6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Check Air Filer Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rknight111
That doesn't help me much, I live in Alberta,Canada and never got one. I have a block heater though. I sure liked it when the dealer called ford and they gave me the service bulletin and said your SOL Ford wont warrante your filter. I was blown away, So I bought the new one, he did give me a deal on it though. Now I checked last night and Its 1/2 frozen with snow so I should get one more day out of it and I'll put the dried out filter in there, and thaw the new one out.
Now its been 3 days and not a call or email from Ford. I let them know If I didn't recieve any correspondence from them within 5 working days I would go further with this.

Where does the new trucks draw the air from I need to re-deflect it somehow. They have no parts available at the dealer.

Whats a job1 truck and a job2 truck?
All trucks built for Canada come with the block heater cord. All Canada trucks starting with job 2 build get the winter front cover as well.

Job 1 started on 12/19/2006
Job 2 started on 7/30/2007

Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
ECG
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't FORD put out a video showing the new 6.4's running around in ALASKA on some oil pipeline? They were talking about how it was 30 below outside and the trucks could run fine.

Wouldn't they have come across this during testing there?

Pete

Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
rknight111
New User
Just talked with Ford today about this issue. I wanted them to refund my money for the air filter, supply me with a FREE winter front as they advertise and also Fix this problem with some sort of a recall. There engineers will be contacting me they say, My truck is booked in the dealer on Friday and they will be looking at the snow and Ice in the air filter. The new filter is allready getting covered in Snow and Ice allready after 2 days of driving. I'll keep you informed what they say. Guess I'll be driving the trusty duramax for the time being.

RON

Old 12-05-2007, 02:43 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
Ford has expanded the number of cold weather states for '08. Like jrtraderny mentioned, NY has been added along with ID, MI, NH, and VT.

So anyone with a JOB2 truck originally delivered to one of the 15 states listed above should have a winter cover as standard equipment.
Good info, that must have been a running Job 2 change as i do not have it on any of my printed literature for Job 1 & 2 builds. Thanks for the update.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 PM
pdiesel
Senior User
I will be traveling to some very cold areas soon. Does the block heater help at all with this problem?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdiesel
I will be traveling to some very cold areas soon. Does the block heater help at all with this problem?
Unfortunately the block heater will do nothing to remedy this issue. A winter front seems to be the only current solution.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
jrtraderny
Senior User
Originally Posted by pdiesel
All the block heater does is warm up the engine prior to starting , providing you have one and have access to 110 volts to plug it in.
jr

Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
rknight111
New User
My truck is in at the dealer today again on this issue, Ford will not pay me for my filter and I am on my own on this now. They say it falls into a Maintence issue and not warrenty. I need to add the factory winter front to the truck, I checked with the parts department and it is not yet available. I will have to check some aftermarket people untill Ford gets more and more complaints. I have contacted our local Global News Troubleshooters now as why should I pay 65000 for a truck that I need to replace the air filter every time I ride in a snowstorm, and it was hardly snowing. By the way my truck has 12000 km on it and the filter has a rating of up to 30000 miles.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Outlaw350
New User
Stranded

I was plowing with mine and it stalled and wouldn't run again. I pulled the filter and it was a block of ice and the tube was full of snow. My service "advisor" told me tough luck he didn't know anything and some sort of winter cover was a stupid idea. Then the manager got on the phone and told me he was sorry and the found the bullitin about the winter cover and they said they would cover my new filter. I used a piece of cardboard zip tied to the grill to get me going again.

The dealers should know more about these trucks than they do. On the plus side the GM at my dealership is a client and I plow his drive, so I think they will help me out.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Newf14
New User
Angry 08 f250 6.4l Ice Maker !

It's comforting to hear I am not the only who is expericing airfilter ICE MAKING !

I have an 08 6.4 with 4000 kms and I just drove 20kms in the snow and my filter is completly covered with at least 1/2 inch of snow all around it !

Is there a rerouting of the intake until Ford comes up with a fix ! This is crazy ! 20kms ! So much for wanting to plow snow !

Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
Help, I've got to take a little trip of about 50 miles round trip in a blowing snow this afternoon. Now I'm worried it won't make it! Does anyone know where there's a picture of the grill cover? Could I just zip tie a pizza box on the grill?

Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
RedDragon777
Senior User
just turn the cardboard around and zip tie it or cut it into peice to fit each of the holes in the grill and it will work, and that 1-800 number looks like the number to my ford dealership here in mercedes and we are located in Deep South Texas where it only snowed once in the last 100 years. I am planning on buying some sort of grill cover and ordering the block heater for when i make the trips to WI during the winter and maybe one or two trips to alaska to see my friend

Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
alremkin
Junior User
It was about a month ago when my "check air filter" warning came on during a very light snowfall during my trip from central BC to the coast. I guess this is where we in cold weather climates find out how good our dealers are? It's seems some know about the winter cover for the grille and some don't, although no one seems to have one even after the so-called million miles test which supposedly included arctic driving, I guess it didn't snow during their test drive? Let me offer a few solutions I've thought of:

1. Buy two extra Airfilters so you can alternate them when they fill with snow, leaving them on the floor in the front seat beneath the heater vent so you always have a dry one for winter driving.

2. Park your truck in October and start driving it again in April or May depending on where you live, local conditions.

3. Get a Business Lisence and sell a couple of snow cones along the hyway while you change Air Filter in the snow. You'll usually get enough ice for two snow cones/filter change, so it will take awhile to recoupe to cost of the extra filters. This will also require you to have cups and syrup on hand for the snow cones.

4. I bought a piece of fine mesh bug screen @ Rona and tied it to my grille it seems to work fairly well so far.

5. Class Action Law Suit.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
If I remember right, the dvd that came with our 08's showed them being tested somewhere way up north in blizzard conditions. This is bull! The movie was probablly shot in Holywood with some special effects. It just doesn't seem right to have to think twice about making a little road trip in the snow in a $50,000 truck. Oh by the way, I just got back from my little 50 mile trip taking my grandson home and everything went well. The 4-WD worked great, the ABS functioned as it should and I didn't have any air filter problems (I didn't put the pizza box on the grill).

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM
alremkin
Junior User
Sounds like you had a lucky trip which is good. I think a big worry, other than the filter not working, about the snow getting into the Air Filter is that some of the snow can melt and then if the temperature is below freezing the melted snow can freeze again and possibly crack the Air Filter Housing which would allow unfiltered air into the engine if the cracked housing isn't detected and repaired.

Quick Reply: Check Air Filer Warning