1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Afraid to Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:08 PM
nomadic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Afraid to Ranger

There is this used car lot in town that has this 01 Ranger. The truck has 80,000 plus on it and looks good. It would probably need new rubber before long, but I really like the looks of this little truck.
The problem is.....it is a little truck. I am afraid of it because the gas mileage might not be any better than on a larger truck. If this would be the case, then I would prefer the larger truck....I think.....!
Too, I have heard that the smaller trucks like the S-10 and the Ranger are a lot more dangerous to drive that the larger ones. I would prefer the smaller truck because my garage is a little tight with two full sized vehicles in it.
I guess I just need some encouragement regarding this dilemma. I am in need of another vehicle at this time as the old one has seen better days. Thank you in advance for any comments......O.K.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on the engine but any Ranger is worth having period especially with the current gas crisis. They are dependable and tough little trucks that get those little jobs done and ready for more. Make a deal on it quickly and drive it home. Have them put on new tires and check all of the fluids on it first.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
F.Phipps
Freshman User
my mom has a little ranger with a v6 4.0L in it
and that little things moves!
and it does alot more than you think it would be able to for a little truck.
but my only problem with it is that its very light weight and if you dont haev decent tires it will slide if you give it to much gas in the rain or snow.but mnot alot.
but i would recomend them to you for sure!
they are great little trucks

Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you can see by my signature, I have an older Ranger. Its great! I get around town with it easily. Its OK on the road. Even with only a 4 cyl. engine, it has adequate zip. I suppose, if I didn't push it so hard, I'd get better gas mileage, but I'm satisfied with about 20 mpg around town. The fiberglass topper ads weight which helps during the winter. I've not had any problems with it in snow - the tires I have on it help. Its no sports car so I don't drive like it is one and have no "tippy" problems.

Go get it and enjoy it.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Ranger get excellent gas mileage, especially the 4 cyls! I have a 2000 Ranger with a 2.5 4 cyl, and it gets 20 mpg city/ 26 mpg highway.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 PM
nomadic
Senior User
Thanks so much for your replies to my dilemma. I think I will probably check the truck out Monday after this snowstorm subsides. It is red and is really quite sharp. Thanks again...I can always count on answers in FTE....!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:13 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Might be helpful to know which engine & tranny & cab it has, as we could point out some things to look for.

There are multi page "MPG" & "Miles on your Ranger" threads on this forum, that can give you some feel for what you can expect from the Ranger your considering, in the way of fuel consumption with various engines, trannies & rear end ratios & how long & well they last.

Drive it over roads your familiar with, if it's right for you, it'll lkely sell itself.

I looked for about 3 years before ordering mine in 99. It's a stout little truck, still tight as a tick 8 years later & still brings a smile to my face, every time I start it up & drive it!!!!

So drive it & give it a chance to sell itself, that test drive & info from this forum, will let you know if it's for you.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by pawpaw; 12-15-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 AM
FoxRacin17
Junior User
dont listen to them, get a 08 F350 LB CC Dually 4X4 with the PSD and a 8 inch lift on 38"s. lol, J/K.

I know a few people with B-Series and Rangers and my sister has one. Theyre good little trucks. My sisters is fast. It has the 4.0. For a little 4X4, it is real fast. Theyre pretty dependable. Theyre safer than a car cause they have a real frame under them. Its not a civic. It has to be tough and better built cause its made to be that way.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 AM
nomadic
Senior User
I really do not know what engine it has, all I know is that it is a 6 cylinder. The transmission is a four-speed, I suppose. It is not an automatic.
I am not a hauler or puller, so putting a load on it would not be a problem....Oh, occasionaly I might haul something like a few pieces of lumber, but other then that, I would use the vehicle for getting from point a to point b. Incidentally the vehicle is not a four wheel drive and has a regular cab which is what I want.
It is snowing here in western Oklahoma this morning....so that curtails any plans to look into the vehicle today. However, like I have always said, you guys are a big help. This FTE room is the best reason I have for having a computer....Thanks so much for all the information and hellp....Nomadic

Old 12-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Mudflap
Junior User
I agree totally with Pawpaw. I dunno how mechanically inclined you are, but test drive the truck first. Look and listen while you do. The truck will sell itself. If there is ANYTHING that makes you think "what's that?" pass this one up and keep looking.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
2WD will get noticably better mileage then 4 x4 (20 ish on the highway ). As for "little" my 91 4X4 with me and a full tank of gas weigh the same as the old 74 Buick Lesabre I had 1920 kilos!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:12 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Ok, standard cab, then it likely came with the 3.0L Vulcan V6 & maybe a 4spd auto OD tranny, as the manual tranny is a 5spd.

If it's a manual, the shifter will be on the floor, if it's auto, the shifter is on the steering colum.

The 3.0L Vulcan engine is a pushrod design, thats been around a looooong time & is very reliable.

Consider trying to contact the prvious owner & pump him for info & why he traded it in.

if you can't come by any previous owner/s info consder the following in checking this ride out.

The 4 & 5 speed OD auto trannies like to have their fluids & filter changed on time, so if it's the 4spd OD auto tranny, check the fluids condition.

In fact, check the condition of ALL the fluids, including the power steering & brake master cylinder fluids, serpitene belt & brake linings, as a major service period was 60K & as it's at 80+K miles & is close to another scheduled maintenance.

If it's a manual tranny, look underneath at the condition of the rubber plugs in the tranny case & make sure they aren't leaking & check the tranny fluids condition.

If it appears none of the fluids have been change on time, I'd do a careful test drive with a close ear for undue noises as Mudflap has suggested.

Turn the ignition key to ON, but don't crank the engine & make sure ALL the dash warning lights light up, especially the CEL (Check Engine Light) & ABS (Antilock Brake System) warning light, as many times folks will pull these lamps, trying to hide a problem.

Edit: Forgot, my upper & lower ball joint dust boots are shot at 60K/8 years, so be sure to check those too, cause if bad, you'll need the ball joints replaced.

If you suspect a engine or emission system problem, on the test drive, drop by your favorite autopars store, for a no cost computer trouble code scan & post any & ALL code numbers they find.

If all appears ok, then either have them do the 90K maintenance, or knock $500 off the trucks price, cause thats probably about what it'll cost if you have a Dealer do it, but if you do it, maybe $60-$80 depending on whether it's a manual or auto tranny.

As sfcwoodret suggested, if it needs tires, either have them do it, or knock off some more, for a good set of tires of your choice.

Sounds like this model truck is just about what you need, hope all works out ok, so keep us posted.

Just a bunch more things for pondering.

Last edited by pawpaw; 12-15-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

For winter driving when there is snow or ice on the roads you'll want to put some weight in the bed of the truck. I keep five 75 lb sandbags in the bed of my Ranger during the winter months. Without the extra weight in the bed, Rangers handle poorly on slick roads.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
BigPocoFan
New User
Go for it !

For a used truck, if this one has been properly maintained, you can't go wrong with a Ranger.
My 92 with the 3.0 auto consistantly gets 20-22 mpg. This is with a 42 mile a day round trip into Orlando in all kinds of traffic, every day becomes more stop & go....
Oh & it has 160,000 plus miles on it. As everyone says, they're a little light in the rear starting out on a wet road. You gotta have good tires.
Good luck !
BPF

Last edited by BigPocoFan; 12-16-2007 at 02:49 PM.