1956 Ford 292/fordomatic/rearaxle Questions

Old 12-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
1956 Ford 292/fordomatic/rearaxle Questions

Im going to be restoring a 1956 Ford Fairlane and I have never messed with a Y Block before. Family members tell me to junk it out and put a 289 or 302 inplace cause the 292`s are **** engines basicly always dropping dead and not running right and always having to be retuned every other week.

My first question is I have read and alot of that I read is that the Y blocks are fairly good motors and very reliable but I talked to a guy that is local that has a 56 Fairlane himself and he told me to swap out the mechanical fuel pump for an electric fuel pump that the engine stalls out above 3500 rpm with the stock pump. Now if I keep the stock carb would I have the problem of the engine wanting to stall out above 3500 rpm?

Second question is, is it worth keeping the stock carb or should I do like he did and get an aftermarket intake manifold and convert it to a modern carb? Not going to be an everday driver btw just a weekend driver.

Third question doesnt pertain to the engine but the rear axle. What is the rear axle offered to passengercars in 1956? I cant find the answer to that anywheres.

and lastly about the transmission how much money am I looking at to overhaul the old fordomatic transmission? Im not sure but I think the fordomatic is a 2spd like the powerglide or am i wrong? One last thing is where should I look for the parts for a fordomatic transmission since I have read that parts are hard to find for them.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

What do you mean by "After-market" manifold? Blue Thunder = $$$ little for no additional gains in a stock engine.

I had a 57 ford as a kid and I switched from a 2 bbl to a four bbl carb and I don't remember the mechanical pump causing a problem. Also, I had (and still have) a mechanical pump in my boat.

The diameter of the diaphram in both pumps (460 boat engine and 292) are about the same. I used to run the boat at 4000 frequently and I never had a problem with the mechanical pump.

I never had a problem with the mechanical pump in my 57 Ford either.

Now there are other reasons to go to an electric pump in the boat. You get fuel pressure as soon as you hit the starter. (wire it to the starter switch AND an oil pressure switch....you DO NOT want it wired to the ignition)

I don't think there's much advantage in a stock engine though.

I am putting a 292 in my F-600. I'll probably use the mechanical pump. I did put a 4bbl carb on it (although it's probably not needed) The 2bbl Ford and Holley carbs work just fine. The Y-guys here can tell you more but your 56 will sound MUCH MUCH better with a "Y" in it.

Go to http://www.ford-y-block.com/index.html for a lot of info on the "Y"

Also go to http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Forum3-1.aspx

for a lot of experts!

Fordomatic? my 57 had one and it was fine. If I was going to restore a car I would go to http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm and maybe put an AOD in it to get the overdrive.

Cheers,

Rick

Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who describes a Y-block with four-letter words just doesn't know them. I rebuilt my 292 over the past year and swapped it into my '60 to replace the six. It's all stock internals, Ford 4-barrel manifold, and Edelbrock 500 carb. It runs real nice, just a smidge rich, 'cause I didn't buy the carb calibration kit yet.

The only reliability issue I had was with the points. This manufacturer didn't include any cam lube, and my points gap was closing up on me. Nothin' but blue skies since then.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Thats what I thought about the fuel pump I doubt he knew what he was doing cause I would think that if a car lost power at 3500 rpm that would be a big problem in selling those cars.

I posted this alittle soon but i found a rebuild kit for the fordomatic for $170 so im safe on that.

I figured the points would be a reliability issue too bad that points to electronic upgrade doesnt cover the Y blocks.

I will agree with you that they sound good. I went to youtube and listened to all kinds of Y blocks and they sound great. But for the manifold thats what the guy told me he got an aftermarket aluminum intake manifold and went with an aftermarket carb but Im not going to be driving this car every day I already have a 78 mercury im driving everyday I just wanted to restore this and use as a weekend driver so economy isnt that big to me and performance surely isnt cause Ive been working on a kit car from Factory Five Racing so thats my performance fix there lol.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kooper909
Anyone who describes a Y-block with four-letter words just doesn't know them. I rebuilt my 292 over the past year and swapped it into my '60 to replace the six. It's all stock internals, Ford 4-barrel manifold, and Edelbrock 500 carb. It runs real nice, just a smidge rich, 'cause I didn't buy the carb calibration kit yet.

The only reliability issue I had was with the points. This manufacturer didn't include any cam lube, and my points gap was closing up on me. Nothin' but blue skies since then.
Thats what I said but I figured that he was saying that cause he disliked ford or something but I was having a feeling if the engine was really bad why are so many people keeping them.

The only drawback is in my opinion is the mechanical lifters and the fact that the lifters have to be removed from the bottom. Its not a big enough drawback that will cause me to talk bad about them. I just want simple cars. Ive worked too much on these new cars that I want one where if a problem arises theres not much to check.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Thats what I said but I figured that he was saying that cause he disliked ford or something but I was having a feeling if the engine was really bad why are so many people keeping them.

The only drawback is in my opinion is the mechanical lifters and the fact that the lifters have to be removed from the bottom. Its not a big enough drawback that will cause me to talk bad about them. I just want simple cars. Ive worked too much on these new cars that I want one where if a problem arises theres not much to check.
It is a pain to change the lifters unless you're pulling the crankshaft anyway. But mechanical lifters will never collapse or have to be "pumped up." Also sent you a PM about the electronic ignition conversion.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kooper909
It is a pain to change the lifters unless you're pulling the crankshaft anyway. But mechanical lifters will never collapse or have to be "pumped up." Also sent you a PM about the electronic ignition conversion.
I am most likely going to keep the whole car factory stock. I also didnt mean to imply that mechanical is bad if thats how it came across I just was saying you have to use a feeler gage to set it you cant set it with the engine hot and running without a gauge like with hyduralic. But I do know Mecahnical can take a higher rpm than hyduralic.

I also think Jegs had a Alternator that was in a old flat head generator case I need to look into it to see if that company offers them for the Y blocks.