Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 03:49 PM
tsbirago
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

Opinions on which type of tonneau cover and why, velcro holddown or snaps? Don't want the clam shell type.
Do they work well with the plastic rail cap that comes with the 2001 F-150?
I plan on doing the install myself, don't see a reason to farm it out.
Live in the Mid Atlantic states so I get a real good change in temps over the year.
TIA
TB

Old 02-11-2002, 10:39 AM
fordatlast
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

>Opinions on which type of tonneau cover and why, velcro
>holddown or snaps? Don't want the clam shell type.
>Do they work well with the plastic rail cap that comes with
>the 2001 F-150?
>I plan on doing the install myself, don't see a reason to
>farm it out.
>Live in the Mid Atlantic states so I get a real good change
>in temps over the year.
>TIA
>TB

I have a sportmaster soft tonnel cover with the snaps and the cross bars to keep it stable at highway speeds. Other than the fact that I have to remove it for tall items it works fine. It is about 99% water tight. Only get a few drips when it really rains hard. I didn't install mine myself so I really don't know how hard it was to install. I had the dealer do it.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 PM
blacklightningf150
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

I've got a 2000 F150 and this winter got a Soft Tonneau cover, it goes on easy.... real easy if your mechanicaly inclined then it will take roughly 20min to install... this was the one from Ford the clamshell one as you put it... i wouldnt go with velcro or Snaps my aunt and uncle have the snaps and its really hard to get them to snap closed and stay there and the velcro wears out after a while.... with weather change theres a problem i installed mine at work in a warm shop as soon as the truck went outside and from that time on in the cold weather here in Ontario Canada its almost impossible to remove the cover.... i've had mine on for 2 months now and no complaints !! Works great and improves fuel milage, not by much but every little bit helps these days

2000 F150 Extended Cab 4x4 Sport

Old 02-13-2002, 06:12 PM
gabz
Junior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

I had the aftermarket (NOT Factory installed - they aren't as good I've heard) tonneau. THe frame clamps onto the sides of the bed. Three cross braces. Snaps all around. You will have trouble if you try to "close it" when it's cold. I've used a hair dryer to heat up sections of it when I had to cover up in cold temps. A heated garage would have worked too.
Apply vaseline to your snaps and use an Armor-all like product a few times a year. I busted out one snap early on... then learned about the vaseline and warming the cover up if necessary. I love having a locking tailgate and the cover... I know it's not complete security, but it keeps the stuff clean back there (and dry!)

Oh, with my after market kit, the snaps in the rails were fastened with screws so that if necessary, they could be loosened and adjusted to match the cover snaps! Wonderful.

Old 02-14-2002, 12:46 AM
pepper32
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

I also have the Sportmaster. Very good quality, easy to install and maintain.

Old 02-14-2002, 03:47 PM
tony_f250LD
New User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

I've got the CoverCraft rail-system tonneau on my '99 F250LD short bed. Love it. Bought it from JCWhitney. It only takes about 20-30 minutes to install, and all you need is a wrench and a tape measure. It uses clamps to attach to the bed rails, and you need to measure out the position of the clamps, as the bows fit to the clamp positions. Got to make it all look nice and neat, you know.

The CoverCraft tonneau uses nice, heavy snaps that snap into a channel on the rails -- not those silly buttons. I've never had them inadvertently come undone -- quite the opposite. It takes firm action to snap and unsnap these things. They give you a handy tool to slide under the snaps that pops them out relatively easily. The front rail of the cover has nylon straps and buckles that you use to secure the tonneau in a roll behind the cab when you're carrying something tall, and the back rail (over the tailgate) has quick-release corners so you can remove it easily to accomodate long cargo in the bed. I love it, and no, I don't work for CoverCraft. I just think they made a really cool product here.

My only complaint is that you can get third-freakin'-degree burns unsnapping and snapping this thing on a 105 degree Texas summer afternoon!! This thing gets HOT!

Just my $0.02. Tony.

Old 02-16-2002, 11:46 PM
Kenny2358
New User
Post Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

Look into the Extang Classic Platnum.I have it on my 2001 F-150 reg. cab flareside and love it.Very versatile.Snaps and bows both adjust for cold or warm weather.It also has 3 year warranty on tarp and no drill installation.Avoid the Black Max it has plastic snaps on the bed rails that I thought might break in the cold or from wear and tear..Good luck.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Lemineur
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Feb-02 AT 02:01 AM (EST)]Hello, sorry for my bad english.
Think very good before decide to buy a cover for the rear of your F150 : hardtop, hard tonneau in one part, hard tonneau in two parts, alu-deck in two parts...
I had all of this and the most usefull is the last one: alu-deck.
For many changes of weather, the hardtop is the best solution but you need help to remove it when you want. Hard tonneau is more esthetic and very good by rain, no problems...but a little bit hard to open. (installation better true dealer because is not easy to put the things in the right place).
You can see the different solutions on my gallery Good luck

See my gallery in User Gallery at "1997 F150 Lariat"

Old 02-27-2002, 01:57 AM
mountainman
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

i have a A.R.E. on my 99. matches the hood. bought it cause use to live in the "hood." it works great 800 bucks. had some problems with it but dealing with them. nothing major. the thing the ARE has the double hydrolics on it so in the winter it holds fine and much smoother. plus the lock is in the back so doesnt freeze up. im getting a full cap now that i moved. and the leer "browning editon" is what i want... yakima rack on top, gun and storage along one side, a jacket tubular rack on the back right side. carpet top to down, (option) screens put in so u can sleep in it (option) and non tinted front cuz i dont have a sliding window,, only time id want one cuz they look goofy if u dont have a cap on. all for 2800. plus if its still in effect browning hunting stuff. ill keep my toneau. if u ever noticed the new stlyle ford with a ARE u would know what i mean. it only ways 150lbs. u can carry it like a canoe. but its not hard to find another buddy to help u. i'll rest it on two fifty gallon plastic drums and store my work stuff under it. soft covers may work but if i had one it would remotely unbutton and if i lived in the south i get it out of leather and dye it lite.

Old 02-27-2002, 01:03 PM
Superbru
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

I looked at your photo gallery. Great job!!! What a great looking truck. Are full sized American Pickups very common in your country?

Superbru
2002 F150 Super Crew
5.4 4X4 Lariat

Old 02-28-2002, 02:50 AM
Lemineur
Senior User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Feb-02 AT 03:51 AM (EST)]Message to Superbru

I read your message from 27-02-02...I suppose that was for me and my F150...in belgium?
There are quite no american trucks in belgium...I think only 30/40 trucks (ford, gmc, chevrolet, dodge). Mine comes from Florida (second hand from dealer, with 24.000 miles and perfect.). I do reportages (digital photo and video) and my truck is my advertising and I want he has the american look...he is knowed now in all the country. It's quite completed...I drived before BMW 635CSI coupé and some other cars...I will never more "cars", I only want to drive a truck and the Ford is the most comfortable, better than chevy and dodge!...sorry, it is MY opinion

Old 03-03-2002, 01:09 AM
slk
New User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150

I put a Pace-Edwards roll-top cover on my '97 back in the spring of 98. I've had other trucks with everything from no cover, to soft toneau, and hard covers, but this roll-top is really sweet.

It is constructed with aluminum slats covered by a flexible cover that looks like the soft toneau. It locks the bed and due to the aluminum, it is more secure than any soft cover that a butter knife will soon destroy. Opening and closing is much simpler than a soft cover, too...no extra rails to remove and store.

As with anything, there are negatives. You give up about 9" of bed space for the canister which holds the rolled up cover, but this rests on the top of the bed, so you still have full access to the front of the bed for approximately the bottom half.

I lived in NM when I installed the cover. It performed well there for 3 years. Now I live in the midwest, and the only issue I've come across was an icy issue last winter involving the canister becoming partly filled with ice and snow so that the cover would only roll up about halfway. As it turned out, that was primarily my fault for not realizing the autumn leaves had plugged the drain holes.

Anyway, I paid $600 for mine in '98 and I think it was a worthwhile purchase.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:53 PM
jetcatron
Freshman User
Tonneau cover 2001 F-150