6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

My 2008 F250 6.4 is Junk!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:33 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you shouls tell him you are going to get an Oasis report with it.
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
None of us are going to come looking for you Tom, supplying a VIN can give you credibility, you can send it to me in private.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 AM
LMLSTUDIO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 2008 F250 King Ranch with the new 6.4 L diesel and 3.73 gears. Up unitl about 5500 miles, I loved the truck. Since then it has a fast idle condition that the increases the RPM from normal (approx 600RPM) to about 1150 RPM. After complaining about this condition, the dealer said it was normal. The second time I brought it back with the same complaint with an additional new symptom. ( It had now gone to this fast idle mode with the transmission in Drive and the brake applied). The deaership then told me that Ford recognized the symptom and said it was normal regeneration. They even had a technical service bulletin explaining the regeneration process (TSB 07-4-11 6.4L Diesel Regeneration Functional Characteristics). Now at about 8500 miles it started billowing blue smoke. It smoked so much you couldn't even see the traffic behind me. It stopped after about a half a mile. It continues to happpen on occassion with no consistecy that I can track. I think FORD should address this problem ( maybe they already are). I am intersted if others are experiencing any similar problems. I see other forums where folks have complained but I have not seen a fix yet. Fuel Mileage has acually degraded since the problems have surfaced and yesterday I experienced the motor really rough ( poor timing and a lot of hesitation) on full throttle acceleration. I have babied this motor from the beginning using only triple filtered fuel and a diesel injector additive (STP) with each fill-up. I am very disappointed at this point and am looking for suggestions or fixes.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Hang in there Man! I think it will get worse before better. My truck runs differant every day! Some days good some bad. This program Ford has is causing all the problems. once you can remave all that stuff it will be better I Think.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:42 AM
LMLSTUDIO
New User
Thanks Tom . I appreciate the encouragement. I'll be looking at other tow vehicles in the mean time......

Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 AM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
How is the truck doin now tom?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I would quit using any kind off fuel diesel additive unless it was from Ford. Beings its a new truck an a whole different engine. Just another thought. Nothing to do with the problem probably thouigh. Dont these new trucks come with a video an how your supposed to maintain these engines an how they act. Just thought I heard this somewhere.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 PM
LMLSTUDIO
New User
Read the TS again and they covered most of the symptoms (except the fast idle when in Drive at rest). They (Ford) certainly kept it quiet until I bought the truck. No memtion of regeneration anywhere. Certainly feel cheated...I would like to have made up my mind before I traded in my F350 Powerstroke for this one with that information. Here's the TSB in it's entirety:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub...sb07-04-11.pdf

Thanks Lou

Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
richfaa
Elder User
Run your finger in your tail pipe.If it comes out black you have a bad DPF and that is the cause of your problems. There are NO black tail pipes in a 08 Ford.... or any of the new diesels that regenerate..

Old 12-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke1350
How is the truck doin now tom?
WELL!!! Not to bad I guess. The 4x4 still makes noise, but the dealer is going to call when parts come in. Also the ice in the filter is being addressed by giving me a winter cover for free! The truck seems to go into regen way to often fuel milage is still down to 11. one day the truck seems to have all kinds of power the other it is a dog. Trailer brake switch still don't work. I hear a tsb of 07-26-2 is out I think it talks about lose of power and a fuse being blown # 74 maybe it also fuses my trailer brakes? who knows. I don't know I am still not very happy with this truck The people from Ford were going to call me today and did not!
I had told them I want a new truck, Must have scared them away!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
tgene
Junior User
Originally Posted by richfaa
Run your finger in your tail pipe.If it comes out black you have a bad DPF and that is the cause of your problems. There are NO black tail pipes in a 08 Ford.... or any of the new diesels that regenerate..

I'm not convinced of that! How do you back this up? Maybe a passive regeneration might leave some residue... gene

Old 12-26-2007, 07:42 PM
rallem
Freshman User
I have had really good luck with my truck, so I wonder why yours would be so bad. Right now I am getting 15.6 miles to the gallon with 8350 miles on the engine, and I have lots of power to spare. I really hope you get your issues resolved, and everything goes great for you Tom Hoffman.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Originally Posted by rallem
I have had really good luck with my truck, so I wonder why yours would be so bad. Right now I am getting 15.6 miles to the gallon with 8350 miles on the engine, and I have lots of power to spare. I really hope you get your issues resolved, and everything goes great for you Tom Hoffman.

ME TOO!!!!!!!
THANKS

Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 AM
richfaa
Elder User
I'm not convinced of that! How do you back this up? Maybe a passive regeneration might leave some residue... gene

Convince yourself by reading up of the function of the DPF and what and how regeneration works and what it does. Then go to your local Ford dealer and ask a diesel service tech if there should be any black soot in your tail pipe. There is NO black residue in the tail pipes of Diesels that regenerate..That is what regeneration and the new emmission standards are all about. My diesel tech ran his finger inside my tail pipe and ordered me a new DPF....after cleaning out my tail pipes and after over 500 miles they are clean..not a a speck of soot. The truck runs better and I have had but one regeneration.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 PM
rallem
Freshman User
My truck was built in Kentucky, and I have been happy with it. I wonder how much that has to do with people's satisfaction.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
hd4ever
Senior User
You should set it out some were so some one can steel it and collect the insurance and let them buy you a new one! LOL

Than you dont have to worry about giving out the VIN number!

Quick Reply: My 2008 F250 6.4 is Junk!