Rebuilding 223 need info...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
55 Ford-O-Matic
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding 223 need info...

Guys ive got a totally stock 223 that im wanting to build up a bit. So im wanting to install a bit larger cam, bore.30 or.40 over, and install a new carb probably edelbrock. Where can I find these parts and how do I tell what will fit my motor? Also is there an intake I can buy from edelbrock or would I need to find it through another company. Any info or sites would be great. Thanks All.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Start with a Google search for Cam Suppliers, Carb suppliers, etc. and check their catalogs. And try here: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.p...f39f3a9766e077

And here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/

Last edited by Harte3; 12-14-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
63redtudor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock did (does?) make some intakes, but I think they're all for a tri-carb set-up. Not sure if you can even get them any more, other than ebay.
Both Clifford & Offy make tri-carb intakes as well as 2bbl/4bbl for the 223. You might want to look into one of these. I know that Clifford's water heated, not sure about the Offy. I think Clifford has headers as well.

What kinda carb are you thinking of? I belive there are guys who used a small 4bbl successfully, but you might also want to think about a 2bbl. Guys have used the holley 390 with the 300 with great results, so the 223 would probably be just fine with something like that. I'm using an autolite 2150 on my 300 (off of a 351) & I'm pretty happy with that. Use one off of a 260 or 289 & you should be all right.

What ignition are you planning on going with? Mallory may have had something for these motors years ago, but I'm not too sure they still do. Pertronix has a kit that converts to electronic, eliminating the points. To my knowlege, all 215/223 distributors are of the Load-o-matic type, which means that they only have a vacuum advance & must be used with the correct carburator. From what I understand, in '64, ford changed the oil pump style, making it similar to what the 240/300 used & allowing interchange. I belive that you would need the distributor shaft hole to be enlarged for this to work, as you're planning on having the block machined anyway, you could have them add this when you're getting the work done. This would allow you to use any of the 240/300 distributors; stock or aftermarket. I will have to say that I've (& at lot of other people) been using the duraspark II; which is cheap, easy to find & easy to use.

Clifford makes a cam & I think that a few others do as well, I'm just not too sure who. Make sure the cam you get will work for the 223. The 215 has the fuel pump lobe & distributor gear in a different location & the 262 had a gear driven cam (instead of a chain, the cam tuned in to opposite direction, not sure if that could cause trouble).

There are a few differences over the years between 223s, mainly the head design after 1960. Other than that, most of your parts can simply be ordered from NAPA (or some of the other older stores). Watch ebay as well, by watching carefully, you can probably get some decent things there as well if you are patient. I will have to tell you that the 223 is an older motor & not very well supported by the aftermarket. You're going to have to do some reasurch & take your time. Check the ford six site (www.fordsix.com) & the inliners (www.inliners.org) for information & ideas. However, I will have to say that I think that its cool you're thinking of sticking with the 223. You don't see too many of them & they are neet to see whn someone puts some work into one. Go for it & when you get done, post pictures for the rest of us to drool over.
Edwin