Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake help

Old 12-13-2007, 04:56 PM
doghausbass
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake help

I started to notice some corrosion on my front drivers side rim- wierd but with snow and salt and all i figured that was it- well i cleaned it up and the next day it was back- and along with it a grinding noise when braking. Today the rim looks like it has been sitting in a junk yard for 20 years I just had the X in for an oil change a month ago and they claimed I had 50-70% of the pads left when they looked. Could they have missed this? I know that there are some problems with the rotors warping causing uneven wear- and i did have some wobbling when braking at high speeds but I assumed it was the anti-lock brakes. Right now I'm thinking that the pad is worn down and the corrosion is rusting metal dust on the rim.

any other thoughts?

thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Rust on the rim or the brake rotor?

Surface rust on the rotor is normal and can happen overnight.

Does the grinding happen the entire time you drive or only the first few times you brake?

Brake wobble at high speed and not low speed can be caused by a number of things. (NOT ABS) Rotors with an uneven surface can be one but it usually manifests itself in all speed ranges. It could be worn ball joints or loose/worn needle bearings in the hubs ...amongst other things.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 PM
doghausbass
Freshman User
the rust is on the rim - not the rotor, and the grinding is at all speeds of braking. I cleaned the rims yesterday- by the time i drove to work and back (usual city stop and go) the rust was back- even worse (picture 3 shiny chrome rims and one dirty, rusty one, even on the lug nut cover)

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Then, yeah, you need new pads...and probably at least one rotor.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
I'm going to guess the pad... or lack there of... is grinding a nice fine iron power on your rim. Thus, rust will form quickly... even on a plastic cap. Change is on your horizon. Have fun.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:17 AM
doghausbass
Freshman User
yeah- I think I'll try to have the rotor turned- and a new pad- then in a few months (after paying off the xmas bills) i'll upgrade the front rotors and pads- hopefully they can turn it and give me time to get the new stuff.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by doghausbass
yeah- I think I'll try to have the rotor turned- and a new pad- then in a few months (after paying off the xmas bills) i'll upgrade the front rotors and pads- hopefully they can turn it and give me time to get the new stuff.
If you're putting that much metal on your wheel, I think you're beyond turning that rotor. I just replaced both of my front rotors and bought the stock replacements from Carquest and they were surprisingly inexpensive. I'm running them on my E350 which also tows and have gotten real good service out of their rotors and pads.

I've got to ask you about your handle "doghausbass". Is this the same as "dog house bass"? I'm a bluegrass picker. (Sorry, guys, for the off-topic question.)

BJ Lexington, KY

Last edited by whjco; 12-14-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:31 AM
doghausbass
Freshman User
well I'm hoping its not that far gone yet for the rotors- wish it wasn't the weekend and I had more time to order something- I don't tow anything heavy, just an alum. boat, but whatever rotors I get, I would like to last longer. I have 67K on these (original stock). I guess I can get the order in today and hope it ships fast.

yeah- i play the doghouse- or otherwise- upright bass, love bluegrass, roots, blues, western swing, rockabilly- all that.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 AM
bnuvp
Senior User
You better check the calipers especially if there stock. Chances are good their hanging up on the slides causing the pads to burn off and the rotor to overheat and warp. That's a typical problem with the EX.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
doghausbass
Freshman User
I was thinking that might be the problem too- especially since the pads had material left as of last month.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM
doghausbass
Freshman User
are the powerslot cryo's and hawk pads overkill for someone who doesn't tow?

about how long can I expect them to last- does it take a special machine to turn a slotted rotor?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
BAJI26
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by doghausbass
are the powerslot cryo's and hawk pads overkill for someone who doesn't tow?

about how long can I expect them to last- does it take a special machine to turn a slotted rotor?
No! I don't tow and enjoy stopping when and where I want, its a hugh difference and I would recommend the combo. GL!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
doghausbass
Freshman User
well- I am now in the Power Slot/ Hawks club- (as soon as they come in anyway)

Old 12-14-2007, 05:14 PM
BAJI26
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SWEET and WELCOME!

Search this Thread