1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models
View Poll Results: What would you get?
Stick with the ranger, and here's why...
94.74%
Buy a tacoma, and here's why...
0%
Buy a tundra, self explanatory!
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
.:84Ranger:.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do, what to do?

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1814290 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead> #1
<!-- status icon and date --> Today, 11:38 AM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD noWrap>.:Ninja:. ******** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1814290", true); *********>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Jul 2004

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1814290><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->07 Tundra v 07 Tacoma v 84 Ranger!!
<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I know I know...I said I'd never go back to a new car dealer, but they're gettin desparate, and the 07 tundras are beasts I can change my mind as often as the wind changes direction

I've got three options, and I've been stewing over them for the last 2 months.

Option #1...Keep Uncle Jesse, my 84 ranger...My ranger is over being fixed right now, and should be "functional" for a mere 200 bucks. The problem is, it doesn't fix the oil leak, that needs another $450. The good thing about the ranger is it has no monthly payments If I didn't have this stupid passat at $375/month, it would be pretty sweet.

Pros: $$$...no monthly payments, and its not half bad on gas at a little over 22 mpg.

Cons: Repairs, and the interior is fugly. No stereo, air, pass. door don't work and neither does the tailgate.

Option #2...A basic run of the mill 4x2 inline 4 tacoma. I can get in one for around 16-17k. Scott Clark is more willing to play ball this time around since I have him competing with 5 other highly competitive dealers. They have a nice LIFETIME powertrain warranty that covers all lubricated parts...engine/tranny basically.

Pros: Around 25 mpg is what I hear? Reliability. It is basically the 'meat and potatoes' of what i need. Reasonable monthly payment, reliability, and good gas mileage. Of course, if the ranger was reliable, I have a new tacoma that isn't really the tacoma I want, and a monthly payment I don't need to be making. Buying new, I know exactly what I'm getting, not a car that may have been put through the ringer.

Cons: Cost. I'll probably be paying around 3k in neg. equity on the passat when it finally goes, and trade in is out of the question as that would jump to like 6500 in neg. equity. The tacomas are in such high demand, finding a dealer who'll take much of the sticker is almost impossible. I think on the 07s they're talking about 1250 off, but that's just the v6s which don't get good gas mileage. On top of this, you have a monthly payment for the next 5 years.

Option #3. Ok, I wouldn't have even considered this had the ranger not broke down at a crucial point. The 2007 tundra. Best offer right now is sitting at 7500-8000 off sticker, and they are all still matching each other. I wouldn't even be considering it if they weren't having such great end of year deals and trying to move the 07s. I can get in one for about 500/month.

Pros: Versatility & Reliability. I can't have a semi inbound to my warehouse for me to unload or have packages to transport and not have a truck. This could also handle some serious transporting. They're towing package can handle over 5 tons. The thing is a beast, and I know I'd own it for a long long time. Can tow anything I need

Cons: Gas guzzler. Window on the six speed 5.7l v8 says 20mpg. I'm hearing its closer to 16-17 on average. Driving 25k miles a year, gas is gonna be: $4500 for the tundra | $3750 for the ranger | $3125 for the i4 tacoma

The tundra's gonna be about 500/month. The tacoma would probably be 400/month so over the course of the year, I'd throw about $2600 more out per year for the tundra. Add taxes/insurance...its probably about $3000.

When you put some bone stock tacoma next to a well outfitted tundra, that $3000 looks very small At the same time, 3k is 3k. That's a dang nice vacation.

Of course, if i stick with the ranger, that's 4800 a year less than the tacoma and 6000 year less than the tundra. Heck...in just over a year I could have a huge vacation and tons of spending money

I think I just need to look at priorities. I have to have a versatile vehicle that is reliable that is good on gas that is something that I will enjoy because I want to pay it off fast and not have monthly payments. I don't want the plain jane tacoma, and would buy the bigger 4 door version, in which case the price is right there with the dang tundras and I would just go ahead and get that.

There's only one way to settle such a delema...A POLL!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Although it may see like a lot of money to make repairs here and there, it is far less than new truck payments + increased insurance cost. Not to mention you are not really gaining much in the way of fuel economy. Just my $.02.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM
nleditor
Freshman User
Yeah, I'd stick with the Ranger, too. Even though you have to spend money on repairs, you already know what you've got, and you know how much you're spending on fuel a year. The other things are annoyances, but they're not as bad as realizing you're really only getting about 12-14 mpg when you tow something in the Tundra.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM
explorer9607
New User
i changed my thermostat and my heat still dont work in my 96' explorer y's that?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
"The problem is, it doesn't fix the oil leak, that needs another $450"

Where is the oil leak at?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
Originally Posted by explorer9607
i changed my thermostat and my heat still dont work in my 96' explorer y's that?
Try doing a real post for that problem

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best bang for the buck.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 AM
35l911
Senior User
stick with the ranger and try to restore it at one part at a time its cheaper than buying Toyota or Nissan

Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Your not going to get any encouragement from me to go buy some japanese junk when there are plenty of good american trucks to be had. The last time I checked, japan hasn't done anything for you besides bomb Peral Harbor and try and bomb our economy. I don't think many of my brethern in thier right mind will sugest a toyota either as ford is surpassing them now in quality. I have felt that ford has allways been better, haven't walked yet. The tundra is the uglyest truck on the market, it looks like a toad on steroids. They also have weak cams, tailgates and t-cases for starters. Toyota is built by God, but by the same hung over americans that build the rest, except the profits go to Tokoyo. Ford is starting to come out of thier slump thanks to good ole toyota that help put them in one and the americans who think there's nothing like japanese junk and the pro japanese media blitz by motor trend and other such rags. This is not the forum to come to if you want someone to tell you to go buy japanese junk. This is a ford truck site, not Toyota's -R-US. Fix the ranger and buy american, when and where you still can. The union just gave ford an award this past summer for using over 70% of american parts in thier cars and trucks, as did GM and toyota. The difference is, ford and GM are american companies, toyota is not. Yoda will do quite well without your hard earned american dollars, where as your own american companies could use your help right now. If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem. Sorry so long, but as others can tell you, this is a touchy subject with me. I live in an area where we depend on ford, GM and chrysler as we have all 3. Here in the Cleveland area is like little Detroit, thanks for listening.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
wresleu
Elder User
My opinion: DON'T buy a toyota. Henry Ford would be rolling over in his grave right now if he was aware of all the shinanagans going on in the auto industry. Dollar for dollar Ford is going to be your best bet. I'm not saying Toyota's are a sub par vehicle, but this is America, and we need to learn to look after our own first and foremost. Ford is producing a quality vehicle there is no doubt about that. Keep the Ranger or go buy a new one. Steer clear of following all the other Lemmings that are driving Toyota's.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:44 PM
hunter1988
Senior User
keep the ranger and save money for a new or used truck. Wait for someone to get rid of their truck- and buy used. My $.02. if its still running, don't dump it... Buy ford, chevy, or Dodge.. try to stay domestic... our economy already sucks... new silverados are great trucks with the 5.3L an the ford 150s are really good too...

Old 11-18-2007, 03:54 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
How can you compare a '84 vs a 07 model of any brand?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:17 PM
hunter1988
Senior User
it's called spending money wisely- Not a big fan of debt and payments... I'd rather make payments to myself before the purchase then buy with cash than pay the bank payments...

Old 11-18-2007, 05:50 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wendell borror
Your not going to get any encouragement from me to go buy some japanese junk when there are plenty of good american trucks to be had. The last time I checked, japan hasn't done anything for you besides bomb Pearl Harbor and try and bomb our economy. I don't think many of my brethern in thier right mind will sugest a toyota either as ford is surpassing them now in quality. I have felt that ford has allways been better, haven't walked yet. The tundra is the uglyest truck on the market, it looks like a toad on steroids. They also have weak cams, tailgates and t-cases for starters. Toyota is built by God, but by the same hung over americans that build the rest, except the profits go to Tokoyo. Ford is starting to come out of thier slump thanks to good ole toyota that help put them in one and the americans who think there's nothing like japanese junk and the pro japanese media blitz by motor trend and other such rags. This is not the forum to come to if you want someone to tell you to go buy japanese junk. This is a ford truck site, not Toyota's -R-US. Fix the ranger and buy american, when and where you still can. The union just gave ford an award this past summer for using over 70% of american parts in thier cars and trucks, as did GM and toyota. The difference is, ford and GM are american companies, toyota is not. Yoda will do quite well without your hard earned american dollars, where as your own american companies could use your help right now. If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem. Sorry so long, but as others can tell you, this is a touchy subject with me. I live in an area where we depend on ford, GM and chrysler as we have all 3. Here in the Cleveland area is like little Detroit, thanks for listening.
Couldnt have said it better myself, except i would have spelled "pearl" right(i fixed it in the quote dont worry )

I would NEVER buy any jap made deathtrap for every single reason listed abouve. 65 years ago those *******s were shooting at us, and now you tell me that you want to hand over your hard earned American dollars to them for a crappy vehicle?
If you get a yota dont be expecting to be welcome around here anymore.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Sorry about the mispell, I went to night school and don't do so well in the day ha ha.

Quick Reply: What to do, what to do?