1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Securilock/PATS II Keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 AM
rangedude
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Securilock/PATS II Keys

I obtained a 2002 Ranger with one key. I just found out it has the much hated and posted about Securilock/PATS II system on it.

My nornal routine is to trot down to the hardware store and get a key without the big dorky plastic head on it on day one - that way I can carry the key on my ring, and in my pocket.

For this rig, the key has turned into a nightmare. I found out that it had this poorly designed system which requires a ridiculously huge key, and also requires two keys to make a third. Gotta wonder about the drugs the people at Ford are using. Or maybe I'm the only one that doesn't care for a huge key.

Is there any way to completely do away with this ridiculous system at a reasonable cost? I see by googling that lots of cities require that it be shut down as part of purchase bids, so clearly it's not as mandatory as Ford would have us believe. I saw mention about a performance chip, but I want fuel mileage - not go fast. Maybe I should just go back to the Chevy. It has an itty bitty key. (That oughta get the true blue oval boys lookin' for a sollution for me. Smile)

Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
There are PATS bypass kits, they are used for remote starter installations.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You know, you could always take the good key, and mount it in the steering wheel console somewhere near enough to the system to make it work, but out of sight. Then use hardware store copies to turn on the truck. If you were really worried about a key in the truck you could always cut or damage the keys teeth to keep it from being used to start the truck.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:20 PM
rangedude
Freshman User
You know, I thought of the 'tape-a-key" option, but mine has the super picky style of pickup-loop, so the key has to be in the ignition to work - under the dash apparently won't satisfy the reader.

I'm going to look into the little black override box for the remote start systems, if that's the only workable sollution. This is an irritant for a lot of owners so I'm hoping someone has cooked up a clean, slick work around.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:46 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
Newer chevrolets have the same thing you know... or at least Trailblazer does... Ford can flash your pcm to turn off PATS... I inquired about that a while ago they do it via the WDS system

Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me I'm glad for the key. It helps with insurance cost if nothing else. If you go to a locksmith they can make a key and some can program it without the second one I believe. For mine I made up a 3rd key for just in case.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Gcoldtruck2
New User
1 key

I bought my 03 with only one key. I had another one made from the single. It does cost a little extra but it can be done at a good lock shop. You're right under the dash wont work, it needs to be within a few inches of the ignition. Ive heard taped to the bottom of the column directly underneath is good but never tried it.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I dont know if yalls trucks are different, but my column has a plastic cover. I would think there would be room in there somewhere that would work.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:34 AM
rangedude
Freshman User
Summary to Date

OK, so far the options we have are:

+ Buy a key and buy 40 minutes of shop time to code because of poor PATS II design
+ Buy a remote start box - but still need the 40 minutes shop time because of PATS II requirement for 2 keys to add a new one
+ Pull apart the column, place the key in the center of the pickup ring, and hot glue together, tape to inside of column, reassemble. Use standard key to start vehicle. (kind of a high tech craft project, but messy and sort of McGyverish)

Any others ideas for a clean fix out there?

Also - There's rumor that the system can be flashed to shut off PATS II, but my local dealer reports they have tried, but cannot get info on turning PATS II off.

In my case at least, my dealer staff is more than willing to help. They don't like getting abused by upset customers who are just discovering PATS II's true labor and materials costs.

Last edited by rangedude; 01-13-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 AM
rangedude
Freshman User
PATS vs. PATS II and beyond.

Originally Posted by oldgoat49
For me I'm glad for the key. It helps with insurance cost if nothing else. If you go to a locksmith they can make a key and some can program it without the second one I believe. For mine I made up a 3rd key for just in case.
To clarify: On the original PATS this is allowed. On PATS II and beyond you must have the original two keys to make a third. The message here is insist on a spare as part of the purchase of your vehicle, or get one within days.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Instead of the hot glue mount you could use extra long zip lock cable ties to secure the key in place.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
amanty
New User
powerstroker

What is a PCM and WDS system. I have a 00' F150 lost key so we ripped out the ignition but now cant get past the pats key problem

Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
The key is big, buts it not that big, I work at a hardware store and cut keys all the time, believe me there are much bigger keys out there.

Is it really worth it to spend all this time (and possibly money) trying to come up with a work around, or is it jsut easier to deal with a slightly oversized key??

Old 02-18-2008, 03:54 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rangedude
To clarify: On the original PATS this is allowed. On PATS II and beyond you must have the original two keys to make a third. The message here is insist on a spare as part of the purchase of your vehicle, or get one within days.
Mine was on a 99 B3000 and I did have two keys, but was having a 3rd one made just in case one got lost. However I thought that I was told that some locksmiths had the capability of reprogramming a spare key from just one, but like you said it must have been on the Pats 1 system. I would wonder what would happen though if a owner bypasses the security system without telling the insurance company and then the truck gets stolen. The insurance rates on mine is partially because of the security system that it has.
I also have a 05 Grand Caravan and if you want to talk about a big key it has one and to make bad matters worse it has just a little thin loop on one corner for the key ring. Mine broke a few months after I got the van so I had the basic no frills security key made since it has a one more like the ford key that you wouldn't break off. It is suppose to be able to be used to reprogram another full feature key, and so far the only problem I have with it is that if we lock it with the power locks or the wife's remote key the alarm will usually have time to go off at least once before I can get in and start it.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
The pcm is the powertrain control module. This is one of the many computers on board the truck. The pcm is used to comunicate with drivetrain components and ignition systems. The newer PATS system uses the pcm enabled system of communicating with the key and receiver to determine if the correct key signature is being transmitted. The WDS is the worldwide diagnostic system, or VCM/vehicle communication module that Ford uses to communicate and program computer systems in trucks. This is also used in the programming of the PATS keys. They can turn PATS on and off with this module, although I have heard that sometimes it works, but other times you cycle the system and the computer turns the option back on...

Quick Reply: Securilock/PATS II Keys