1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

03 SCREW Tranny goin after 42k???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 PM
mxratt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 SCREW Tranny goin after 42k???

The girlfriend called me w/ some bad news today about the motor revving up in OD and I thought UH OH. I'm new to the site, but after reading a bunch of posts I am still curious about what's going on w/ my truck, or just in denial.

Here's the deal, 03 Screw 4x4, 5.4, E4OD tranny(I think,its auto w/ OD), 3.55 gears, K&N intake, 285 tires, no lift, Hypertech programmer, 42k miles.

I bought the truck new and have a company car, so I don't drive the truck every day so pretty low miles. The girlfriend sold her car and started driving the truck to work, only 5-6 miles a day. Never had any problems w/ the truck in the past, so I decided to do some maintenance at about 38K before she started driving it. I always have the oil changed every 3K, and I changed the front & rear diff fluid myself. I took it to a mechanic that I've used for some loose front end stuff, idler arm, brakes, and tranny service. I bought the filter and told him to drop the pan instead of a flush. He used Mercon V according to the invoice, which according to some other posts shouldn't be a problem.

Truck came back great, no problems, even seemed to shift a little better-until today. After I got the call, she said it was revving or slipping only when the OD was on, so I told her to drive home w/ it off until I got home. Now I've heard different stories about not changing the fluid if you have a lot of miles, and flushing that can dislodge particals, but I figured at 38K this tranny service would do nothing but help. I also heard if you are "in" OD w/ the gas slightly on and you lightly touch the brake, that the rpms will increase by about 200 and this is normal. If it doesn't do that, then there are problems w/ the tranny. So when I got home I drove it, and it was fine in the lower gears. On the freeway 50-60 it started slipping in OD. I also tried the brake thing, and the rpms didn't climb 200. I got back to the house and checked the fluid, it is nice and red, clean, but smells burnt-so I don't think it's a converter.

Sorry for the long post, bottom line-tranny sounds like toste to me. Is it worth trying a flush or Lucas additive? Kinda strange this happened within' 4K miles of the service? I plan on calling my mechanic tomorrow, but any feedback from you guys would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd check the fluid level. mine was half a quart low one time and would slip in OD. i added the half quart, and it's been fine for the past 10k

Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 AM
mxratt
New User
Originally Posted by superdutymj
i'd check the fluid level. mine was half a quart low one time and would slip in OD. i added the half quart, and it's been fine for the past 10k
I checked the fluid and it was right in the middle between add & full when warm, didn't look low. I don't think I mentioned, but it was starting to slip in 3rd a bit after I drove a few miles. I'll try adding a bit, but the burnt smell is what makes me worry.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
superdutymj
Elder User
it does sound bad. i have a hard time believing your tranny would go out that soon, and especially since you just had it serviced. i'd be in contact with your tech like it sounds like you plan to.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 AM
mxratt
New User
Last time I had a tranny rebuilt was for my CJ7 15 years ago for $400 and I did the R&R. What's the goin rate now???

Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
superdutymj
Elder User
Mine was about 1500. Sorry for the downer!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 AM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
I would drop the pan and check to make sure the filter hasn't dropped down inside the pan. Also make sure they used the right filter. The 4R70W has a few of them. The most current one is one that the pickup on the filter is on a slight angle for fluid pickup.
Good Luck
Rich

Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree on pulling the pan, varify the correct filter and if it is secure, drain the converter, fill it up with what ever fluid is marked on the tranny dipstick, Mercon V, I would think. It's worth a try at those miles, 1800-2000 is the going rate around here for a rebuild, that includes the R&R. Good Luck with it, let us know how it comes out.

Spotty

Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
mxratt
New User
Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately it sounds fatal. But I think that I will drop the pan and check the filter after work tonight before I dump the 2G's. You suggest a drain plug in the pan since I'll have it off? I plan on keeping this truck for at least a couple more years.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
it makes it easier...but you have to drop the pan anyways to change the filter...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
firefighter1416
Senior User
Just a little extra and this is sorta the difference between apples and oranges but i changed my filter and oil at like 100,000 miles i can;t remember for sure but i think about 8,000 miles later i lost my tranny. so for what its worth there ya go. The garage told me the same thing you heard you don't want to change the oil with a lot of miles but you have a lot less miles too.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
firefighter1416
Senior User
oh is the OD light flashing by chance?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 PM
jlmotox
Elder User
Sorry to say but that is what mine was doing too. mine went at 50,000 miles...my tranny guy laughed when I came in. He told me what the truck was doing before I told him.
He said he sees the problem often, he looked at my 285 tires and said you offroad and tow with this? theres your problem. Once taking it apart he found the converter came apart and sent all the junk all through the trans. he beefed up the trans with better clutchs and converter, shift kit and rebuilt it for $1800. He told me the converters in these trucks are the weak spot.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
mxratt
New User
Originally Posted by firefighter1416
oh is the OD light flashing by chance?
No flashing on the OD light. I took it to the mechanic yesterday and no service/slip codes, engine or service light never came on. When I drove it home it was slipping in all gears now, his quote to R&R w/ a factory warranted tranny was 2700-California prices. I'll check around today, I'm sure I can find it cheaper.

Jlmotox-I am partial to having mine rebuilt w/ shift kit, better torque converter rather than a refurbished factory unit that may do the same thing in a year or two. It is warranted and all, but I don't want to lose 1-2 weeks of the truck being out of service. The mechanic said the shop across from him just R&R'd one a month ago, and the guy came back w/ it slipping. They are gonna replace it, but what a pain!

I have been hearing that you shouldn't turn the OD off when driving around town? Just leave it on all the time, whats the point of having it then? I know the new ones have a tow/haul button instead of the OD that we have.

I bought a 02' Diesel E350 van that has 175K on it and runs fine. When I first got it I was checking the normal stuff, brakes, shocks, align, etc. I was going to service the tranny since it has a lot of miles and EVERYONE I talked to said don't do it on the diesel, it will go out w/ in 5k, so I'm just gonna run it and add fluid as needed. Should of left the F150 alone, not broke-don't fix it!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I only turn mine off when towing. No problems yet.

Quick Reply: 03 SCREW Tranny goin after 42k???