Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

rough idle on 2001 ford escape

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
ric01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rough idle on 2001 ford escape

Hello everyone, hope you can help.
My 2001 Escape has a very rough idle everytime I turn it on. Its worse when I turn it on first thing in the morning. I took it to a Sears auto and they could not figure it out. There is also no check engine light either. I love it but am honestly baffled. We replaced the PCV, changed the spark plug wires and spark plugs. Engine has 111000 miles on it. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I have been told by some folks that they do not think its O2 sensors but I dont know.

Please let me know what you think.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Welcome to FTE.

If I had to guess, I would say that your brake hiss and your rough idle may be related. Your power brake booster may be shot which is causing a vacuum leak and the vacuum leak may be causing the rough idle.

Without driving the car, disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster and plug it. Then see if the hissing sound and rough idle go away.

You may also want to put a vacuum gauge on the engine to see if there is a difference with the brake booster hooked up versus disconnected.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM
richert01
New User
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
Welcome to FTE.

If I had to guess, I would say that your brake hiss and your rough idle may be related. Your power brake booster may be shot which is causing a vacuum leak and the vacuum leak may be causing the rough idle.

Without driving the car, disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster and plug it. Then see if the hissing sound and rough idle go away.

You may also want to put a vacuum gauge on the engine to see if there is a difference with the brake booster hooked up versus disconnected.
Thanks for the welcome. I changed the idle air control valve early this morning (before I read your reply) and it seems to have fixed the rough idle. The ride is much better however, he true test for the IAC valve will be tomorrow morning once the car has cooled over night.

I am interested in trying your vacuum hose suggestion. Is this something that I can try on my own or is some knowhow involved.

Thanks again....

I will keep you posted.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by richert01
I am interested in trying your vacuum hose suggestion. Is this something that I can try on my own or is some knowhow involved.
If you can find the master cylinder and then find the brake booster you should be able to find the large vacuum line that goes to it. Unclamp it, pull it off at one end and plug it with something big enough to plug the hose and not get pulled in. You could even use your thumb to plug it and have a helper start the vehicle.

If you can change an IAC yourself, this should be nothing. Just make sure you put it back togther correctly before driving the vehicle.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:36 PM
richert01
New User
I checked the vacuum as you advised. It stops hissing when I go ahead and plug the vacuum hose after removing off the brake booster. I will be placing the brake booster on order at Autozone. Once, I go ahead and replace I will get back to you with a staus update. I am fairly confident that this will resolve the issue once and for all. is there anything you can tell me about removing the booster? Anything you might know? Thanks a million!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

I've never done one in an Escape but I would advise you to make drawings or take pictures of everything before taking it apart. You may even want to get a good manual that will show you how to do it. Start early in the day in case you need to go to the parts house or tool store halfway through.

And if all else fails, once you get it apart, just come on here and yell HELP and we'll do our best to get you through it.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 AM
1978Crew
Senior User
How was the idle when the car was cold? after you changed the IAC. My Gfriend's 2001 is doing the same thing. I tried to clean the IAC but she still has the same problem.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
richert01
New User
The idle got a little better after I replaced the IAC but it was still there. I had decided to replace it because it was just really really dirty. There was no cleaning it to an acceptable level.