Vintage Tranny ID

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM
OldSchoolRodz
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vintage Tranny ID

I just found an old aftermarket floor shifter, I'm considering using on my 55 F100 LD 3 Spd Overdrive to move it off the column.

Is the 53-55 LD 3 Spd Overdrive any different that the transmission this shifter is listed for (57-63 ford mercury 3 speed OVERDRIVE transmission with straight bottom cover)?

I was under the impression they were the same aside from input shaft lengths / splines?

Thx, Keep it Kool, Keep it Old Skool... David

Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM
acheda
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From your description, it seems that both transmissions have the same rectangular side cover and should have the same length input shafts ("LD" = light duty = rectangular side-cover?). I am not certain about the size of all the pickup vs. passenger car input shafts -- passenger cars were all 1-1/16" (I think) and some pickups were 1-3/8", some the same as passenger car, but ten splines in both cases. (In 1965 pickups switched to passenger-car style input shafts.) This is pretty easy to measure and if you have the "wrong" one, all you need to do is change the clutch driven disk. As far as I know, all the rectangular side-cover overdrive transmissions should use the same shifter mounting kit.

Hopefully "bumping" this thread will inspire others add to or correct my info.