Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Driveshaft

They are callin for snow around here and I just found out from ford I need a new driveshaft, fords sayin it will take a while to get in. I dont have time seein that I have to salt treat by 5am tomarrow morn. My question is does anyone know where I can get one ASAP? I live over here in Montgomery County, Maryland. New used doesnt matter as long as it will work.

Thanx

Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you got a good automotive machine shop they can build one

Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Whats wrong with the one you have? I was able to get mine rebuilt the same day by a local drive line shop here in Cali.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cgl
Whats wrong with the one you have? I was able to get mine rebuilt the same day by a local drive line shop here in Cali.

Its cracked around the U-joint, well thats wat I was told. Goin to take 3 days to get and fix it, and cost at lease a grand throught the dealership. I cant find anywhere around here to get it done today, or even quicker than what ford can do it for.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
What kind of truck is this on?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Its on a 2003 7.3 F350 CC Long bed w/ an auto trans 4x4 91000 on the ticker

Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Just called every junkyard and driveline shop within 100 miles and no one can help me... talk about a bad day lol

Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
So your problem is a cracked socket? Or is it cracked around the yoke? I suppose a good welder could fix you up temporarily... Or if its a 4x4, remove the rear drive line (assuming thats where the issue is) and drive it in front-wheel only.

How did the problem occur? I'm not sure i've ever heard of one just failing.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Agreed just take off the rear drive shaft and run front wheel drive. Works fine.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cgl
So your problem is a cracked socket? Or is it cracked around the yoke? I suppose a good welder could fix you up temporarily... Or if its a 4x4, remove the rear drive line (assuming thats where the issue is) and drive it in front-wheel only.

How did the problem occur? I'm not sure i've ever heard of one just failing.

I was told the part that conects my driveshaft to the U-joint was cracked, i havent seen it for myself yet. I was told I "ran the truck too hard" and thats how the problem occured. I think it happened when I was pullin my camper back from charlotte NC, but who knows

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Do you know of any real driveshaft shops in your area? Ford shafts are really, really way overpriced, and a real drivetrain place would just cut out that yoke, and weld a new one in, probably cost less then 200 (high side IMO) and it would be re balanced, and more then likely new u joints aswell. Of course you have to pull the shaft out but thats cake.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Do you have a lift, and if so, are the driveline angles correct? If the angles are not correct, that will ruin u-joints and other parts very quickly.

As others have said, you can take the rear shaft out completely, and cruise around in front wheel drive while you take your time getting the rear shaft fixed. I have done that more than once.

I would be careful in the snow at first, though, you might find that the truck behaves a little differently.

I have used Tom Wood Custom Drivelines before, I think he is in Utah. I sent a front shaft out, and it came back perfect. A rear shaft might be difficult and pricey to send, though.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:46 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Do you know of any real driveshaft shops in your area? Ford shafts are really, really way overpriced, and a real drivetrain place would just cut out that yoke, and weld a new one in, probably cost less then 200 (high side IMO) and it would be re balanced, and more then likely new u joints aswell. Of course you have to pull the shaft out but thats cake.

I looked into that, the closest place I could find is an hr away and they cant get to it untill next week, so Im stuck paying the high price of the dealership to do it.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
Do you have a lift, and if so, are the driveline angles correct? If the angles are not correct, that will ruin u-joints and other parts very quickly.

As others have said, you can take the rear shaft out completely, and cruise around in front wheel drive while you take your time getting the rear shaft fixed. I have done that more than once.

I would be careful in the snow at first, though, you might find that the truck behaves a little differently.

I have used Tom Wood Custom Drivelines before, I think he is in Utah. I sent a front shaft out, and it came back perfect. A rear shaft might be difficult and pricey to send, though.
Yea I got a lift on it, I bout it a year ago used from a dealership in Fla with a little 2in lift and 35s. I wouldnt have bout a 2in lift for it but it came with it.