A cleaner Greener Marine Corps.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by misnomer
I can purchase new soy bean oil in 35# (~4.6gal) cubes for $12-15 (costco, sams club, smart and final...and others) Right now it is about the same price as dio-diesel, I can't see paying $5/gal... but I am sure with the right marketing you could get people to pay that price.

I was trying to find it in bulk and it seems it is still about $1.60-2.20/gal.. but I have to buy 20 Metric Tons minimum (~6000 gal) in a 40ft container. So, $1/gal was looking attractive.
That brings up an interesting couple of quetions, with that much fuel/oil... you're faced with one of two problems. (A)Either start driving allot of miles and install a diesel power generator at your place of residence. Or (B) figure out some way to keep that much oil from going bad. Unless you own the container...you'll have to figure out a way to store it out of the container and get the shipping container quickly...the owner of the container will charge you a demerge after a set amount of time you have the container in your position. I drive 85-90 miles a day going to & from work...it would take me about 4 1/2 years to burn through that much SVO...that is allot of oil for one person.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 AM
misnomer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
That brings up an interesting couple of quetions, with that much fuel/oil... you're faced with one of two problems. (A)Either start driving allot of miles and install a diesel power generator at your place of residence. Or (B) figure out some way to keep that much oil from going bad. Unless you own the container...you'll have to figure out a way to store it out of the container and get the shipping container quickly...the owner of the container will charge you a demerge after a set amount of time you have the container in your position. I drive 85-90 miles a day going to & from work...it would take me about 4 1/2 years to burn through that much SVO...that is allot of oil for one person.
Definately too much for me to purchase. Although, I do have a number of interested people in forming a co-op (for bio-diesel) and a couple have small construction companies... a couple of the trucks use up their 200 gal tanks weekly and there all the loaders & backhoes and such. But the cost would have to be about $1/gal to make it worthwhile to make bio-diesel, atleast for me to do it. They want to use BioD but only if it costs less than #2 at the pump. Imagine that?? I was considering it though, if the chemical costs are about $1.00/gal and the oil is new clean canola or soy and costs $1.00/gal, then I might be able to justify building a processor if I move over 1000/gal each month minimum. A hobby that pays for itself for a change! But oil at $2.00/gal doesn't make any sense for me invest in it. It isn't like I have money laying around anywhere.. trust me I have looked!

I can easily collect & filter enough used oil for my personal use from a chinese restaurant owner I have an agreement with, and run it straight.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:07 AM
lowell75
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked last night at the local Smart & Final... price
of the 35# soy oil was 19.39. Comodity price trends
the last year to me would have suggested a higher
price!

Kumars' blog: http://ybiofuels.livejournal.com/

This guys gray matter seems to be focused on this
issue about 30 hours out of 24!! follow it back aways!

Hopefully a better feed source (chinese tallow plant! alge!)
is around the corner.. USA agricultur in general too many
vested interests..isn't likely to be in the vanguard.

There are some coops in existance..visit one , join one
or start a new one!

My 79" MBZ non turbo 300 with new engine is my test
bed.. it will be gradually moved more to full bio..

Have a good one!