Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:41 AM
rustydailey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering gearbox

Well I broke the steering shaft coming out of the bottom of the gearbox. I have looked and I think that just the pitman shaft can be replaced. Does anyone have any drawings for this or know if I can replace just the pitman shaft or does the entire gearbox have to be replaced?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
ANOTHER broken steering box????
I'm thinking that a recall might be happening soon.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I would just replace the whole box. Maybe we better start keeping track of this I see he has a 4" lift.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
I was hit pretty hard a while back in the drivers door and wheel. The pitman spline coming out of the box was litterally twisted. You could see the splines were twisted almost a 1/4 of an inch out from the part you can see from the box down to the pitman arm.

I think it may have alot to do with the environment( salty roads etc) you live in and a lift kit without the drop pitman arm. I was amazed that mine didnt snap right off when i got hit because of all the failures people have been talking about. But the stock box held up, and i dont live where they salt the roads, and my pitman arm is dropped. With out it being dropped, i think the center link would snap if you hit a curb. I replaced the centerlink after i got my truck back just to make sure it was right and it had a ton of play in it, worn bad, but it also held up in the accident.

Maybe that piece of steel in the box isnt treated with the right chemical finish to keep it from going bad. Im not sure but a recall might be a stretch on this issue. Maybe certain years and models but not a widespread issue.