N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Carb and intake suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mecinoid
OOO ---- . . . .I want the power .... But, I also like to rev the motor and hear it rev up fast too like that 454. It unbelievable that you can make a big block spin like that.
I worry about you and Mike - most GM people are used to using 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets, while most ford truck people use 1/2" and 3/4" sets. You sure you got tools strong enough for our vintage of trucks?

It is sort of like trying to use a fine set of jeweler's or watchmaker's tools when you really need a 5 pound sledge and a big chisel.

Ford used masive cast iron heads and intake manifolds to pull heat away from the combustion chamber - I am sure an aluminum head/manifold would look cool and sound good, but would you want to start up the Grapevine pulling a 20k load on a hot summer day?

Our vintage of trucks were not precision machines - they were built to withstand hard service. Like the old Timex watches - no one would confuse them with a fine Rolex, but they would take a beating and keep on ticking!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Anyone know where to look for a stock 4 bbl intake for an FE? I would like to get this done before the new Year.

I will keep an eye on Craigslist. I don't know if I want to pay shipping on one from ebay. They weigh too darn much to ship.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I gave one away early this year - they weigh about 80 pounds, as I remember.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WillyB
I gave one away early this year - they weigh about 80 pounds, as I remember.
Yeah... that sounds right. My 2bbl intake felt like it weighed that much when I had it off my engine earlier this year.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Ford used masive cast iron heads and intake manifolds to pull heat away from the combustion chamber - I am sure an aluminum head/manifold would look cool and sound good, but would you want to start up the Grapevine pulling a 20k load on a hot summer day?
I see your point. On the other hand, Dan's '68 FE360 kept its cool pulling my 4700 lb truck and 2K+ lb trailer over Donner on a 70 degree day.

hmmm, now I am wondering what 20k load I can pull with my truck... maybe a new travel trailer or somethings. How can I sneak one of those into my driveway without Val seeing it.

Like the old Timex watches - no one would confuse them with a fine Rolex, but they would take a beating and keep on ticking!

And in my case... ticking and knocking and clattering, but still going.

Thanks for all the great advice Clint, Mike, Dan, AJ, and all others. I will post pics and stuff after I get it done.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
OOPS, I know lots of people who have aluminum intakes with no problems. Worse that can happen is your gas starts pooling and boiling in the bowl - but then you can add a heat spacer under the carb to fix that!

If you do go with the old cast iron manifold, there was some built for the T-birds that had a "S" embossed on the front runner. They are supposed to be better.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
UPDATE--- I had to copy Dan's engine... I just ordered a Edelbrock Performer 390, Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm Carb from Summit. I tried to find the stuff through FTE sponsors, but had no luck.

I called up Summit and they were very helpful in tracking down all the stuff I needed and making sure the numbers matched up. They even have free UPS ground shipping. They had to read a disclaimer saying that my new carb will not meet CA smog rules. Since it is a '70, it doesn't matter.

I also got some new header gaskets as well since mine have a leak.

Once I get them, I will get my local mechanic to install them for me at his shop.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.... I will get pictures as soon as it is done.
karl

Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Summit is a FTE sponser!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Summit is a FTE sponser!
Now that's the best news I've heard all Fall. I love Summit glad they are a sponsor otherwise my thousands of $'s spent was going to a hack company. Lol !!!!

Woot, Double Woot !!!!!

Karl you might consider getting those header bolt locks that I was talking about. They really have saved me a lot of messing around with header bolt leaks. I swear by them. Well, I swear anyways whether I'm by them or not.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Thanks for reminding me about the bolt locks. I will order them next week. one edit. I am going to replace my header gasket and install the bolt locks in the new year once I figure out how I am going to paint/coat/ treat them.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Yeah, yeah ... that's the ticket bro.... ;-)

Old 12-12-2007, 01:08 AM
cruzinf100
Junior User
I Should've Gotten a V8

The video fastmover posted and reading these posts makes me consider the possibilities. As much as I love the straight six...it's tempting.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Cruzin - If your around these guys long enough you'll get the bug. That's how it started for me. I'm getting ready to build my 390 with the help of FTE. I feel a lot more confident knowing if I run into trouble I can ask a few questions and get back on track during the build.

Oh yes, it will be mine. 390 with 390 plus horses. ;-)

Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Santa came early for my truck. I got a couple of boxes from Summit today.. So far I am really happy with them. Free shipping and it only took 2 days and NO SALES TAX! They even threw in a free baseball cap.

Here is a link to the Intake I got http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

And here is a link to the carb:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It is the same set up as Dan's except I have an electric choke.

I hope to get these put on next week. Now I have to get all my other Christmas gifts, including my wife's. Funny how my truck got it's gift first.

Last edited by fastmover; 12-14-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Thumbs up Photos!

Here are photos of the new carb and intake installed. Thanks to all for your advice.

Quick Reply: Carb and intake suggestions