Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:47 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would you do?

Most of you know i've been having problems with oil leaking from my "new" terminator pumps, installed 10-20-06. A day or two after i installed it, it began leaking. I pulled the pumps several times in hopes of finding the leaks. (i know how to do it TOO well)... I eventually found the leak and had it sent out to a technician in NJ over the Thanksgiving holiday, which cost me several days without a truck, missing an awesome country concert without my truck, and a big hassle. In that period i left my mark every where i went, exact copies of the lowest points of my truck are left where ever i went. Disgruntled parents (oil coated driveway) and a disgruntled mother-in-law (future) is what im dealing with. I lost over 4 gallons of oil in this time, the expensive 9000 schaeffers oil, and a disgusting oil coated truck.

Well it's leaking again. It's been a month since it stopped leaking, and out of no where the SAME leak rears its head again, for no reason. I haven't been under the hood since i fixed it, so i don't know what made it come back. But, i do know im fed up with this BS, im ready to send it back. I told him the next time it leaks im returning it, and lucky for him it didn't leak when i got it back. The only reason i don't want to send it back is because i think it's the best design on the market. I like how it's set up, and it supposedly holds the highest ICP of all the BO systems on the market. And, im thinking that the high ICP has destroyed my stock injectors in a matter of two months. Before they were perfectly silent and now, it's horrible how loud and clacky they are. I thought at first that i had the AE injector cackle, and i was going to replace it, but it now sometimes sounds like i have 5 or 6 injectors that are doing it. The idle sputters randomly and the truck shakes randomly too. So, i think my injectors are on the way out.

Ive got a few options-
-Send the terminator back, use a single stock pump, keep stock injectors
-keep the terminator, get it fixed, and pray im not in this situation again
-Send the terminator back, get a stock pump, and 160cc AC's to fix my stock injectors. Single shots would help my injector issue, sound cooler, and give more power while not really needing big oil...
-Run the Pulse HPOP with 160cc singles
-Send the terminator back, and buy BTS big oil. Still wouldn't help my injectors.

Oh and to top it off, the girlfriend was complaining again last night about the lack of smoke my truck puts out. I told her it was due to the big oil, she doesn't like it. So for her vote, i'd guess stock HPOP and 160cc singles.

What do you think FTE? How would you react?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:03 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Term have any ideas as far as the issue/cause?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
He said he's never seen this before in the 125+ pumps he's built and sold. However mine's done it twice now. The first one happened because he forgot to tell me to torque the pumps together before tightening the IPR block. I tightened the IPR block to the pumps before the pumps were tightened together, and it caused a little clearance for an o-ring to blow out. Well it was fixed right supposedly, and it did it again. And it's not helping my injectors any if i do get a complete new terminator system.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I'd go back with the stock pump & 160cc singles. In fact, that's what I'll have shortly. Then when I get back from Iraq, if it seems like it could use some help with the HPOP pressure, I'll put the PULSE in. That will be just in time for the NorthTexasPowerStroke Rally in October...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd tell them that it's time for them to exchange that lemon pump out with another brand new one and start all over. If the second one gives trouble then it's money back time and go with the stock pump and the 160s.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kris, I thought you wanted to stick with the termy because of future upgrades? If that idea is gone, I would have to say the Termy could go, but I would think he ought to be able to get it right. You just need to turn down the ICP some VIA Jody and you ought to be fine. Plenty of volume without the excessive pressure.

This is why I stick to the decals, plenty of go fast and none have leaked a drop of oil so far. Sorry, couldn't help it. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
He said he's never seen this before in the 125+ pumps he's built and sold. However mine's done it twice now. The first one happened because he forgot to tell me to torque the pumps together before tightening the IPR block. I tightened the IPR block to the pumps before the pumps were tightened together, and it caused a little clearance for an o-ring to blow out. Well it was fixed right supposedly, and it did it again. And it's not helping my injectors any if i do get a complete new terminator system.
This post gives me a clue that perhaps the initial installation being incorrect caused a slight deformity to develope on the pump body.
Reason I say this; HPOP pressure is high enough to gouge metal out.
The example that I can give is from my own job.
VW/Audi diesel engines operate at 2200-2400 psi in the injector lines. If you don't get those steel lines torqued on straight and true, they will develope a leak and it will dig a channel on the sealing surface of the flange. Once that happens, there is nothing to do to fix it but to buy a whole new injector and steel injector line. .
Now your Terminator pump is made of aluminum, much softer and it has been giving you trouble with leaks. I'm willing to bet that there is some imperfection somewhere that is allowing a leak to develope. At those pressures, it's pretty easy for the fluid to find it's way out.
Audi power steering pumps on the old 5000 series vehicles have a similar design to the HPOP, are made out of steel, and like to develope leaks.
They have a six cylinder swash plate design.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
But the thing is, it's leaking on the low pressure circuit. I was told it was the feed for the rear pump leaking.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Kris sorry to hear that you are having problems. if you need to borrow my stock injectors let me know, and ill send them to you . in case that you want to build them yourself or you have to send yours out not to pay the core.
im there for you anytime..

just let me know

Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
You know, on second thought, I'm with Mike. For that kind of cabbage, that thing needs to be right. I'm sure he will, given the chance. Unless you're just fed up with dealing with it and he's willing to give you the refund... Then you can go with the 160cc SS's and still get the PULSE, if you want...

Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
I guess I'd vote option 1 he replaces the pump under the theory that the pump itself is a lemon
#2 is trade to a different pump i.e. BTS or Stealth, even tho you prefer this design
Option 3 is singles but I will say with a stealth and Dennis' "Stage 1+" singles, I dont think I buy for one second that you can do those on a stock pump. Idling, sure. But at WOT it takes everything I have.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Kris, give Joey another call and give him a chance to step up to the plate. I feel confident he will do whatever needs to be done to make it right. There are too many big HP guys running this handcrafted system for him to have anyone with problems. Use the above average maturity that you have been gifted with, and talk to him about it rationally. After Joey fixes the BO problem then address the injectors(you know you have been wanting to anyway), just dont add a larger turbo and then your girl gets the smoke back.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
That sucks Kris. I'd give Joey another chance.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Kris, sorry to hear about the BO problems. I'm with Jeremy and Brandon. Take Care and Merry Christmas to all. Country

Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
But the thing is, it's leaking on the low pressure circuit. I was told it was the feed for the rear pump leaking.
Ok.
Cracked pump housing then? Flaw in the casting itself?
Stranger things have happened.

Quick Reply: What would you do?