1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any F350 advice, concerns welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
ibrick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any F350 advice, concerns welcome!

Hi all, new to FTE, always been a Ford Fanatic but looking forward to be back from my Toyota experiments.

Looking to buy a 2001 350 DRW 4X4 7.3L diesel with 4 sp Auto tomorrow and need reassurance from you that I got this figured out correctly. I plan on pulling a 5th wheel with a GVRW of 15,500lbs and a hitch weight of 1970lbs, am I pushing the GVRW to much as other Ford sites are stating any where from 11K to 13K GVRW for towing?

Will also be purchasing in the US and importing into Canada. Does anybody feel I will have a problem due to the air cleaner being modded out to a K&M system from factory? I know the canuck inspection will require me to get day time running lights to pass the final inspection but will there be anything else you can think of?

Will spend the rest of the day doing searches here for the info but want to make sure I cover these important concerns before I commit to the purchase tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help! -Rick

Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The 350 DRW will do fine towing that weight. If the truck has a K&N filter on it, you need to pull the intake hose and inspect the turbo wheel for any signs of dusting. If the K&N isn't taken care of properly it can dust the engine (which means it's time for a new engine)

Here's some more reading for you on buying a new 7.3 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Edit: Welcome to FTE. Lot's of good info here.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
fordsbyjay
Cross-Country
A new speedo head is around $800 if they require that to be changed. When I brought my truck from Canada it depended on which state you were importing too so I am not sure if it will be a provincial requirement or a federal requirement.

If you search around there is a Wix air filter you can install which is pretty low buck and supposed to work much better than the K&N.

Here is a very helpful site for tech. Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Page

On this and some of the other Diesel/superduty sites there is a ton of tech for pretty much anything to do with your truck so you will be in good hands here. I am talking about tech from changing ball joints to disarming that stupid door dinger when the door is open. You name and someone has fixed it.

I would recommend the 4" MBRP exhaust (not loud at driving speeds) and a custom chip (like DPtuner) and the wix air filter. The power and fuel mileage will be unbelievable over stock.

Good luck and keep us updated on what it takes to import to Canada as their are alot of Canadians on the site.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
ibrick
New User
Thanks for the info F350-6 and fordsbyjay,

F350-6, Thanks for the link, good info that I will cover in my discussions tomorrow before I make my long distance commitment. Sorry, I thought K&N but have been informed that it's an AFE air intake, will still get some confirmation that dusting is not present.

fordsbyjay, found lots of good info in my searches here and looking forward to make this bad boy mine, thanks for the exhaust and chip leads, will let you know how it goes once I give this thing its new citizenship.
Canadian feds will be giving me a decal with km/mph conversions for speedo if the rules on their site haven't changed. Have a friend who's wife works for Canadian Customs and she's going to look over my info in the morning before I commit to ensure no nasty or costly surprises. Lots of deals and unbelievable selection in the States compared to whats available here in Canada, will write up my import experience and how I did it if successful in the purchase tomorrow. fingers crossed -Rick

Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
AFE is a good filter if it's taken care of. Since the initial expense is out of the way, you should be good with it. Maybe you'll want to check into one of Pete's covers for it.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
ibrick
New User
Great idea, pics are just showing the ribbed paper now, thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM
fordsbyjay
Cross-Country
Which part of Canada are you taking it too? I find it always helps when you know a customs agent.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:02 PM
ibrick
New User
Through Coutts to Calgary fordsbyjay

Old 06-29-2008, 09:23 PM
fordsbyjay
Cross-Country
Is that all finished now? We came down through there 5 years ago and it looked like they were starting to expand. I have not driven back since.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 PM
ibrick
New User
Yup, quite the operation now, way different than the Sunday beer runs to Sweetgrass back in the old ALCB days.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE, ibrick!

I'd like to encourage you to check out the 99-03 7.3L PSD section, as well. LOTS to learn about these diesels, from common modifications to maintenance. There's even a sticky in the section on those very topics (it's also linked in my sig ).

Warning... modifying a diesel is a very slippery slope. Enjoy!