1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Big pop then blown intercooler boots and fuel leak.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 PM
resonance530
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Big pop then blown intercooler boots and fuel leak.

I know it's in the forums somewhere. At about 2,500 rpm I got a big pop and lost a lot of power. When I looked under the hood the driver side intercooler boot had blown apart, and fuel was dripping out of a hard line off the front of the block. I put the boot back together, runs but hiccups, and fuel still dripping pretty quick. What's going on here? Thanks!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The loud pop would've been the intercooler boot popping off, so you've fixed that already. (If you find it pops off again, you can try using hair spray as a sort of binder between the boot and pipe, and the CCV reroute mod will help keep the oil out of there that makes things slippery.)

Fuel leak is probably an unrelated issue. Maybe the line just needs tightening?

Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
resonance530
New User
Thanks Ryan, but...

What caused the intercooler lines to blow apart? The boots are in good shape and really tight. Does this just happen sometimes? And as for the fuel leak, it looks like it's coming out of a 1/4 inch hard metal line that just ends without connecting to anything. It looks like some sort of drain line or bypass line or something. Is there a pressure relief somewhere that would divert fuel into this line? A friend mentioned the fuel drain tab on the filter housing and thought it had maybe popped open. Does this sound like anything familiar? Once the intercooler lines were back together, the truck still ran way worse than before the pop so something else broke at the same time, and the fuel leak is definately a new problem. Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what you describe, your fuel bowl drain valve is leaking. No biggy PureDieselPower sells a nice kit for that. As far as your driver-side boot blowing, those Silicone weak OE boots just get soft and don't hold over time. Bob at Dieselsite.com sell a really nice set to replace the upper OE boots and lower boots for the Spider to intake manifold.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM
BigJim99
Ford Truck Loyalist
+1 What Oregona said; if your old boots are undamaged you can also remove them, degrease the intercooler pipes, wash the boots in and out with carb cleaner and reinstall when dry. A light spray of anything sticky(hairspray, disc adhesive, 3M posterboard stikum, etc.) on the inside of the boots just before slipping 'em on will do the trick.
The "running rough" didn't happen after I blew a boot this summer; I had previously installed the boost/EGT gauges and I watched the EGT like a hawk and kept the truck at really low speeds/low throttle 'til I got it home. I noticed that the EGT rise was a lot faster and hotter than usual even restricting my speed. I kept it at or below 850-900F for fear of scorching a valve or whatever. (Here in Northern Ohio it's pretty flat so I could do it; in hilly terrain I don't know how quick it would raise the EGT beyond safe limits.)

Fix that fuel leak and check the fuel bowl filter while you're at it. It might just be as simple as that.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
resonance530
New User
Thanks so much.

I'm gonna replace those boots tommorow, and find that dern fuel leak. I love cheap repairs!!!