Computer Chips & Tuners  

what im left with

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 AM
67blueford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what im left with

I have a 2000 f-150 4.6 Ive upgraded to royal purple in the tranny and rear end mobile one synthetic in the engine flow 40 duals pipes , short of a supercharger or nos the last two things I can do are electric fans and a chip/tuner I am tired of thinking Im going to get some horse power out of these items I wana know the truth. REAL WORLD NUMBERS. I also want to know why it cost 450+ bucks to get a electric fan this is almost a joke of a price unless It will be a proven 15 hp gain (less waste) Im thinking that I may just take the fan off and get my truck dynoed at a local place before it overheats just to see what it would really do for my truck before I spend all that money on it. Thats not to say I havnt seen a wake up in my truck from the parts I have put on. Does anyone here have real world numbers from tuners/ fans that they have installed

Old 12-28-2007, 02:35 PM
67blueford
Junior User
i forgot to mention that I have also put on k&n air intake and oil filter

Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Kymber
Senior User
Careful with that K&N filter. I started using them and I have had bad oil circulation problems....Mind you I am not saying that is what it is from I am just saying to be careful.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Chris,

How did you have bad oil circulation problems? I'm curious... what do you mean by that? The reason I ask is the K&N filter appears to be a Mobile 1 filter with a nut attached to the end of it. Mobile 1 has some very high quality filters.

Real world numbers for a 4.6 are going to vary (the engines can vary from the factory by as much as 10% due to PCM code and tolerances). You can see real world between 15 to low 20s HP gain. Bar none, a chip/tuner is usually the best bang for the buck, far more effective than an intake or exhaust.

Check out Troyer for the efan kit. He has a group buy going on right now, just let him know you heard about it on Ford-trucks.com. I've seen real improvement with mine but my numbers don't apply to you (5.4L with a supercharger).

Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Kymber
Senior User
ken

well before my current troubles began

i started using the k/n filter and at first everything was cool, after about the third oil change I started to devolpe a knock and losing oil pressure. I took it to Ford and they gave me some mombo jumbo about the filter and back pressure. I thought they were full of it but I went to Fram High Milage and all is well since.