Here's a rig for those of us too lazy to build one.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,930 Posts
Old 12-06-2007, 05:48 PM
07psdrookie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not for 3,600 smackers!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built one in a couple of 55 gal drums, total cost: <$100. Can churn out 120 gallons a day.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by AndysFords
I built one in a couple of 55 gal drums, total cost: <$100. Can churn out 120 gallons a day.
I'd love to see how you did that. For that small of a start up cost I may even be persueded to try making some BD.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
captaincook
Junior User
I cant find any real technical info on it anywhere.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Firemedic
With a used waterheater as the primary vessel a barebones Appleseed costs less than $200

Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by captaincook
I cant find any real technical info on it anywhere.
I asked for literature. We'll see what they have to say when it gets here.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
captaincook
Junior User
I got an email back finally,

Hi,
yes we are dealers for greenfuels but
your dealer in the states is

biodieselsolutions.com

mail is: info@biodieselsolutions.com

Toll Free877) 358-6400

Main775) 358-6400
__________________________________________________ _____________
another one
Dear Jimmye
Thank you for your email and apologies that we have not got back to you sooner.
With regards to dealership, it is necessary to have one of our processors and be set up making biodiesel. We would then need to see how you are getting on with it and assess your suitability to become a dealer.
To purchase a FuelPod, we would need to have a full delivery address so that we can make you a quotation that includes the shipping cost. If you would like me to make you a quotation or if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards
Laura Watson

Last edited by captaincook; 12-11-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
captaincook
Junior User
another response, I will let you know the price as soon as they let me know.

The following link to our website shows the steps involved in the FuelPod 2, as you can see it is a very simple process: http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/FuelPod_2_Quick_Guide.pdf

I have also attached a document about the chemicals required. You may like to contact your local chemical supply and check that they can supply in smaller quantities. One batch needs approximately 10 litres of methanol and you may like to see if you can get hold of methylate solution, if not then caustic soda. We are currently looking into the cost of shipping for you, if in the meantine you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Kind Regards Laura Watson

Last edited by captaincook; 12-12-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:44 PM
misnomer
Senior User
Originally Posted by AndysFords

FuelPod2 seems a bit pricey for what you are getting. it has a nice all in one design but you still have to go through the titrations and all the normal stuff. I still think the BioPro is a better unit, all stainless steel, glass lined tubing.. and it is a all in one design. It also does esterfication before transesterfication (acid then base) and thus is no need for titrations... (assume 100% and thus every batch uses the same amount of chemicals). It is set for a two day process.. fill... hit start... the next day drain off glycerin and start the wash cycle. It uses a water wash so it takes longer than the FuelPod2 dry wash... but I have seen the lab results and the biodiesel exceeds all the ASTM requirements. They are coming out with a dry wash unit for the BioPro probably this year. I haven't found as much info on the fuelpod2. The BioPro is more expensive though... sadly I cannot afford either one... THUS

I will end up doing something similar to AndyFords and use some 55 gal drums. Has anyone been using the foolproof method of processing? (acid/base) I am wondering if I will have some real trouble using steel drums and sulfuric acid? I am wondering how 380 ml of sulfuric acid mixed in 50 gal of oil and 6 gal of methanol will effect a steel drum? Doesn't seem like much to me and since it gets consumed in the reaction I don't see how it should cause any additional problems.