2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Alarm / Remote Start Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:13 PM
littlewillie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Market Alarm / Remote Start Suggestions

I'm ready to put an after market alarm / remote start on my 2005. I had one on the last truck which was a 91 Chevy. I'm sure some of the technology has changed since then. Can you give me some input on what you have, how long you’ve had it & how satisfied you are with the way it performs?

Thanks,
Willie

Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the ford kit, got it put on a few weeks ago. Works great....

Old 12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
tomdoggie
Senior User
I had a code alarm put in my 04. Had it installed by the auto additions

shop. they are the same people who install for my dealership only about 1/2
of the price. Been installed for 4 years and it still works great.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

I havde the Crimestopper unit on my '05 F-150. Had it installed at a local Ford dealer last April. No problems whatsoever, and the remote works from quite a distance. This unit was recommended to me by many friends who have the same unit. No complaints whatsoever from any of them.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
I have a Python unit from DEI. Has the 2-way remote with a 1 mile range and works great. No issues.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:32 PM
hondaguy
New User
I have and installed it myself, a Code Alarm remote start. Truck already had remote locks. Got the unit from web site below. He will wire it for you and give you complete installation instructions. Travis is great, and will answer any questions either by email or a phone call. Unit works great and has very good range.

http://kcautosound.com/home.php

Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
littlewillie
Freshman User
Hey Guys, Thanks for everyone's input.

black04lariat, I had a DEI Python on my 91 Chevy since 2000. Had some circuit board problems with it before I got rid of it this year. The main issue was it would go into remote start on its own. After it remote started, it didn’t know it had started & the starter with stay engaged. Happened 4 times. That’ll get your attention. Finally got that fixed. I’m not degrading DEI products they are good. I just had a bad experience. Did you do the install your in your truck?
You posted in my electric tail lock thread about “wantin one”. I’ve got a DIY for the installation in my gallery. No excuses now!!

tomdoggie & hondaguy, I’m looking closer at this unit. Have a few questions. Did you do your own installation? How long & difficult was it to install? Does your door keypad still work? Does it disable the factory security system? Does the horn sound when you arm it? What is the optional headlight relay do?

<O
Willie

Old 12-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by littlewillie

tomdoggie & hondaguy, I’m looking closer at this unit. Have a few questions. Did you do your own installation? How long & difficult was it to install? Does your door keypad still work? Does it disable the factory security system? Does the horn sound when you arm it? What is the optional headlight relay do?

<o></o>
Willie
Willie,
I have a 2006 f150 and just got done installing the code alarm 530, http://kcautosound.com/Code-Alarm-CA-530-Deluxe-Remote-Starter-Keyless-Entry-c-235-p-1-pr-65.html I also bought it from Kcautosound.com

I paid for the pre wire and directions, but shortly after I ordered I found them from ford online for nothing. He really does nothing more the cut the unnecessary wires for you, and tapes them in bundles were they need to be routed.

To answer your questions

Did you do your own installation?

1- I did do my own installation (First one)

How long & difficult was it to install?

2- It took me about 6 hours to do, I was being careful taking all the trim pieces off not to break them, and finding the right wires to tap into, some a are little difficult to find as they are bundled so tightly with many others, Also once I saw the correct color wire I tested it just to be sure. Over all not bad at just take your time and do a good job at the connections. I also soldered and taped all connections
Does your door keypad still work?

3- I don’t have a door key pad, but my dad does on his truck but also has a different unit in his truck (Ultra Start) and I believe his key pad does still work, never really checked it, will tomorrow.

Does it disable the factory security system?
4- For the unit to start the truck to need to also by a bypass unit to disable the PATS system. It is called the KX04 http://kcautosound.com/Ford-c-372.html

Does the horn sound when you arm it?

5- Yes it does on the second press of the button to lock, and the second press of unlock. It also honks one time when the truck has been started by the remote. You can also change it to honk on first button press for lock/unlock and no honk when it starts through programming.

What is the optional headlight relay do?

6- The headlight relay I did not use, but it allows your headlights to come on for 30 seconds by holding the unlock button for 3 seconds. You have to hook up 5 extra wires from the relay, I found it unnecessary.

Overall I am happy with the unit after a small problem. That is I needed to hook up the tach wire which had been cut short by Travis, as he has you just use a set crank time and no tach input. But what I found is that the set crank was only 1.5 seconds and at -10F outside that was not long enough to start the truck. So I need to go back in a make the wire longer to pick up the tack signal at a fuel injector. And make sure it is at a fuel injector not an ignition coil, because weird thing can happen if your not.

Hope this helps in your decision

Josh

Old 12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
littlewillie
Freshman User
Josh, thanks for the detailed reply. After doing some research on Code Alarm I found out that they are an Audiovox product. Audiovox has never been considered a hi quality product line. After talking with the guy that had worked on my Python 1500EXP on my 91 Chevy, I’m looking at the DEI Python line again. He can install a Python 990 with the factory bypass & the window control for $450. That includes the 990 unit. The best price I’ve seen to just buy the unit is around $500.

Willie

Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Josh, thanks for the detailed reply. After doing some research on Code Alarm I found out that they are an Audiovox product. Audiovox has never been considered a hi quality product line. After talking with the guy that had worked on my Python 1500EXP on my 91 Chevy, I’m looking at the DEI Python line again. He can install a Python 990 with the factory bypass & the window control for $450. That includes the 990 unit. The best price I’ve seen to just buy the unit is around $500.

Willie
I hear you on what you are saying about Audiovox, I found that out also after I had mine put in. Another brand you should look at is the Ultra Start. This is the unit my dad has in his 06 F150 and is really a nice unit, I believe it has a 3000 foot range and has many more options that you can program and a smart tach mode.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
black04lariat
Elder User

Willie
Thats a good deal on the 990. Probably because the new version is the 1090 I believe. I love my 990. I installed it myself (used to be an installer) and has been working great ever since. Just be sure to get yourself some rechargable AAA batteries for the remote. They like to eat them up quick.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
o2civic
Freshman User
Clifford... I have the 50.5x with Smart Windows and Remote Start... Simply amazing.

http://clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=701

Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 PM
littlewillie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
Another brand you should look at is the Ultra Start. This is the unit my dad has in his 06 F150 and is really a nice unit, I believe it has a 3000 foot range and has many more options that you can program and a smart tach mode.
I researched these after your post & I didn't find alot of information. There was only 1 dealer in my area & they only sold the units & no installation.
Originally Posted by o2civic
Clifford... I have the 50.5x with Smart Windows and Remote Start... Simply amazing.
I looked at this unit after your post. It's another DEI product line. It looks to be the same unit as the Python 990 & Viper 5900.

At first I was interested in doing my own install when I was looking at the Code Alarm. After talking with the guy that worked on my last truck's alarm, he's gonna do it & I'll help him. He installed the DEI line for about 7 years & recommends these.

Originally Posted by black04lariat
Just be sure to get yourself some rechargable AAA batteries for the remote. They like to eat them up quick.
I have read this from others reviews.

Can you link me to a web page that shows all the add on extras for the 990? I found the one's for the Clifford 50.5x on the DEI site but they don't show anything for the Python 990 or the Viper 5900.
We bought our 05 this past May in Americus Ga. It's about 120 miles from family in Hazlehurst. We live in Memphis TN. First thing I had to do to it was replace the front tag red "G" with a orange "T".

Willie

Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM
o2civic
Freshman User
I researched these after your post & I didn't find alot of information. There was only 1 dealer in my area & they only sold the units & no installation.
I looked at this unit after your post. It's another DEI product line. It looks to be the same unit as the Python 990 & Viper 5900.

At first I was interested in doing my own install when I was looking at the Code Alarm. After talking with the guy that worked on my last truck's alarm, he's gonna do it & I'll help him. He installed the DEI line for about 7 years & recommends these.

I have read this from others reviews.

Can you link me to a web page that shows all the add on extras for the 990? I found the one's for the Clifford 50.5x on the DEI site but they don't show anything for the Python 990 or the Viper 5900.
We bought our 05 this past May in Americus Ga. It's about 120 miles from family in Hazlehurst. We live in Memphis TN. First thing I had to do to it was replace the front tag red "G" with a orange "T".

Willie

Willie:

Yes, the 50.5x is just like the 5900. The difference is just the color of the remote.. while the 5900 is blue, the 50.5x is faux carbon fiber. Same company makes the those alarms.

I added on window modules to close all open windows upon arming and to remote open the windows. I also added an internal air pressure sensor, digital tilt sensor and some other sensor that senses movement around the outside of the vehicle.. I have personally started my truck from half a mile away with obstructions such as trees and one story buildings. why? I just wanted to test their claims.. =)

Great alarm..

Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
littlewillie
Freshman User
02, Did you do the install yourself? What was your total cost with the extras?

Willie

Quick Reply: After Market Alarm / Remote Start Suggestions