1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are You A Superduty Minimalist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Chief409
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first truck was a 05 F250 XLT, FX4, V10 Regular Cab that I special ordered with all the heavy duty options and the cloth captain chair seats. After 4 years I traded up to the 2009 F350 XLT, FX4, 6.4 Crew Cab, long bed Tow Boss which was on the dealers lot. While I had the F250 I started pulling a 5er vs a TT and it didn't take long to decide that where we live I needed a turbocharged engine!. The '09 rides nice, it's my Cowboy Continental empty or loaded. On the outside it's plain white, with running boards and the gun metal bumpers, plus the aluminum wheels. Inside, cloth captain chair power seats, AC, 6 disk and Sirius sat radio. Love it hauling the 5er on 2000 mile trips.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
I am one click above a minimalist. I bought mine with the XLT package because I didn't like the headlights and gray bumpers on the XL's. The only other options I put on my XLT were the tow package, V10 and Auto (mostly cause the wife won't drive a manual). I thought I splurged when I got the cab lights. lol.

I didn't want or need power windows or locks but they are part of the XLT. I still open the door with the key and have to get out to lock my hubs.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 AM
ganzey
Senior User
i guess im kinda like this. i have a 5 speed with a 5.4, manual hubs, manual transfer case lever. i personally wanted it because its more reliable. auto trans's go out, auto hubs cam have a break in a vaccuum line, push button 4x4 has transfer case motors and crap, and the v8 is a helluva lot easier to work on than a diesel or v10

Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wish I was more of a minimalist. I would prefer my truck to have crank windows and non power locks but I bought a truck off the lot and it was the most stripped down one they had when I bought it. At least it has manual tranny, 4x4, and hubs. The chrome could go away for all I care I know it is just going to peel and rust up here anyway. Looked into selling XLT parts and getting XL bumpers, headlights, grill and doors but not worth the time and money. Since I plan on having this truck for 15-20 years I am sure someday the power locks and windows are going to become a PITA.
I tried finding steel factory rims for it talk about a needle in a hay stack.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Chief409
Junior User
What I found out in '09 is the FX4 became a trim package. In '05 it was 4X4 plus the skid plates and decals, in '09 4X4 ,skid plates, upgraded trim on the outside (decals, running boards), interior upgraded with all the power options, 6 disk, sat radio. Tow Boss options included the heated, power mirrors, heavier extended track front axle, heavier rear axle, heavier springs, 4:30 gears. Both of my XL work trucks, '05 and '08 F250's have the 5.4, 4X4, selectable hubs from inside, and the standard for the year interior including crank up windows and a AM/FM radio. All my trucks came with the auto tranny which has proven reliable, and all my trucks are used as trucks. Especially the work trucks: mud, sand, snow, rock crawling and 150 mile one way highway trips across the desert, year around, getting to the off road segments.

Before this I had Chevy's, and you don't want to go there!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
ommegang
Senior User
I wouldn't have chose any of the options that I currently have in my Lariat had I ordered one. Now, after experiencing these options, and having had an 08' no frills reg cab: power windows are wonderfull when plowing because someone always comes up to the passanger door; leather and power seats = wonderfull. The center councel in a Lariat vs my bench seat XL I would not do w/o anymore, period.......Sync I use for phone and music and it's awsome!!. Back-up camera in mirror worth every fing penny. Power pedal adjustements = very nice. 3.5" info screen awsome. Heated seats and mirrors - waste of money. Could have used a damn rear defrost in lieu of that. Upfiitter switches are of course needed. Brake thing I don't need. The USB chip thing means no more loading cds = awsome and huge saftey. Remote unlock, start and code unlock I would not do without anymore period. Go in and out 20 times a day in the city and you will appreciate this feature. And, it just doesn't matter if you lock yourself out! The roof lights are just friggin cool lookin - no debate. I do miss my vynyl floor - got weathertech so problem solved. Reg cab vs supercab: I always go back and forth on that one but, you just can't get any decent options in a reg cab. So, get all the frills you can in an XLT and pay invoice and get rebates and get 0% financing - that's the ticket! I justified my purchase by consolidating - traded a nice car that I never drove and my no frills reg cab. Furthur, I plow which means the truck literally pays for itself. And I spend 200 hours a season in it for long periods. The more comforts the better.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be a SD Minimalist, but I am a wallet minimalist first.

When I was looking for a truck the cheapest I found was the one I bought. I had to have a crew cab and manual transmission. I would have preferred rubber mats, cloth seats, manual windows/locks, etc. Instead I wound up with a Lariat, which is the opposite of what I wanted. BUT, it had a manual trans and crew cab.

Now I am spoiled by the leather (my first time owning leather and soooo nice), power windows/locks etc.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Chief409
Junior User
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
I would be a SD Minimalist, but I am a wallet minimalist first.

When I was looking for a truck the cheapest I found was the one I bought. I had to have a crew cab and manual transmission. I would have preferred rubber mats, cloth seats, manual windows/locks, etc. Instead I wound up with a Lariat, which is the opposite of what I wanted. BUT, it had a manual trans and crew cab.

Now I am spoiled by the leather (my first time owning leather and soooo nice), power windows/locks etc.
Yep, I have options I would have never ordered. And as I said, both the wife and I love the "Cowboy Continental".

And when any GM guy says's their truck rides better and is more comfortable, I take 'em for a ride in mine. Guess what. I DON'T hear that twice!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been down the "I just need a basic truck" road before and don't care to go back. I wanted my SD to have everything, leather heated seats, power everything, sunroof, adjustable pedals and nice wheels and paint to boot. I paid a lot for my truck and it makes me happy to drive it, which I don't do everyday anymore. My father-in-law has a rubber mat, vinyl seat, crank windows Chevy and while it does what a truck needs to do just fine, I wouldn't bother seeking one out.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How about minimalist dead thread revival? Maybe an xl zombie thread?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
skatesailor
New User
Minimalist

Definitely a minimalist. Told the dealer my only requirements were the 5.4L, manual trans, manual transfer and hubs, reg. cab, long bed, tow package, and plow package with the best price. Nothing else, including color, mattered. Had 3 dealers looking.They had a hard time finding it but when one did, with my 03 Chevy trade and $6000 rebate, I drove off with a $19000 truck. I'm satisfied. Especially after seeing the pricetags on the loaded trucks. The truck earned its way this winter plowing. IMO trucks are for work, cars are for pleasure.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM
ontariofarmer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my truck used a year and a half ago, and LOVE every bell and whistle it has. Wish it had a few more

Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM
milkman-06
Senior User
I've had to be a $ minimalist for decades (milking cows is not much of a living), now I'm older, bills size is dropping and I deserve some comfort. I ordered it loaded this time . In a few years looking at a premium cab tractor and a new house .
Russ

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
few2many
Junior User
Minimalist. Only because the price was right. I do have remote door locks, but no lock switches inside!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skatesailor
IMO trucks are for work, cars are for pleasure.
My truck is my car!

Quick Reply: Are You A Superduty Minimalist?