6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 6.4 power upgraids

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Sambo366
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 6.4 power upgraids

Hey guys, I just got a 2008 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6.4 as my work truck. I was wondering what everybody is using as far as upping the power. I know airaid has an intake for the truck, but I dont know if the dealer would like that or not. I have been looking around, and it seems edge, sct, superchips, hypertech, bulley dog, and a few others already have some electronic things out for this vehicle. I was wondering which one I could use and take off when I have to take it to the dealer and they wont find out. I heard some leave footprints and others dont. I have mainly been leaning toward the edge that you can put in the dash and the SCT. The SCT does have an extreme version thats pretty tempting Here is the site I have been looking at: http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...S&Category=585
I dont want all out ***** to the wall performance, just something to give it a pretty good boost in power that wont mess up the trans or the rest of the truck, or get me busted at the dealer I have also read that some of these tuners might mess up the DPF, does anyone have any info to back that up? The truck is also on 35" bfg mud terrains so I need something that can re-calibrate the speedo. The other thing im interested in is a leveling kit for these trucks. The tires rub a little but when ya turn a certain way and hit some pretty good bumps. This truck is an oilfield truck so I will be going down some pretty crappy roads, and I wanna get it leveled out so it doesnt mess up the tires. Thanks for the input fellas,
Sam

Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you will find some answers at the following thread. Although they are probably not what you wanted to hear...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-warranty.html

Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Sambo366
New User
Yeah I read that thread before I joined, thats kinda what I figured. I wanna get something because I hate driving a stock vehicle. If there was something that they couldn't detect for sure I would be all for it. I just might have to wait a bit and see if the dealers get more leinant on things like this.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
There is not a so-called "FLASH COUNTER" as Ford has stated, SCT has also confirmed this. Also, my truck has been reflashed and it had been tuned 3 or 4 different occasions before that. I asked the tech whom is a VERY good friend if he could tell it had been done, he looked around and didn't even find a P1000 "Vehicle Drive Cycle" which is a Diagnostic Code thats produced even when a Code Reader is plugged in. I am running a SCT Extreme Race Livewire, MBRP Filter-Back Stainless 4", and a S&B Intake. Made 400RWHP and 711RWTQ before the Intake was installed and I can tell a pretty big gain after the Intake.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Sambo366
New User
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
There is not a so-called "FLASH COUNTER" as Ford has stated, SCT has also confirmed this. Also, my truck has been reflashed and it had been tuned 3 or 4 different occasions before that. I asked the tech whom is a VERY good friend if he could tell it had been done, he looked around and didn't even find a P1000 "Vehicle Drive Cycle" which is a Diagnostic Code thats produced even when a Code Reader is plugged in. I am running a SCT Extreme Race Livewire, MBRP Filter-Back Stainless 4", and a S&B Intake. Made 400RWHP and 711RWTQ before the Intake was installed and I can tell a pretty big gain after the Intake.
Oh yeah? Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. SCT looked the most promising to me. SCT is awesome on the 6.0's. I wonder if the dealer will give me a hassle if I get the same one you did and install that EGT probe? Those are great numbers too man Have you ran it in the 1/4 mile yet? This will be on my company truck so it needs to be reliable. Do you know of any good leveling kits for these trucks? I found one on ebay last night for 90 dollars. Would the dealer stir up stuff about a leveling kit? Sorry for all the questions man, im new to the ford world. I'm a chevy guy. This 08 is a sweet truck though.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sambo366
Oh yeah? Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. SCT looked the most promising to me. SCT is awesome on the 6.0's. I wonder if the dealer will give me a hassle if I get the same one you did and install that EGT probe? Those are great numbers too man Have you ran it in the 1/4 mile yet? This will be on my company truck so it needs to be reliable. Do you know of any good leveling kits for these trucks? I found one on ebay last night for 90 dollars. Would the dealer stir up stuff about a leveling kit? Sorry for all the questions man, im new to the ford world. I'm a chevy guy. This 08 is a sweet truck though.
The best policy is to ask your servicing dealer before doing anything and try to get it in writing if they say yes.

You also have to remember if you travel with the vehicle it could be a whole different story. While your dealer may be mod friendly, the dealer that is hundreds of miles away where your truck broke down may tell you no way.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Sambo366
New User
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
The best policy is to ask your servicing dealer before doing anything and try to get it in writing if they say yes.

You also have to remember if you travel with the vehicle it could be a whole different story. While your dealer may be mod friendly, the dealer that is hundreds of miles away where your truck broke down may tell you no way.
Yeah I see what ya mean. I travel alot with this truck and that would be a major concern. But if they can't detect it was every there, there shouldn't be a problem, correct? I would take anything out before it went to the dealer.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sambo366
Yeah I see what ya mean. I travel alot with this truck and that would be a major concern. But if they can't detect it was every there, there shouldn't be a problem, correct? I would take anything out before it went to the dealer.
If we are talking about a tuner, honestly I am not one of those who completely believes that you can not detect them. While they may not be easily detectable by a dealer, Ford engineers have access to information within the computer that dealer techs do not unless they have been instructed on how to. Even then it is useless garbage to most as it is displayed in hexdecimal format. So, I guess the question is what all can the engineer see that the tech can not.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Sambo366
New User
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
If we are talking about a tuner, honestly I am not one of those who completely believes that you can not detect them. While they may not be easily detectable by a dealer, Ford engineers have access to information within the computer that dealer techs do not unless they have been instructed on how to. Even then it is useless garbage to most as it is displayed in hexdecimal format. So, I guess the question is what all can the engineer see that the tech can not.
Yeah if I was to put anything it would be SCT or edge. I just wanted to get myself an early christmas present. I'm still kinda on the fence, mabye I will wait for a bit and see what happends to others. Thanks for answering my questions though man.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Sambo366
New User
Interesting.