1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help! I can't decide whther to go straight pipe or muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Flying Finn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I can't decide whther to go straight pipe or muffler...

I'm buying a 5" exhaust (from that eBay guy) but as the title says, I can't decide whether I should get a muffler or go with straight pipe?

I want more noise and turbo whistle but I already have one really loud car (Porsche 911 with straight pipes & just racing cats) and don't want to make it really loud. Outside it can be pretty loud but not so that it makes listening the radio inside unbearable or just driving in it in principle.

I want to be able to hear what the passeneger is saying without the need to raise the voice...

So, are straight pipes be too much or not?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
I have straight pipes on my '96 and love 'em. The noise is not bad at all in the cab with the windows closed, but, at certain speeds, there is a harmonic drone that does get a little annoying on long rides. The turbo will act as a sort of muffler.
Go ahead and do the straights. If you don't like them, then you can have the muffs installed.
Just be wary of the straights will draw more attention, as i'm sure you know with the Porsche, and possibly that of the bad azz barneys with badges and blue lights.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:33 PM
blksiryder
Elder User
i loved my truck w/out a muffler but it was blowing soot all over the truck (i didn't have a delete) so i had to put it back on. i sounds so much better but thats just me

Ryder

Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM
ford dr.
Freshman User
run straights on it it want hert it

Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Straight pipe!!Thats what iam going to do when I get my MBRP 4 inch Exhaust installed on my Excurson
Nick

Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Powerstroke 7.3L Straight Piped with a Black Tip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_IfgF8F2M

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
Originally Posted by ford dr.
What did he say?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
I'm southern so I'll translate it for ya, "run straights on it, it won't hurt it."

Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
is that your truck Gene???

Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 PM
MikeSDK
Elder User
If by 'that eBay guy' you are referring to Mark at MKO, then I have his 5' system on my truck, and I am running the muffler. Keep in mind that this is a 'straight -through' type of muffler, which does not muffle much.

It all comes down to personal preference......I dig the performance increase (esp. lower EGTs), and like some noise, but I have to tell you that I would not want it any louder. The kids won't sleep on a trip with towing the camper as it is now, and if you are trying to talk on the cell phone, it can be difficult to hear.

Just FYI.......if those are of no concern to you, go for the straight pipes.
I can hear lots of turbo whistle with my muffler though....

Cheers!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run straight, pull a TT in the summer. I don't know how it'd sound with a 5er (hopefully I will soon) but towing a TT 4k+ miles, the noise is nothing in the cab. I do roll down the PR window when driving by concrete walls or barriers though. Cause it sounds sweeeeet. The only time it sounds loud is an early morning going hunting. But heck everything sounds loud then.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by westtntrucker
I have straight pipes on my '96 and love 'em. The noise is not bad at all in the cab with the windows closed, but, at certain speeds, there is a harmonic drone that does get a little annoying on long rides. The turbo will act as a sort of muffler.
Go ahead and do the straights. If you don't like them, then you can have the muffs installed.
Just be wary of the straights will draw more attention, as i'm sure you know with the Porsche, and possibly that of the bad azz barneys with badges and blue lights.

i had my truck straight piped and i loved it, but i had to put the muffler back on, everything was fine until i put the camper on this spring and for some reason the sound in the cab was unbearable after about 2 hours bombin down the highway, sounds wierd but it somehow kept the sound more apparent in the cab, but take the camper off, and everything is great, but in the end i chose to put the muffler back on.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
I'm southern so I'll translate it for ya, "run straights on it, it won't hurt it."
Thanks, us city folk was havin' trouble wit dat.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
ford dr.
Freshman User
looks like i'll have to talk to my helper about posting from my company laptop. spelling lessons also. good kid though and he bleeds ford blue just like me. he just traded the stang for 99 f-250 4x4, transfer case parts arrived today and gets the in-bed y-pipe and 5 inch open stacks next. like he says open her up and listen to the sweet music. when you get as old as me you can tell the service advisor" sure i'll try to find that noise, by the way you do know i'm deaf. " worth every minute of it in spite of loss of hearing, bad back, etc.
with open exhaust you can't hear the other rattles and such , but you can tell by the tone if she's running like she should.
tomorrow i'll speak to matt about posting from my laptop and while i give spelling lessons, he can find someone to work with me on capitalization, punctuation, and typing with more than 2 index fingers and a thumb.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Flying Finn
Senior User
Big thanks to everyone for the replies!

As long as it's not too obnoxious if I'm taking it easy, I think I'll be ok with straights...

Originally Posted by blksiryder
i loved my truck w/out a muffler but it was blowing soot all over the truck (i didn't have a delete) so i had to put it back on. i sounds so much better but thats just me

Ryder
What is the "delete" you mean?

Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Straight pipe!!Thats what iam going to do when I get my MBRP 4 inch Exhaust installed on my Excurson
Nick
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
OK, tht's enough, I'm going straights!

Originally Posted by MikeSDK
If by 'that eBay guy' you are referring to Mark at MKO, then I have his 5' system on my truck, and I am running the muffler. Keep in mind that this is a 'straight -through' type of muffler, which does not muffle much.

It all comes down to personal preference......I dig the performance increase (esp. lower EGTs), and like some noise, but I have to tell you that I would not want it any louder. The kids won't sleep on a trip with towing the camper as it is now, and if you are trying to talk on the cell phone, it can be difficult to hear.

Just FYI.......if those are of no concern to you, go for the straight pipes.
I can hear lots of turbo whistle with my muffler though....

Cheers!
Yep, that's the guy (MKO). Now you got me concerned again...

Originally Posted by Orezona
I run straight, pull a TT in the summer. I don't know how it'd sound with a 5er (hopefully I will soon) but towing a TT 4k+ miles, the noise is nothing in the cab. I do roll down the PR window when driving by concrete walls or barriers though. Cause it sounds sweeeeet. The only time it sounds loud is an early morning going hunting. But heck everything sounds loud then.
Originally Posted by mybigredford
i had my truck straight piped and i loved it, but i had to put the muffler back on, everything was fine until i put the camper on this spring and for some reason the sound in the cab was unbearable after about 2 hours bombin down the highway, sounds wierd but it somehow kept the sound more apparent in the cab, but take the camper off, and everything is great, but in the end i chose to put the muffler back on.
looks like i'll have to talk to my helper about posting from my company laptop. spelling lessons also. good kid though and he bleeds ford blue just like me. he just traded the stang for 99 f-250 4x4, transfer case parts arrived today and gets the in-bed y-pipe and 5 inch open stacks next. like he says open her up and listen to the sweet music. when you get as old as me you can tell the service advisor" sure i'll try to find that noise, by the way you do know i'm deaf. " worth every minute of it in spite of loss of hearing, bad back, etc.
with open exhaust you can't hear the other rattles and such , but you can tell by the tone if she's running like she should.
tomorrow i'll speak to matt about posting from my laptop and while i give spelling lessons, he can find someone to work with me on capitalization, punctuation, and typing with more than 2 index fingers and a thumb.
I don't do much towing, only towing my Porsche to the race track few times a year so that's not a concern.

I'll go straight pipes, I know if I don't I will wonder howthey would sound like... I can always install the muffler later.

Thanks again guys!