My 4.2L V6 Needs MORE POWER!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

My 4.2L V6 Needs MORE POWER!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
kgpackrat
Freshman User
kgpackrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 4.2L V6 Needs MORE POWER!!!

Hey all,

I own a '99 F150 4.2L V6. I could really use some more power from it, but I don't want to sell the truck or drop in a V8. Can anyone tell me some suggestions on what I can add?

I've thought of a few things:

Cold Air Intake
Throttle Body Spacer
Headers

I've also been trying to find an aftermarket SuperCharger for it... Any ideas?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
streethealer
Senior User
streethealer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Put a 4.10 gear in the rear pumpkin. That will pepp it up...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 AM
kgpackrat
Freshman User
That's a great idea. I'll look into it some more. Is it better to go to 4.10 or go all the way to 4.56? That may be a little much, but I've seen it in Mustangs and such. If I'm gonna do this, I want to do it one time and get it right.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Mr_Knight
New User
Mr_Knight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kgpackrat
That's a great idea. I'll look into it some more. Is it better to go to 4.10 or go all the way to 4.56? That may be a little much, but I've seen it in Mustangs and such. If I'm gonna do this, I want to do it one time and get it right.

Thanks!
If you want to do it once and do it right, I would recommend going with the 4.10 and if your truck doesnt already have it, Add the Limited Slip or locker in it too.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
streethealer
Senior User
streethealer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mr_Knight
If you want to do it once and do it right, I would recommend going with the 4.10 and if your truck doesnt already have it, Add the Limited Slip or locker in it too.
Yeah....What he said.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Matt983
Senior User
Matt983 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wrote Delk Performance last week to see if they had any procharger supercharger kits for our engine's or how much it might cost to design one. I kinda anticipated they're response:
Hello,
Nothing that we are aware of. If you are going to fabricate a kit , you would do a turbo .... That is hard to estimate cost on. Something like $4500-5500.Thanks,
Delk Performance

Well, I'm not gonna let that bum me down and I'm gonna keep looking and asking around because I'm not really interested in a hybrid turbo setup and that seems like it would be more of a PITA than fabing everything to get a supercharger to work.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:26 AM
kgpackrat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Matt983
I wrote Delk Performance last week to see if they had any procharger supercharger kits for our engine's or how much it might cost to design one. I kinda anticipated they're response:
Hello,
Nothing that we are aware of. If you are going to fabricate a kit , you would do a turbo .... That is hard to estimate cost on. Something like $4500-5500.Thanks,
Delk Performance

Well, I'm not gonna let that bum me down and I'm gonna keep looking and asking around because I'm not really interested in a hybrid turbo setup and that seems like it would be more of a PITA than fabing everything to get a supercharger to work.
I was looking for something similar, and have talked to the guys @ www.supersixmotorsports.com here is what they sent me:

What we have is called our M-112 adapter manifold to allow anybody with
either an F-150 with the 4.2 V6 or a 3.8 V6 in a Mustang or windStar to
instal an 03-04 Cobra M-112 supercharger. This has become a popular
modification, its not real hard to do. We have info right on the front page
of our website.

Last edited by kgpackrat; 12-12-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Matt983
Senior User
Oh WOW! That's awesome!! I even looked at that site but I guess I missed that part, and I didn't write them either =( But yea thats awesome thanks for posting.

There's hope yet, I know what I'm saving up for now

Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
there are a few others sites out there dedicated to our truckwhere people have done twin turbos and a few other things.

exhaust, chip seem to be the easiest and cheapest ways of getting power, I think I freed up a bit of power with a K&N filter as well, for like 50 bucks maybe? that was YEARS ago and I still use it.

If you go with 4.10s, I would get a chip as well so that you dont kill your top end speed. Limited slip is a good option as well.

My truck will outrun any stock V8 F-150 btw, and mine is stock as well. Our engines are quick, they just dont carry the potential.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Matt983
Senior User
I added an airaid cold air intake and hurst short throw shifter to my truck this weekend and it drives like a different truck now lol. The intake improved throttle response through all rpm's. The new shifter was advertised to reduce the throw 30% but to me it feels more like 40-maybe even 50% it's pretty awesome and both were fairly easy to install.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
I dont think I would like a shorter throw than stock in my truck :/ never had any problems with it.

Increased throttle response, do you have some time of throttle lag when you hit the gas drivin a stick? Mine has always been very snappy, engine revs second I hit the gas, if I pull the tires loose or have it in neutral, it will redline in about a second of flooring it but revs immediately

Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Matt983
Senior User
Oh I love the shorter throw, before it felt like I was rowing a freakin' boat shifting gears lol. There was about 7 inchs of travel between 1st and 2nd gear now there's like 4 inchs or less (numbers are guesstimated) It also looks great, Chrome stick, black hurst ****, nice looking boot and polished floor plate around the boot.

I woudn't call my engine "snappy" but it was a bit sluggish before the new air intake. Before it would only get "snappy" if I really got down on it from the start and held the revs up there the whole time. Most of the time I'd give it gas and it sat there and "thought about it" for a second before responding now it's more instant lol.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
hmm. my engine does not act like that at all. Any chance you can post some pics of the shifter? And how much and how hard of an installation?

Being recently single, I am kinda interested in changin some of the things in my life that well, havent changed in a bit, even small things like that may be more appealing right now....I kinda want to get a bike as well....

Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Matt983
Senior User
Jimmy Dean,
when I get a decent camera I'll post a new thread with pics and all the info you requested.. Hopefully it wont be too long.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
My 2005 does not have NEAR the throttle repsonse my 2000 had. The newer ones have the "fly-by-wire" throttle. That is to say: no throttle cable. Newer and better = electronic throttle control.
I 'spect it could be programmed to have quicker reponse, but after 117,000 miles, I ain't going to bother with it now.

Here's a thread form a few years back:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...nd-advice.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 4.2L V6 Needs MORE POWER!!!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.