a CPP kit and will be much better to use and adjust IMO. There a a few on here that have the No Limit and it works fine but most will admit that it took a long way getting there. I do not have the patience for poorly engineered carp so I sold it for a hundred bucks a some poor soul with more time than money. The CPP/MMB will use the stock hole in the header panel to mount the front hinge and that is but 1 plus. This is the only NL part that should not be sold, the rest of their products are first class. I have no pics until my hood gets painted this spring. Mine is but 1 opinion,but after installing 2 for me and 4 for others, I stand firm.
Jon

Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
merc546 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with CIAF installed both kits after 1 1/2 years trying to get No Limits kit to work I sold it and bought the CPP kit much nicer. I bought mine directly from CPP and saved at the time about $20.00.

Chuck

Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
e william
Elder User
e william is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the CPP full-pollish kit on my '54. Bought direct to save$. I like the kit alot, when adjusted it works and fits as well as stock hinges ever did.
My only complaint (this might be with all kits) is the way the CPP hinge covers fit. They have a tight bend that covers the edge...I had to open up the bend a little to keep from cutting into my paint and body.
Only other advise is to cover EVERYTHING double-well. My fender took some extra love when the hood corner dug into it!
Ed

Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Truxx1956 has a good reputation on FTE.Truxx1956 has a good reputation on FTE.
Talking

To me, the answer is CLEAR! I got a Mike Chesser kit, and since he is the one who invented it in the first place that speaks well for him. The No Limit kits suck! I seen the other one that Sy sells, and it's ok, but Mike's is much better. I've done several of them, and hands down Mike's the BEST!!! mikechessersautoemporium.com I think is the website, but you might have to do a search engine?? He is in Lawrenceville GA, and is a VERY nice guy!!!

I certainly don't aim to knock Sy out of a sale, I do buy all my other parts from her, but IMO Mike's is the best place to go for this kit.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Ed, this also happened to me with the second set. The covers were completely closed at the fold and there was no way they would ever fit. I sent them back and then got 2 more. They too were a bit tight but I was able to open them up and stuff a 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide bar to the fold and then close it up towards the opening while in the vise. 10 minutes of work and no big issue and no damage to polished SS.
Jon

Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Hey Terry, Happy New year Bud.... Out of curiosity, what is diiferent with the Chessler kit?? I have seen a few in mag pics, but too small to see anything. In the pics it looks like there is a wheel guide on the fender that may be a different shape.
Jon

PS: I looked at all the gallery and project rides on the MC web site and it appears they (or he ) does some awesome work.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 PM
e william
Elder User
e william is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.chesserbuilt.com/

above is the link to Truxx1956 site...kit look well engineered...says everything bolts to an exhisting factory bolt hole....hummm, very interesting....?!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by e william
http://www.chesserbuilt.com/

above is the link to Truxx1956 site...kit look well engineered...says everything bolts to an exhisting factory bolt hole....hummm, very interesting....?!

Yeah, that's the main difference is it uses "stock" holes for reference. I got a 56 in the shop right now with a CPP kit and it has the "hinge hole covers" on it on the WRONG sides. I've got to take them off and turn them around for the guy. I do like the no limit kit in that regard in that it uses them holes for part of the kit. Mike's don' have a provision for that, and since I knew I was definately using his kit, I welded up all the holes and did the body work on them prior to fitting the kit. His kit fits better than any I've ever seen or worked with.

THanks for the link e william, I couldn't remember it.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
thomc
Senior User
thomc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thomc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't mean to knock suppliers out of a sale , but has anyone adapted parts from a mid to late 80's Buick to a truck? I seem to remember seeing trucks several years ago with BMW parts used for the conversion. Before kits were available ,and before Buick used the set-up, I suppose. I intended to build my own when the time comes , but just found a Buick in my favorite local junkyard and will look closer at the Buick to see if anything can be adapted to my truck.I have actually thought about using a system similar to late 40's and early 50's Buicks on which the hoods hinged from either side or could be unlatched on both sides and removed completely. I had an International truck that was built the same way , and loved it. If someone wanted to be really different an idea could be used that I saw on a streetrod a few years ago. The hood was mounted on rods at each corner that allowed the hood to raise straight up about 3 feet.The car was a Hudson , or Studebaker if I remember correctly. I saw it at the Shades of the Past rodrun at Pigeon Forge Tn.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

Yes I've seen several at shows that were just Buick Le Sabre hood hinges adapted to the truck hood. They work well, and there's nothing wrong with that, the only thing is you need to build it and "tune" it before paint time. That way you can make marks or drill 1/8" holes through all the moving parts to "Key" it back in the exact same place, so that after paint, you can put it back together without scratching it up.

You might look through some of the galleries on here and find one of a fellow FTE member?

Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feed back.
It really clarifies things for me.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Outlaw56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Outlaw56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I want to bring this thread back to the top. Im presently looking at two front tilt hood kits. Mike Chessers and MID Fifty MMB. Does anyone have anything more to offer with experience in either option?