1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Yet another "new" noise to worry about...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another "new" noise to worry about...

Whenever i shift gears on the truck (auto...like P to D or R to D) there is a pretty loud clunk from under the truck. I dropped the rear driveshaft and re-greased the spline thinking that that would help. Well the sound is still there and it sounds like it's coming from the transfer case. any suggestions?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
also...when parked on an incline, it is pretty hard to get out of park and into D or R. associated problem with the above post??

Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
clunk could be a bad u joint, or center bearing... When you park on an incline do you set the e brake? If not, you are putting a lot of pressure on the parking pawl and when you put it in park the truck will roll slightly and put a lot of weight on the pawl. Then when you go to release, all the wieght is released and it makes a clunk. Set your e brake, then put it in park...see if that helps

Old 11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke6ltr
clunk could be a bad u joint, or center bearing... When you park on an incline do you set the e brake? If not, you are putting a lot of pressure on the parking pawl and when you put it in park the truck will roll slightly and put a lot of weight on the pawl. Then when you go to release, all the wieght is released and it makes a clunk. Set your e brake, then put it in park...see if that helps
very good advice i will add..put it in drive before you release the E-brake as well...

Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
yes i use the ebrake and also put it in drive before releasing the brake. I just need to tighten the cable. As far as the "clunk" goes...mine is not a long bed so there is no carrier bearing. I'm sure my u joint could use a replacement, but it suuuuuure sounds like it's coming from the transfer case.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Maybe get a helper to shift back and forth with you listening underneath. Block the wheels!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
Kwik...we did that last weekend when we were dropping the d-shaft. sounded like it was in the T-case.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by stroke-of-luck00
Kwik...we did that last weekend when we were dropping the d-shaft. sounded like it was in the T-case.
It's probably losing it's shift forks and the gears are sliding back and forth or something like that. I recommend that you pull the fill plug and see if you can spot the shift forks and whether they are wearing out or not.
If you cannot see the forks through the fill plug, then get some ATF for refilling and pull the drain plug and look inside where the drain plug is and see if you can see little tiny bits of plastic and/or metal flakes.
When mine gave up it stranded me on the top of Mt. Rainier National Park and cost me $500.00+ to get towed out of there. I was simply coasting back down the hill to my campsite and the whole thing dropped to neutral without making a sound. Nothing more to do but get a tow, the truck would not move on it's own.
There was no prior warning noises whatsoever, so if you are hearing something now, count your blessings at not having to pay the tow bill!!!
Updated rebuild kits are available from Ford for probably a little less than $500.00 by now. (My guess.)

Picture of the old mainshaft out of my TC next to the new one that went in.
The new one is the one with the oiling galley so that the shift fork is lubed while underway and in 2wd.
It's not that hard of a job if you are handy with a wrench or two.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 11-15-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the last few thousand miles mine seems to have developed a slight clunk when I realease the throttle at any speed. The carrier bearing is about 18 months old. Any chance the ring and pinion has developed some slop? I hope not. Would one of the u-joints cause such a feeling of slop in the drive line? I do not like things not being perfect, but no longer have the financial resource's to just stand back and throw money at a problem, so I would like to know right where the problem is most likely to be.