1965 Mercury 390 comeback

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those small chambered heads would put a person over the top on compression for a daily driver unless the slugs went deep killing quench. Way worse than any compression correction because of detonation problems.
Unless it's a weekend drag built motor it would not work for a stroker build that I like starting from a 410 on up. Your money your call.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
Those small chambered heads would put a person over the top on compression for a daily driver unless the slugs went deep killing quench. Way worse than any compression correction because of detonation problems.
Unless it's a weekend drag built motor it would not work for a stroker build that I like starting from a 410 on up. Your money your call.
"Tell me Carl, I've noticed this trait in every woman I've ever dealt with.. (BUT) the innate ability to find the negative in any situation. No matter how bright a day they seem to bring rain to suit their own self inflicted torment"

Now back to the real deal... I never stated these were for this build.... I stated I found a set of C4AE's that need ear work and these were laying around also... would you have passed them up ? I think not!

I plan to use the C4's and hang onto these COAE heads...

Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
My next build will have aluminum heads, flow much better with higher compression. Do what makes you happy no opinions coming from me.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Never said your opinion wasnt wanted either, so lets not go there.. the assumption factor came into play and it's quite likely I read your response as well as you my post so.. 2 negs dont makea pos.. water under the bridge.. Bob

Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Well today we(that litl **** er on my left shoulder) & I went to PYP to see if the D2 heads wrre still there from a few eeks ago. Looks like the build will get D2's and this bumms me... really considering just dumping the O2 Dodge and finding a runner F100/250 65-74 to utilize meanwhile/forever!!! and build the toy up in time... the FE parts cart is starting to stack up LOL... s'oH well... updates as they arrive.. on the plus side the machinist offered to clean/mag the CO's for free since the D2's replaced the C4 Volcan® rejects LOL/....he swell that fella!!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
No saving the C4?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
well the port is still pending welding.. th guy makes coin od the real stuff so ??? the other C4's have hell to pay LOL... I will try., will post images soon you'll see... the one C4 loks really goos after porting.. but its sister is a tramp LOL... **** happens!!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Bob, PM may off messed up. No worries bro.
.....Carl.....

Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Growing Older helps to think slower LOL

Well with plenty downtime waiting to hear the news on the D2's, decided to make the best of it and just keep at the 1 C4 if nothing else maybe it'll be good practice.. And whataya KnoW!! spent 2.5 hrs manually sanding in there where the die grinder with a dremel 80grit whell wouldnt go. Finally I'm desperate for another option as the ole appendages are starting to ache ti high heaven. Several failed attempts to use a foam to fill the hole while using a strand of emery clothe led to this get up..

I was looking for a piece of rigid something with a OD that would fit in the corners..Had several old outboard parts laying around and spied a piece of 1/4" fuel line(old) and the idea just popped outa nowhere..works freeking great...well did till the old crusty piece of hose gave up the ghost...gonna grab some fresh stuff and have some more fun

A little more inside picts here..
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c.../C4AE%20heads/

Grinnin again, Bob

Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Ya know, it figures you find some 427 heads on an all-or-nothing engine. I ran through my P-Y-S yard and saw a '65:

I think you should put some lipstick on that pitt bull of yours, tell them your woman has PMS; and could they work something out with you?!?!?!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Thumbs down SOB!! this kinda crap usually happens aroud the B-day

I'm damn tempted to pay you to pull one. Got a call from the machine shop at 4:30 today.. The D2TE's "those are junk heads, their cracked" What ? both heads ? "Uhh, yeah" hmmm this is just getting better by the minute. My luck streak is getting back to it's norm...

Whats worse: PYP has a no refund, 30 day parts exchange only policy. And that was the only FE in the yard besides the all or nothing F250... looks like it's time to put lipstick on the mutt {:>(?

Welcome to my world....

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 AM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awwwww that sucks!!!! Bob your not having very good luck with any of those heads!!

For your trouble PYP should let you take those 427 heads off that engine!! That's some bu** sh** right there!! And being there is NO other FE heads in the yard besides those you should either get those or your money back regardless!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Exclamation

With my luck when I go back there will be a transpo trailer full of FE powered classics that somehow burned to the ground on the way to an exhibit
Heading to the machine shop this am to see what the story is. As busy as they were kinda think the guy is talking about the COAE heads I asked to have magged so I could decide whether to sell them off or ?? If it is those, the guy in Riverside is a crook!!! what a shock!! Never been to small claims court lol "what do you mean throwing them through his car window isnt part of the return policy"?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
That expansion tank on that 65 is a keeper item alone.
Bob, join the world of cracked heads as I bet there are more cracked
than not. They follow the same line as 428 cranks I had a collection of,
some had a nice sharp ring then those that went thud.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Well turns out it was the D2TE's that were cracked, hairlines in the intake to spark on one. The other was hot piston that jumped gas between cyl I guess..

On the up side the COAE heads checked out ok. They will need to be done A-Z but hey.. at least the PYP heads will have credit applied..we'll see what we can get in exhange..

Quick Reply: 1965 Mercury 390 comeback