Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Idle too slow

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 AM
itcowboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle too slow

I have a 2005 F250 V10 CC Automatic. Had the battery removed for a few minutes and now the truck idles really slow. It was idling in the 750-900 range before the battery disconnected. This morning when I shifted from reverse to drive after backing out of the drive it died because the idle was so low. When in drive now it is idling down to like 500 or maybe a bit lower. Is there a way to speed up the idle or will the PCM eventually do it on its own?

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I'd think it will re-learn. I've seen the exact same thing in my '96 t-bird. After a computer reset, it would stall going into drive/reverse, but in a few days, it re-learns.

What I'd do is take it on the highway, accelerate up to highway speeds, coast to a stop, then floor it again. Drive it around a few days trying to do every possible different type of driving and see what it does.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
dockrocker
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I cleaned the MAF, disconnected the battery, and it seems better though not fully cured. Stalled today when I was cranked over pulling into a parking space. 2005 V10 CC F250, 43K miles. Hoping to replace the fuel filter this weekend to see if that will help.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
itcowboy
New User
After reading all the posts on IAC replacement, I thought I would clean the IAC just for kicks. I checked out the pics of IAC replacement on an 03 in one users' gallery. Will it basically be the same on the 3V 05?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
itcowboy
New User
I discovered my 2005 is "drive by wire" with no IAC. Looking through the TSBs I found TSB 06-25-8 that talks about loss of RPM on deaccleration and basically describes what my truck is doing now, especially the part about dying with steering cranked over. Called the local dealer and they said $88 to flash the PCM. The article also talks about possibly replacing the TSP or throttle body. Should I try the $40 TSP first or try flashing the PCM first?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I would seriously wonder about the dealer charging you ANYTHING for this.

Unless you're over the mileage, you're still in the factory warranty. I'd call the 1-800 number for Ford Customer Service first and see what they say, even if you are over the mileage.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
itcowboy
New User
Don't think I trust that dealer

Truck stalled crossing traffic today. Was a bit scary coasting at 10mph across lane of traffic and trying to steer the beast. So I decided to take it by the dealer and let them hook to IDS and flash if needed. I called see if it was done and they said it needed throttle body and they could have it by tomorrow. Total cost would be $412 parts and labor. $130 of that in labor. Got part number looked up on directfordparts.com and it was considerably cheaper. They claim they hooked to IDS but flash was up-to-date. I asked if it was bolt on or would require computer work too. Mechanics were all gone and he didn't know. Told him I was just going to pick it up for now and decide what to do later since it was still drivable.

Paid for diagnostics, went outside started truck and guess what, idling perfect once again. Drove home and idled perfectly in stop and go traffic. Back up to about 600 rpm in gear and just over 750 in park when hot. No more RPM loss when slowing to stop in traffic. It may act up again soon enough but don't think I really believe the dealer at this point.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
FordCamping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Itcowboy

You and I are experiencing very similar issues. Let's compare notes. <O</O

I have a 2005 F350, crew cab, short bed with the V10, 3 valve. I just aquired this truck about 2 weeks ago.<O</O

3 days ago I pulled up to the red light and, poof, she stalls. No check engine light, just stops. After I realized what happened I cranked it up and went on my way praying I was not going to get rear ended. <O</O

Then it stalled again about 2 or 3 times. Oh boy something is not right. I had a ½ tank of gas and 1<SUP>st </SUP>thought was water in the gas. Truck on dealers lot, before it was on a horse farm, maybe it picked up moisture. And that day it dropped real cold so thought of freeze up. <O</O

I put 2 bottles of dry gas in, filled up and went home. Stalled again about 2 to 3 times on the way home. <O</O

Parked in heated garage at home figuring it would thaw out. Got up and went to the truck. When I cranked it over she was idling real rough. Backed out and headed to work. Well it stalled 3 times again and I said that’s it and drove right to the local dealer. Told them this thing just stalls, it hits 500 RPM and starts hunting, up down, up down. Seems if she goes much under 500, it will just plain stall. Told the service manger all this and they took it in.<O</O

2 hours later he comes out, said they reloaded the computer as there was TSB on this and it runs smooth now. Said they could never get it to stall. Said no charge under warranty and if it acts up again bring it back. They cannot find anything. Technically I was out of warranty with 45K miles on the truck but I was not going to complain they did good by me.<O</O

<O</O
Went out, fired up the truck and there she goes again. Up, down, up down. Hunting. It swings 500 to 750 rpm back and forth. I’m already late for work. Drive it around the dealers lot and stop and go. It would not stall but still hunt.

It has been 2 days now, no stall but the hunt continues. Some time it idles down to 650 and only hunts very little. Then it get’s into the 500 to 750 mode again. When it is cold, the high idle kicks in and she is fine until it warms up and then starts the hunt again.

Something else I noticed and do not know if it is related or not. Mileage drop. I have been getting 12 to 12.5 MPG for 5 days straight driving to work. Also had 150 miles highway trip before this, still getting 12.5. Used use this truck to tow my camper last Saturday. I put it in tow haul mode. She towed very well. I reset the mileage meter and it read 10.5 for the whole 21 mile trip. Filled up with gas, reset the mileage again and now for a week straight going to work again, it will not break free of 10.6 MPG. I cannot get back to the 12 area.

I have to figure out this idle hunting as stalling side ways in an intersection makes me a real long target

If I find anything I’ll post back. Right now I have not had time myself to dig into this. But will this weekend. Before I go back to the dealer I need learn more about this. It is not stalling at least, but my faith in it is not high. 500 RPM sure seems low.

Does anyone know what the idle speed spec is suppose to be?

Thanks

Last edited by FordCamping; 12-06-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

If the PCM has the current flash, then I would suspect the Throttle Position (TP) sensor. Those symptoms sound just like what I have read here on FTE before.

Good luck...

biz

Old 12-07-2007, 08:17 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this same problem with the motor dying and it was repaired under warranty by replacing the TPS and re-flashing the computer.

My specific problem was that the motor would die in intersections, which gets to be real interesting when you're trying to turn in traffic without an engine or power steering.....

Another characteristic that I thought I noted was that the dying was most likely to occur when the vehicle was on a slight incline at the intersection.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 AM
itcowboy
New User
Sounds like this is definitely an issue on these "drive-by-wire" V10 trucks. If mine acts up again, I plan on calling Ford Cust. Service and complain about how hazardous it is for this to happen in traffic and see if I can get them to cover costs since I'm out of warranty.

Anybody know if the TPS or throttle body is bolt on and go or would the truck need to be hooked to computer and calibrated?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
FordCamping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ITCowboy

I found the problem with mine, dirt in the MAF sensor. Now runs smooth and no more hunting at idle.

Do not know if you saw this post or not, one of my buddies helped me on my missing air cleaner clip and after more inverstigation, I found the rpm hunting problem, plus I now have my gas milage back.

Hope this helps

See page 2 of this post for the resolution. The fix was from other forum members on where to go and look.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...v-air-box.html