General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

We're in it now... (SOBERING thoughts) Holiday message

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We're in it now... (SOBERING thoughts) Holiday message

The holiday season has come. Party is in the air, on all of our minds, even if we don't drink. What will be the outcome of this years round?

Will you be safe and sound, or even if you don't drink and drive, will a drunk whack you and yours out on the road in the next few weeks?

We don't know, none of us do.

I'm going to assume you won't place yourself at risk, but how do you know what is going on with another driver, assuming it is not a head on?

Some signs you can look for are erratic driving. Someone who speeds up and slows down again a lot. Weaving in the lane, as if falling asleep or not paying attention.

Stay away from those drivers, however you have to. They may well be in a ditch farther up the road.

Take your time, and be well rested before getting behind the wheel. Many wrecks are not from intoxication, but from driving too far and too long without stopping. Shear tiredness can get you killed as surely as a bottle of whiskey.

If in doubt, pull off. Best of all is to not be out on the "DODGE 'EM CAR RANGE" in the first place, which is sometimes not an option, I know. But LOOK AT the way other drivers drive, and be able to interpret it. If you see someone driving really bad - DO NOT HESITATE to MAKE THE CALL!

It isn't being a 'NARK' - it's saving lives. If you get even one 2,000 pound unguided missile off the road, it would be a blessing.

911, or CB channel NINE.

It could save more than one life...

Statistically, many people will die in the next few weeks. For some, it will be their own fault, but others will be lost because of people who should not have driven in the first place. Innocent people, wasted because of someone they never knew who was careless.

I want you people to be safe, to come through these next few weeks unhurt. Beyond a certain point, there isn't much I can do.

But I CAN ALERT YOU, remind you - even if I seem like a nagging pain in the backside.

We care, and we want to see and hear from you again.

~Wolf out

FOOTNOTE: The weather in Memphis this morning was occasional driving rain. I counted seven or more wrecks from people who skidded out of control on the highway, or collided. Think about this one - are you hungover, or still drunk? It could be good to know the difference.

Are your wipers up to the task of clearing your windshield, or should they be replaced?

Can you REALLY see ahead as far as you need to?

Should you slow down, or even choose a slower route?

Driving safe means thinking about what MIGHT happen, not just where you are at the time.

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-21-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
10-4 on that Wolf!! Good post!! Too many times people get their lives cut short because of drunk drivers!! When it happens around the holidays, it just makes it even harder for the families!! I will be keeping my eyes wide open, yo ucan bet on that!!

Have a SAFE holday season, FTE!!

~Bunny out!!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:20 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well put.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:05 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
But LOOK AT the way other drivers drive, and be able to interpret it. If you see someone driving really bad - DO NOT HESITATE to MAKE THE CALL!

It isn't being a 'NARK' - it's saving lives. If you get even one 2,000 pound unguided missile off the road, it would be a blessing.

911, or CB channel NINE.

It could save more than one life...

~Wolf out
Agreed. I've made those calls. I have no tolerance for that. Make the call and save some lives.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Stay safe all year long. Have a great turkey day.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:48 AM
78stepside429
Senior User
We just had a nasty wreck here 2 nights ago becasue of a 23 year old that was drunk and crossed the center line. Thank God no one was killed, but one is in critical. Make the call people, the next life you save because of it could be your own!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:44 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just topped off my supply of Captain Morgan Private Reserve. Looking for some Crown Royale XR.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I saw several bad wrecks while I was on vacation.The worst was a young trucker who went to sleep & ran off a straight highway & was killed. His wreck shut down highway 79 in north La for half a day.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
The best way to protect yourselves is to think ahead - FAR down the road ahead, and be very observant. This is defensive driving at it's best, and we need all the skill you can apply to it right now, because many are travelling over the holidays.

Myself, except for work I plan to hole up at home.

And just because someone is a professional driver does not mean you are safe next to them. They may be new to it, you may be in a blind spot, they may be a moron who leased a truck without a true CDL...

Never hang out on the side of a big rig for long, pass or drop back.

I also know this from the RV industry. Those delivery drivers? Some of them are in it because it is the only thing left that they can do, and are in poor health to begin with. Don't be around an RV any longer than you can either, and leave a long following distance. When passing, be as obvious as you can, and scoot!

If stuff happens, you don't want to be next to it.

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-22-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:48 PM
George Frasier
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Words of wisdom... It also helps (for me) with 30+ years of riding a motorcycle daily. THAT will make you very aware of other traffic.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Tribalgeek
Junior User
There is a picture up in the Millitary Clothing and Sales store on Schofield Barracks hawaii. This picture as far as I can tell is from around ww2. It's of soldiers hanging a sign at the main gate that reads. "Don't drink and drive. The life you save may be your replacment."

Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
There is an army post somewhere in Maryland that had a billboard you saw as you went out the main gate that said:

You are about to enter the most dangerous zone of conflict in the known world -
A PUBLIC HIGHWAY

Old 11-23-2007, 11:53 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wolf that is great and I happen to agree with the most dangerour zone in the world.
I don't have a choice about being out this year (or any other for that matter) since that IS my job but you have made some good points on here, one of the things that irritates me the most is people that hang out by my trailer duals, please pass or don't I don't care but don't hang on my side or even just slightly behind my trailer because when you do you have first and formost put yourself and your family in serious danger. Do you have any idea how much even just the tread part of one of those tires weighs? let alone a complete set of duals. But the biggest part is when you hang out by my trailer you are cutting off one of my options if something happens in front of me taking away what might be my only escape route to keep me from running over someone that does something stupid, forcing me to go the other way like maybe over a bridge and get killed so your putting me in danger too or someone else. Plus if I come up on say someone on the side of the road now I have to slow down and can't move over to give them room.
Please, watch for trucks and give us some room.
and please if you see someone driving drunk call. I have many, many times was even asked to follow one once even at higher rates of speeds (was told to only drive as fast as I felt safe doing but to if possible keep the person within site until the officer could get to the location) I have also come up on several fatality accidents and even seen them happen, seeing this WILL change you forever trust me, even if it's not someone you knwo personally.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
And my friends? This is far from overwith. Thanksgiving is only the beginning...

We have still several holidays ahead, rotten weather (the worst of the entire year), road construction, and a lot of other possibles to consider. The next few months will not be kind, so it is time now to spin up your alertness, and be on top of what is going on before you are on top of someone else, or worse yet UNDER them.

Don't let this thread go!

Look in, add your input, and help keep us all safe.

I really mean this when I say it:

I WANT YOU TO STILL BE HERE NEXT YEAR!!!

THIS -

It is my annual crusade.

If I can get you through the holiday season alive, I will try whatever I can to do it.

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-23-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
mundt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greywolf

Never hang out on the side of a big rig for long, pass or drop back.

If stuff happens, you don't want to be next to it.
I drove semi's for years, earlier in life. Still drove periodically later on. Even shuttled for a dealer after retirement - but one thing remained a constant.

People that pull alongside, and stay there. Thats dangerous for both parties, the 4 wheeler is probably too oblivious to respond to any upcoming problem. And the semi driver is wondering where the heck he's at.

Quick Reply: We're in it now... (SOBERING thoughts) Holiday message