1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

blowing oil out of the oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
rmcmillion2006
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blowing oil out of the oil cap?

motor is blowing oil out oil cap, truck has sitting for about ten years before I bought it. was up with that?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 PM
asltrfl
Junior User
Your PCV valve is stuck! It's the thingy that is stuck into the valve cover with a hose attached to it and goes to the back of the carb or intake manifold. Pull it out and clean it with carb cleaner, shake it to make sure that it rattles (it's supposed to rattle) and re-install it. Or just go buy a new one, take the old one with you, they only cost $4. Check all your hoses and replace the cracked broken ones and you should be fine.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts
If the PCV valve checks out, and it's still doing it, then you might have too much blow-by past the rings. This can be caused by the engine being worn out, or by sitting too long one or more of the piston rings may be stuck.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 AM
asltrfl
Junior User
True. If the PCV unit checks out good or is repaired, you can then remove the oil filler cap and see how much air/smoke is being pumped out of the engine. Put your hand over the filler hole and bring the rpm's up a little and you should not have a LOT of air coming out. If the air is really smokey then it could be a stuck ring and sucking up oil into the combustion chamber and burning it. Either way, it's not that big of a deal, just drive the truck around for a while and usually a ring will loosen itself up, and if it's using a lot of oil, it's just an old engine...use it for what it's worth, it will still serve you well.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
sounds like a ring problem, builds to much crankcase pressure! and check your hoses.
check for a hole in top of the piston on any cylinder. i've seen it before! run compression test and if find dead cylinder you have found it. then pull the head off and look. it is possible to have a hole in the top of a piston. would build exessive crankcase pressure and it will blow oil out just about everywhere that isn't sealed!!

ford ranger

Old 12-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
If it's stuck rings, pour a can of Seafoam Engine Cleaner through the carburetor following instructions on the can.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
but if the engine ran allright before then we can rule out the hole in the piston.
i'd run a compression test first. run a dry test then a wet test. record your dry test readings. if you have a few rings that are stuck to the pistons, your readings will be low.on the cylinders that are stuck. second squirt about a tablespoon of motor oil in the cylinders your are testing, just one at a time! some of the reading my should go up!
and yes this test may get messy. before you run the test disable the ignition,and the fuel, pull all the spark plugs.[ note where all the plugs and wires go before you do this so you don't get them confused. otherwise your firing order is going to be off] second open the throttle wide open, and keep it open throughout the test. dry and wet, and you will get a charge of fuel in the intake, you may want crank the engine over for about 5-10 seconds to dry it out first. then run your dry test. record your results on paper, the after you've run your dry test, run your wet test. then compare your results, if the rings are sealing the way they should, your readings should almost double.
depending on the engine and its displacement. or c.i.d. thats how you find out if you have a stuck ring or rings. most gas engines houver around 150-175 psi, diesels 350-450 psi. example if you have #1 cylinder is 150 and #2 is 170 is normal. anything over that isnot normal. or if #1 is 50psi and #2 is 170psi there is a problem.
hey where here to help. if nothing else post your results. make sure you tell us if it gas or diesel,the number of cylinders or displacement, or cubic inch displacement.
i use 10w30 castrol oil when i do a wet compression test. anotherthing i did not mention is to change the oil and filter first that helps alot, and add a quart of dexron3 to the oil helps as well. dexron is high detergent. helps clean rust and other deposits,but don't run it very long, on old motors you will spin a bearing. usually 500 miles does it. then change the oil and filter again, then put straight oil in it.

ford ranger
aka the jackman

Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
hey rmcmillion,
did you find out what is going on? did you run a compression test? just curious! please
keep us posted. i'd like to know!

ford ranger

Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 PM
cannonfodder
Senior User
Sometimes a quart of transmission fluid in the oilpan will loosen things up.Pour a quart down the carb also to loosen the rings. Warm it up well and slowly pour the transmission fluid down the carb as you open the throttle. Increase the amount of trans fluid as you open the throttle to keep the rpms down. when you are almost out of fluid let it stall. Leave it overnight.If it is beat and full of carbon this will be the end of it.If it is just stuck this should fix it.Either way What have you got to lose?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
cool guys,
but, you want to keep the rpms up when you do this process. and do it outside for the simple reason that you will hydrostaticly lock the engine up. and you don't want that, because it will bend rods or a crankshaft. and it will smoke like crazy. this is why
is said do it outside! it will smoke like hell!! white smoke, and alot of it! just do a little at time. and you should be allright. won't hurt anything. but, there will be a lot of smoke. anything short of that is a rebuild. straight up. i came from the salvage yard in my day. and i've seen alot of engines just sit in the wheather. and rust. even if the motor is covered it will still rust. in the cylinders you have condensation. it will make piston and rings rust. even if they been sitting for 10 years they still rust.

i hve to go to bed
yell at me later tomarrow
c'ya's
ford ranger
the jackman
bye

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
cool guys,
but, you want to keep the rpms up when you do this process. and do it outside for the simple reason that you will hydrostaticly lock the engine up. and you don't want that, because it will bend rods or a crankshaft. and it will smoke like crazy. this is why
is said do it outside! it will smoke like hell!! white smoke, and alot of it! just do a little at time. and you should be allright. won't hurt anything. but, there will be a lot of smoke. anything short of that is a rebuild. straight up. i came from the salvage yard in my day. and i've seen alot of engines just sit in the wheather. and rust. even if the motor is covered it will still rust. in the cylinders you have condensation. it will make piston and rings rust. even if they been sitting for 10 years they still rust.

i hve to go to bed
yell at me later tomarrow
c'ya's
ford ranger
the jackman
bye

Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
bye for the night,
have a good night and a better tomarrow.
c'ya
ford ranger