Sponsored by:

Any one tried these HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
AK-Excursion
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one tried these HIDs?

Just came upon these HID kits for 9007s which I think are the bulb type used in stock Excursion head lights. Just wondering if any of you have installed this kit and if so how hard was it. Just wanting to make sure they would work on my Excursion before I go and spend $600.

Never driven in a car with HIDs so not sure if its worth the money when I could puy a nice set of PIAAs that are way brighter than HID high beams and give me more range, so its pretty much up to deciding what I should install first.

Any help appreciated

Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 AM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a link to the specific kit you found?

The old standard bulb to HID conversions were junk because they put the filament in the wrong location, thus throwing a whole lot of light in all the wrong places. Sure looked cool, but it blinded all the oncoming traffic and the only thing it successfully did was **** off other drivers without giving you any significant added visibility.

The new ones I think may be better. $600 seems a bit steep, though, I am seeing most of them for significantly cheaper. That is, unless this is one that includes new lenses (the proper way to do it, really). I've never tried any of them, so if you do, please let us know the results.

As far as cars with factory HIDs go, I have driven several and the difference really is incredible. My mom used to have an Infiniti G35, for example. Those lights really turned the road ahead of you into daylight. When you turned on the high beams as well (high beams were normal halogen), it was as if the sun was out practically.

Sorry to say I don't have any direct experience with HIDs in an Excursion, but that's just some general info.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I put HIDs on the wife's MB and it gives her a brighter light and with the projector lenses, throws it further.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:01 PM
igotoneforya
Elder User
HIDs in general are NICE, had them in an acura and loved them. Much brighter, whiter better, would love them on the X but unsure on the expense also...would hate to spend 600 only to get whiter bulbs (fake HID)...good luck and let us know what you decided...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
DS3
Junior User
I put PIAA bulbs in my Excursion years ago. Love them. They are great bulbs and give off better light and throw the beam further. HID's are great if you have them, but I can't justify spending the money when you can get a pair of PIAA bulbs for $50 -$100 depending on which ones you buy and if you buy them online or not.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
xhid
Freshman User
Hid kits are junk. Do a proper headlight retro. Check out hidplanet.com. I retroed my x with ls430 projectors converted to bi-xenon. Lights up the road big time with no glare. Never been flashed.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID's are awesome. However, there is no way any kit should cost $600 these days. There are quality kits on the market for under $200 for many vehicles. $600 is just a raping.

Between me and my best friend we have done the bulb conversion kits on a 00 eldorado, 04 trailblazer, my 99 camaro, and a few other friends cars that honestly i cant remember what they were now. They never blinded oncoming traffic and none of them have failed to date. these were home made conversion kits from a guy on ebay. They had MUCH better light spread out much further and slightly wider, a very bright clean white. Going back to regular lights makes you wonder if they are on at all. I dont beleive all the hype about having to get fancy new lenses and housings. Maybe on some vehicles, but on everything we have done so far we have yet to see people giving the typical flash of the brights going the other way to let you know your pissin em off. My stock excursion gets that sometimes though when im in a turning lane and someones directly in fornt of me in a turning lane also though. So maybe with the height of the X it may be a lil worse? Ill find out in the next few months after i get some more $ after all this christmas shopping.

Last edited by 1; 12-07-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 1
Between me and my best friend we have done the bulb conversion kits on...
I don't know didley-squat about HID's, but I thought they used a ballast. Do the new HID's only use a different bulb?

Stewart

Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM
xhid
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1
HID's are awesome. However, there is no way any kit should cost $600 these days. There are quality kits on the market for under $200 for many vehicles. $600 is just a raping.

Between me and my best friend we have done the bulb conversion kits on a 00 eldorado, 04 trailblazer, my 99 camaro, and a few other friends cars that honestly i cant remember what they were now. They never blinded oncoming traffic and none of them have failed to date. these were home made conversion kits from a guy on ebay. They had MUCH better light spread out much further and slightly wider, a very bright clean white. Going back to regular lights makes you wonder if they are on at all. I dont beleive all the hype about having to get fancy new lenses and housings. Maybe on some vehicles, but on everything we have done so far we have yet to see people giving the typical flash of the brights going the other way to let you know your pissin em off. My stock excursion gets that sometimes though when im in a turning lane and someones directly in fornt of me in a turning lane also though. So maybe with the height of the X it may be a lil worse? Ill find out in the next few months after i get some more $ after all this christmas shopping.
It's not hype, its fact. Halogen headlight housings are not designed for hid bulbs.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:18 PM
AK-Excursion
Senior User
no true HIDs have a ballast

Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
If you want to put projectors on your Excursion read these two threads. This is something I'd really like to do.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AK-Excursion
Please explain. Every stock, OEM replacement HID setup I've seen has a ballast.

Stewart

Old 12-09-2007, 08:00 AM
xhid
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AK-Excursion
ALL REAL HIDs have a ballast.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
AK-Excursion
Senior User
Sorry thats what i ment to say i dont know how i got it turned around, lol

Old 12-09-2007, 09:28 PM
BIG BOI
Senior User
Talking Hid

I've had HID in my truck for about 4 yrs now and I love them, the light output is great and now the price has dropped, here is a link to where you can find the one's for you X
http://www.xenonlink.com
For the X You'll need the 9007, trust me, you’re going to love the look.
I have the 6000k, which are bluish white, remember the higher the number the more white the light is.
As for installation, it's straight forward and very simple.
Take a look at the site, it explains more, but you won’t be disappointed.
once you go HID you will not go back to factory/regular lights and dont fall for those bulbs you find in an auto parts store, their nowhere as bright..
[/font]

Quick Reply: Any one tried these HIDs?