Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Let's talk HPOPs, and big oil, a fireside chat

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk HPOPs, and big oil, a fireside chat

Hello everyone, this evening's miscellaneous rambling wil be about the oil systems in the 7.3. We all know that oil fires the injectors. We all know that more oil under more pressure makes more HP potential with even stock injectors. Get better injectors and well, more fuel blah blah, Injectors are for another evening.

Soooo, where was I? Oh yeah, HPOP. What do you know about yours? Really? I will not bore you with how they work or don't work because I do not know the internal workings of one, having never disassembled one. Since I did not know, I thought I might have a look at how my stocker is fairing since I have an AE and that costs way too much money to just sit there. Now I needed a measuring stick. I could have gone to the shop manual but I stumbled across the below information from SWAMPS very informative site. I trust that they have more experience tuning these rigs than the engineers who brought us the through the fanbelt upper radiator hose, among other clever designs. Here is an exerpt:

Put your chip in its' highest setting, and go out on the interstate (while having someone watch the ICP value on the datastream) and start at about 60mph...

FLOOR the pedal, and stay in it, 100% from ~60-90mph...what you're likely to see (on the scantool) is that the ICP will spike up rather quickly, to 2800-3000psi or so, and then the longer you stay in the pedal...the ICP will slowly drop and drop and drop...the ICP will eventually stabilize (stop dropping).

WHERE the ICP levels off can be some indication as to the condition of your HPOP.

If your truck can maintain 2800+psi then you are one of the FEW folks that have a terrific HPOP.

I would estimate that 90% of the Power Strokes can only maintain ~2200(+/- 200)psi of HPOP pressure, or ICP...5% are above 2600, the other 5% are below 1900psi...

depending on how low (or high) of ICP you are able to maintain will greatly affect which model of injector I would recommend. .......
....... If you can maintain 2800+ psi of ICP, then any injector 250cc's and under will perform exceptionally well.

If you can maintain 2400psi then that's not bad, not great either.

2200psi is mediocre, and full performance from any injector will not be achieved with that HPOP, though power WILL go up with nearly any injector, driveability (excessive smoke) might be an issue.

If you cannot maintain 1900psi, you might seriously consider an aftermarket dual HPOP system, or our Gen3 HPOP. Nearly any larger injector is going to make the truck feel sluggish, and smoke excessively.
Armed with this information, I set out to see what was going on with mine. I sure didn't want to be below 2400psi. And the results are........going to be posted in the next post here momentarily. I know, hang on to your seats boys and girls.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang it. What're you, a suspense-thriller author now??

Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Man Joe, I just don't want a huge post going. They might accuse me of.... well you know. Now stand by for a minute 'cause I got a graph man. Those are always cool. Folks like illustrations and all.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
lmao... I'm on the edge of my seat.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought this was supposed to be a community of instant gratification.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
and here is the graph. I started the data log on the on ramp. I will point out that the first trough was because the truck downshifted as I was merging onto the interstate and I wanted it to shift into OD. I got in there and looked for an opening and floored it again without a downshift. At about 95 I was a lawbreaker and stuff was coming up quickly so I backed out. Have a look.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Your killing me smalls, lets see the data!

EDIT just not fast enough

If you can maintain 2800+ psi of ICP, then any injector 250cc's and under will perform exceptionally well.

If you can maintain 2400psi then that's not bad, not great either.
Looks like your Fair to well?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
hhmmm. Now I wonder if I should get a HPOP gauge, or drop the cabbage on AE. I'm thinking I'll get AE first, since it does so much more. Besides, it would certainly tell be how my HPOP is doing.

So is your truck holding 2500 or 2750? Not sure which part of the curve is which.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If someone finds he has a 2800 psi HPOP, how can you resist spending money?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No one can resist spending money on a big oil setup

Oh, the HPOP gauge is fun to watch. Especially when it hits 3800+ psi.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Now it is time to talk about the numbers. What do they mean? Well, I am not sure because I forgot that my chip was in the stock tune when I logged the earlier Romp graph, and I usually warm the truck up when it is cool. So what you are looking at is my DP stock tune HPO numbers. Dang it. I needed to put it in the 120 race. I bet the numbers would be better with the tune. Sounds like I need to go back out there tomorrow.

So, back to the topic. Those estimated stock HPOP #s from swamps are disturbing. Now for the musings. How do dual HPOPs make more than 3000 PSI without modifying the pumps themselves? Do you need more than 3k psi to run injectors? Is not 2x the volume of one HPOP, both systems running 2500 all you really need? What parts of the HPOP wear out resulting in a weak one and what constitutes a good one? Or do they start out that way?

Let's look at the Stealth. You can use your own pump along with a new one and install the DIY kit. Is there a gear multiplication or are we just doubling volume? Although injectors are for another day, what is a good safe pressure for those without beating the crap out of them leading to a premature demise? Perhaps we are better off with a good volume at a healthy pressure.

So the door is open, I will post my 120race results when I get them, and my fire is going. Have at it.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now it is time to talk about the numbers. What do they mean? Well, I am not sure because I forgot that my chip was in the stock tune when I logged the earlier Romp graph, and I usually warm the truck up when it is cool. So what you are looking at is my DP stock tune HPO numbers. Dang it. I needed to put it in the 120 race. I bet the numbers would be better with the tune. Sounds like I need to go back out there tomorrow.
Actually, with a hotter tune those numbers will drop significantly. Several stock trucks I've data logged held higher PSI than what your graph shows. Doesn't look too good for you.

How do dual HPOPs make more than 3000 PSI without modifying the pumps themselves? Do you need more than 3k psi to run injectors? Is not 2x the volume of one HPOP, both systems running 2500 all you really need? What parts of the HPOP wear out resulting in a weak one and what constitutes a good one? Or do they start out that way?
A single pump can make well over 3000 psi, as long as you aren't demanding a huge amount of oil. As you push more fuel through stock injectors (or modified ones), the demand for oil increases and the pressure drops as the stock HPOP tries to keep up. By adding a second pump, you can supply the required amount of oil without a drop in pressure. As for how they wear out.... I don't know for sure. The big oil suppliers know since they deal with that all the time.

Let's look at the Stealth. You can use your own pump along with a new one and install the DIY kit. Is there a gear multiplication or are we just doubling volume? Although injectors are for another day, what is a good safe pressure for those without beating the crap out of them leading to a premature demise? Perhaps we are better off with a good volume at a healthy pressure.
Myself and quite a few others have run 3800 psi without problems. It's not at that pressure all the time mind you, just under heavy throttle. There was the concern a while back that injector o-rings wouldn't be able to handle it, but they seem to fail at the same rate regardless of whether or not a truck is modified or bone stock.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
So is your truck holding 2500 or 2750? Not sure which part of the curve is which.
It will definately hold about 2500 in the stock setting no matter how you look at it. What I don't get about the test is the "floor it from 60-90 and watch the numbers. That second peak was all that took and I had to back out of it at 95mph due to traffic. Seems like that was not enough time to watch for it to fall. I hope to get a better run again but I can guarantee in the 120 race that 60-90 time will reduce significantly and I don't look for the numbers to be lower. Matter of fact, you know what I am expecting to see. I may just top it out if I can.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Im going to take time to read this now, i have just skimmed over the first part. You said you were curious to the insides of a HPOP. Here is a few pictures i took of the HPOP i disassembled.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Pocket
Actually, with a hotter tune those numbers will drop significantly. Several stock trucks I've data logged held higher PSI than what your graph shows. Doesn't look too good for you.

Whoops. Typing and watching TV at same time. I will be curious if you are right. I would think there would be more oil pressure as the truck runs much stronger. If not, the only way I could explain that is by electron manipulation because you are never going to convince me the truck is making more HPO in the stock setting.

Quick Reply: Let's talk HPOPs, and big oil, a fireside chat