Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air Horns for XMAS !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:11 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Air Horns for XMAS !!

Wife got me a set of Kleinn 500 series air horns w/ a 6120 compressor for xmas.

http://kleinnairhorns.com/500Series...._Air_Horns.htm

I am going to have to install these on the passenger side frame rail due to their size. They are pretty big. I want to wire these to go off with factory horn, but want them on a switch to turn on and off for inspection purposes.

Does anyone have pictures of their install? What color wire is the one you tapped into for the horn? I know it is run by ground, as I've made the horn go off with the test light when looking for a good ground.

Kris, I know your setup is ba--ss!! I appreciate all the help I can get since I would like to install these later today or tomorrow.

Merry Xmas everyone !! Happy Holidays!!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:16 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats just to cool.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:40 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To get you started, look into the large harness of wires that run over top of the engine on the wiper cowl. I spliced into mine close to the right fender. Carefully cut the tape and uncover the wires. Look for a yellow with green tracer wire. Cut it, and then hit the horn. it's a 12v positive to the horn itself. I cut it, and then ran both ends to a switch under the dash. One position was the stock horn, the center was nothing, and the other position went to a relay that sent straight battery power to the solenoid. I ran 8 gauge wire for the compressor, and 10 gauge from the battery to a relay, to the solenoid. I also have the air compressor on a switch, it has it's own pressure switch, but there's times when you don't want to hear the thing running. So, i turn it on when im moving, and then when i come to a stop i turn it off, that way if i hit the horn, the compressor doesnt come on then.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
thanks kris! That's what i needed to know. I think I am going to wire the compressor to a power source that is hot w/ key on.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Let me know if you need any help.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very Nice David! ><]--}}}}}} - BUUUUUURRRRRRRRR Merry Christmas. Country

Last edited by countrycar; 12-25-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Thanks guys. SO , i thought i was going to install the horns today, but it didn't happen. I got to my dad's shop ~1 and promised the wife I'd be back by 4. Well, I spent the first 2 hours discussing where to mount everything with my pops. he didn't like the idea of mounting everything on the frame rail, and neither did I. So here is the plan for tomorrow:

I am going to run the ground wire from the horn switch and the "hot w/ key" to behind the backseat on the passenger side. this is where I am going to put the compressor. it's almost like it was built to fit there- it's not loud at all. right under the seat next to this location is a grommet that gives access to under the truck. this is right where I am going to put the horns on the frame rail.

I didn't want to put them there, but I pretty much don't have a choice. I don't have a headache rack and my toolbox doesn't allow for one. I don't want to mount them on the cab as I'm worried about wind resistance damage. These horns are big and I don't want to remove the spare- so that is where they have to go.

Those of you that have them mounted this way- do you do much off road driving? what kind of shape are they in now? after how long?

Sorry for the long wind....

Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Install is done. I ended up using a separate push button for the air horns. I also put a toggle switch for the power going to the compressor. I am very happy!

Thanks for the help guys!

On another note, I keep reading the laws about horns and it pretty much seems like they are illegal, but we will see how that goes.

Happy Holidays!!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Why did you install a separate push button? You may can turn the air pressure down and come in under the legal decibels.
Joe

Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Yep, push button to fire the horns. Actually, I was hoping the horn would have been louder. They are LOUD though. Either way, seems like its illegal to use an air horn in a moving vehicle anyway.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:03 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
I sure won't argue the laws with you (especially since I'm in Georgia and you're in Texas) but how do the big rigs get by with them? Are you sure it's not talking about hand held air horns? The reason I ask is I am within a couple of months of buying a set for my truck.
Joe

Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up

Where did you research the legality of air horns? I have come up empty on my searches....I've got 160 db train horns under my seat pointing forward. I blow 145-150 psi through them...THEY ROCK!! Literally...rock my feet everytime I blast them....

Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
That's the thing- I won't argue anything about it. I searched through different site (findlaw, etc....) and they had different info for different states, but the actual TX DOT site DIDN'T have any info. But, apparently Florida is the worst as there are a lot of complaints about tickets and such!

Take it with a grain of salt, but I guess it pretty much depends on the officer who pulls you over.

§ 547.501. AUDIBLE WARNING DEVICES. (a) A motor
vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that
emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at
least 200 feet.
(b) A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not
use on a vehicle a siren[0], whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:
(1) a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft
alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an
ordinary warning signal; or
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped
with a siren[0], whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.
(c) A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide
audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.
(d) A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an
unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

Part D is the biased one.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
does a horn system that makes your ear wax turn into liquid count as legal?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
does a horn system that makes your ear wax turn into liquid count as legal?

I bet. I think mine are loud, but I bet yours are obscene Kris!

I know in TX, it wont pass inspection with just air horns. again, depends on who is inspecting it...

Either way, I don't care. I just cant wait to get behind someone pushing their shipping cart in the middle isle of a parking lot. You know, those people who tend to push slower after you honk at them.....(for some reason its usually LARGE women)..... Can't wait!!!!

Quick Reply: Air Horns for XMAS !!