Loud Fan Noise? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Loud Fan Noise?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 PM
DonVito
Junior User
DonVito is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loud Fan Noise?

OK, let me see if I can explain this correctly. I have a 2008 F350 DRW 4X4 6.4 Diesel with the Tow Boss 4.30 Rear end. I will be driving along and all of the sudden I will hear a loud fan noise ( kinda like when an auxilary radiator fan kicks on, in some cars, when the temperature is hot) what is wierd about this noise is, it goes up with the RPM. eg.

Faster the engine RPM the faster the fan sound speed and it feels like it is loosing power ( kinda like the transmission is slipping). You let off the throttle and it goes away. It does not happen all the time, It happens one time then it goes away. Sometimes on the Freeway at cruising speed and also on the streets at low speeds and once on takeoff from a red light.

My 6.0 Excursion used to do this also but I only noticed it on the Freeway. I asked my Ford service tech and they seem to have the same answer all the time ( It's in regen mode seems to be the canned answer to most questions you ask ) I told him I know what regen mode is I have over 6,000 miles on the tuck and I have been through MANY regens. I told him it used to happen in my 6.0 Excursion also and I don't believe there was such a thing as a regen in the 6.0. He has no clue what I am talking about. He said when it happens again, and I am in the area come on by and they will go for a drive with me. But since I have no idea when it is going to happen and what it is or what causes it to happen it will not do any good because we all know when the tech is in the truck with you the truck is always on its best behavior. I can see if it is a auxillary colling fan (do these trucks have one?) than it would stay on no matter what the RPM of the engine until it cools down, but this just happens once in a while and it goes away when you take your foot off the fuel petal then eveything is back to normal.

I am hoping someone here knows what this is or has anyone else experienced this? Sorry for the long detail but I tried to put as much info as I could. Thanks

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-17-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
SaharaF350
Senior User
SaharaF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's normal unfortunately, it happens when it gets a bit hot I belive. (that is if I'm understanding what you're tryin to say)

Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.
DonVito,

As SaharaF350 has said, it sounds like the Electro Vistronic fan is cycling on an off as needed and this is normal. Both the 6.0 & 6.4 have the Electro Vistronic fan and it is controlled by the PCM. The PCM looks at ECT, EOT, IAT (post intercooler) Trans temp & AC duty cycle to determine when to ramp up the fans coolong ability.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Creekowl3
New User
Creekowl3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same truck with about 10,000 miles. My aux fan has come on only twice, both times near the summit of a mountain as I was hammering up with a 12,000 trailer. In my experience, it should not turn on in normal driving or without a load.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Thinkinfishin
New User
Thinkinfishin is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have experienced the same thing, sometimes after starting down the road after backing out of my driveway. It's nowhere near hot enough to be trying to cool the motor down after just starting the truck - it's some other problem. I described it to my dealer and he said it must be in regen mode. I'd really like to know what this is.....

Old 12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User
bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The noise you are describing may be when your truck is in regen. It sounds like a blower (or if you recall 60's or 70's cars with the tail pipe pointed down to the road they made a lot of noise at full throttle).

I first noticed this the first time I was returning home and towing the fifth wheel when taking off from a stop sign. It is more noticable in my case when towing although I have noticed the noise when solo once. Mine has been in regen and I didn't even realize it till putting it in park upon arriving at work.

Next time you hear it, stop if you can and put it in Park, take your foot off the brake, and see if your idle starts rising to 1100 RPM. If it does then you are in regen....... I've done this check while waiting on a traffic light or two.

First time it happened to me I though something had broke, it does sound somewhat like a good clutch fan from the old days.... but louder to me.

May not be your noise but worth a check.....

Good luck figuring it out,

Bob

Old 12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
grndpndr2
New User
grndpndr2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I may have the same problem you have. The fan comes on for long periods of time. Went to the dealer, he ordered a new fan clutch.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:51 PM
DonVito
Junior User
DonVito is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
The noise you are describing may be when your truck is in regen. It sounds like a blower (or if you recall 60's or 70's cars with the tail pipe pointed down to the road they made a lot of noise at full throttle).

I first noticed this the first time I was returning home and towing the fifth wheel when taking off from a stop sign. It is more noticable in my case when towing although I have noticed the noise when solo once. Mine has been in regen and I didn't even realize it till putting it in park upon arriving at work.

Next time you hear it, stop if you can and put it in Park, take your foot off the brake, and see if your idle starts rising to 1100 RPM. If it does then you are in regen....... I've done this check while waiting on a traffic light or two.

First time it happened to me I though something had broke, it does sound somewhat like a good clutch fan from the old days.... but louder to me.

May not be your noise but worth a check.....

Good luck figuring it out,

Bob

It's definately a Fan Noise. I have been through many regens and I know what they are. My 6.0 Did this once in a while and there was no such thing as a regen untill the 6.4, so I know it can't be a regen. It's just wierd that it comes on and increases with the throttle and when I let off the throttle it goes away and does not come back. I know what you are saying about the 60's and 70's cars with the tailpipe down I had one but it made more of a hissing sound when you got on it full throttle and that was all the time. The Fan Noise I a talking about just happens once then goes away and when I get on the throttle again it's not there.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
cHiLi 11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Both times I towed my large boat up the grade during the summer out here my fan went on and made the same noise.

Nick

Old 12-13-2007, 01:49 AM
scsmith42
Senior User
scsmith42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re the fan noise occuring when not under a load, mine started doing that yesterday. Turns out that the radiator was leaking and the coolant level had dropped by a couple of gallons, causing the engine to run warmer even when driven lightly.

There are some other strings on the forum regarding the known problems with the radiators.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
captaineddie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fan Noise

I hear my fan come on quite often soon after start-up. Everything is definitely cold at this point and my service manager has no explanation.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by captaineddie
I hear my fan come on quite often soon after start-up. Everything is definitely cold at this point and my service manager has no explanation.
With the newer PCM strategy, the Electric Vistronic fan is commanded on with a cold engine to increase the load on the engine, thus resulting in faster engine warm up.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:54 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
captaineddie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by blackhat620
With the newer PCM strategy, the Electric Vistronic fan is commanded on with a cold engine to increase the load on the engine, thus resulting in faster engine warm up.
Thanks for the information.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:10 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Seems counterproductive to have cold air blowing on cold engine to help it warmup....

Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by origcharger
Seems counterproductive to have cold air blowing on cold engine to help it warmup....
No not at all, the engine coolant thermostat is closed when the engine is cold, when the fan is commanded to full engagment, it increases the load on the engine, so the engine must work harder to turn the fan which causes the engine to warm up faster. The heat loss on the exterior of the engine do to air moving over it is minimal compared to the increased heat produced when the engine works harder to turn the fan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud Fan Noise?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: