6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

new to diesel

Old 12-12-2007, 10:20 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to diesel

I thinking about buying a slightly used 2008 (7K miles), built in Jan 08. I checked the oasis, and it had a check engine light: EGR valve checked and replaced under warranty. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Any see any red flags just from that?

Also, since this would be my first diesel truck, what are my maint. costs going to look like? Oil changes, etc. I heard the fuel filter needs to be changed with oil changes. Can anyone kinda give me an idea of what I am getting myself into? Thanks.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Sayonara
Senior User
have them check the TSB's and make sure it gets all of the reflash updates.
good luck. i wouldnt be too concerned with the EGR valve but im no expert.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
how would one go about checking the TSBs? Would the dealer do this? thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 AM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
built in jan 08?? that hasnt been built yet then...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Champ198
Elder User
I'm on my first diesel as well. I have two friends that have diesels. I bought the 6.4 because I couldn't find a good used diesel in 4x4. I have a 34ft 5th wheel I tow. The 6.4 tows it like it doesn't know its back there. They say that once you go diesel, you wont want to go back to gas.

Re: service, I let the dealer do the oil changes. I knew service would be expensive and I don't do maintenance like that in my driveway. I had my first oil change at 5k miles. Cost $100 at the dealer, I know that's high but I don't want anyone else touching it while its under warranty. The next oil change will include fuel filters and a tire rotation which will hurt $$ just a bit.

My truck was made in April and I took delivery off the lot in August. So far, I've had zero warranty claims.

things I have learned:

- diesel fuel foams up like a head of beer when you're filling the tank. when the pump cuts off, you will have to ease in some more fuel to fill the tank - make sure you use ULSD fuel
- diesels spin up and have power, you don't have to stay on the gas pedal as much to keep the momentum going on these 4 ton beasts
- if you want to increase your mileage stay out of the turbo and keep r's below 2k
- when/if you open the hood to check oil level, make sure you stay off the turbo air charger radiator fins (huge radiator you see when you open the hood), you can bend the cooling fins by just leaning on it or kicking it with your shoe
- you will know the truck is in regen mode when in park, idle goes to about 1200 rpm and it smells like when your oven is doing self cleaning

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 AM
RedDragon777
Senior User
I am happy, i found out my stang has free oil changes and other maintenance under warrenty, apperantly i had signed up for some warrenty from Ford and it includes free maintenance till 9/17/09 and i asked my salesman if they offered the same for the superduty and he said he did not know but he would check. we found out ford does offer it and if i order the 09 i can sign up for the warrenty and i will get free maintenance for 4 years, i am pleased

Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM
The_Juice
Junior User
Nothings free....If maintenance is included your paying for it somewhere....

Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Boaz66
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Champ198
I'm on my first diesel as well. I have two friends that have diesels. I bought the 6.4 because I couldn't find a good used diesel in 4x4. I have a 34ft 5th wheel I tow. The 6.4 tows it like it doesn't know its back there. They say that once you go diesel, you wont want to go back to gas.

Re: service, I let the dealer do the oil changes. I knew service would be expensive and I don't do maintenance like that in my driveway. I had my first oil change at 5k miles. Cost $100 at the dealer, I know that's high but I don't want anyone else touching it while its under warranty. The next oil change will include fuel filters and a tire rotation which will hurt $$ just a bit.

My truck was made in April and I took delivery off the lot in August. So far, I've had zero warranty claims.

things I have learned:

- diesel fuel foams up like a head of beer when you're filling the tank. when the pump cuts off, you will have to ease in some more fuel to fill the tank - make sure you use ULSD fuel
- diesels spin up and have power, you don't have to stay on the gas pedal as much to keep the momentum going on these 4 ton beasts
- if you want to increase your mileage stay out of the turbo and keep r's below 2k
- when/if you open the hood to check oil level, make sure you stay off the turbo air charger radiator fins (huge radiator you see when you open the hood), you can bend the cooling fins by just leaning on it or kicking it with your shoe
- you will know the truck is in regen mode when in park, idle goes to about 1200 rpm and it smells like when your oven is doing self cleaning
Nice rig and good luck. You could harpoon your tank to speed up the fueling process.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
Good info . Thanks for asking the question. I'm waiting on the call from the dealer now to go pick up my new trk. Also first time owning a diesel. I'm not sure what to expect.

Search this Thread