6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Air intake systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Hollywood2005
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air intake systems

What Brands are out there? I heard rumors that AFE was setting off the Check Engine light? is there any truth behind that?

I want to put dual 4" Exhaust, tuner and air intake in the next couple of weeks and don't want to buy any greif!

Once I get a few more things installed I will post Pics!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM
ToughBuiltFord
FTE Sponsor
You can check out our shop's air intakes section to compare customer reviews here: http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/air-intakes/10A50208.aspx

Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
boggerted
Posting Guru
I think you should read up on the long list of stupid restrictions ford puts on these trucks that severely limits how you can modify them. Basically, you cant touch the exhaust, intake, or computer without voiding the warranty, and removing the DPF or changing the air intake usually throws a CEL and screws it up. IMO, leave it stock.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
fordfish
Senior User
CFM on stock is 850 ish, engine requires 774 ish, so stock has you covered,,,BUT does the stock ALLOW 774 cfm to flow in it's configuration? CFM's are on a flow bench, NOT tucked in the engine compartment, that's the question- I can't find that answer anywhere, Does anybody know different?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Hollywood2005
Senior User
my service Tech knows what I am doing. I haev been looking into these warrenty worries and as long as FORD cannot prove that the add on has cause the problem they cannot legally refuse warrenty; that's not saying that it wont make the process difficult if something serious does happen. There is a article about it at this SEMA site.

. [font='Verdana','sans-serif']http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128[/font]

I talkes to a guy in my area and he said the intake did increase his power a little but I forgot to ask what brand he is using.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Its simple, take it from me.......dont buy an intake! I have a thread goin here about AFE. I bought one and it was never right. The CEL was on constantly and the truck drove like *****. There are quite a few here who will agree. I even spoke with AIRADE and they are having similar issues with their product. I wouldnt believe another company out if they tell you their product is problem free. The new 6.4L truck is just touchy and will be, so best leave it alone.

Nick

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Hollywood2005
Senior User
Yea I was reading that post a while back; that's wierd that they couldn't get the problem fixed....... For now I will just start with the exhaust adn see what happens

thanks for your input

Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Having been to more then my fair share of dyno runs I can confidently say you will see 'no' improvement from just an intake. Usually modified intakes are used in conjuction with other modifications to improve performance. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you can't find any other way to spend it I wouldn't touch it myself.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:49 PM
ROCKETW19
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hollywood2005
my service Tech knows what I am doing. I haev been looking into these warrenty worries and as long as FORD cannot prove that the add on has cause the problem they cannot legally refuse warrenty; that's not saying that it wont make the process difficult if something serious does happen. There is a article about it at this SEMA site.

. [font='Verdana','sans-serif']http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128[/font]

I talkes to a guy in my area and he said the intake did increase his power a little but I forgot to ask what brand he is using.
i agree with your statement 100% althought i didnt read the link.
there is a law call moss-magnuson (or something like that) that protects people with after market parts. basicaly like you said they have to prove the mod caused the warranty problem. heres my story
I had a supercharged hummer and my tranny went out the dealer told me the tranny is not covered due to me having a supercharger on it. so i have to pay. well i called the installer of my supercharger and he told me about this law, he then called the dealer and said prove the SC caused the tranny to go out. well the next day the hummer dealer called me and said they are fixing it under warranty.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
BIG2NA
New User
Afe

I will second on the AFE.
I also bought and installed and had 2 ck engine lights come on, since going back to stock NADDA.
Just had my truck into Ford yesterday for the ECM Re-program for the DPF Filter.
I haven't noticed any difference since the re-program, Fuel mileage still terrible!!

BIG2NA..

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Hollywood2005
Yea I was reading that post a while back; that's wierd that they couldn't get the problem fixed....... For now I will just start with the exhaust adn see what happens

thanks for your input
You can only modify the exhaust from the cat back, and this change must not increase back-pressue. Any changes from the cat to the turbo will void your emmision warranty and possiably you engine warranty.

Becarfull of what any so called special dealers offer you in warranty to issues like this for they are all being watched closley, any warranty claims are watched closely.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
im going to fram for a new fiter system, i had one on my 6.0 and it worked loke a dream. minute to change the 20 nuck filter. and it went 55,000 miles before the filter minder said it need replacement. it sure beat that horror filter ford put in it. and never a questi from the steaer when it had a couple electrica problems under warrenty.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 PM
luke1213
Junior User
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
i agree with your statement 100% althought i didnt read the link.
there is a law call moss-magnuson (or something like that) that protects people with after market parts. basicaly like you said they have to prove the mod caused the warranty problem. heres my story
I had a supercharged hummer and my tranny went out the dealer told me the tranny is not covered due to me having a supercharger on it. so i have to pay. well i called the installer of my supercharger and he told me about this law, he then called the dealer and said prove the SC caused the tranny to go out. well the next day the hummer dealer called me and said they are fixing it under warranty.
ford voided my warranty on my mustang gt after it dropped a valve for the 3rd time. the only thing i had done to it at the time was mid pipe and flowmasters. they told me there was evidence of a chip being on the car previously. i bought the car used and that was where the evidence came from. no chip in the car when it broke though. don't trust everything you hear or read about warranties. dealerships will find a way to not warranty a car. your best bet on warranties is talk to your local dealer and see what they will consider to void your warranty. some dealers are modified friendly and will take into consideration certain modification.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oltrucker
im going to fram for a new fiter system, i had one on my 6.0 and it worked loke a dream. minute to change the 20 nuck filter. and it went 55,000 miles before the filter minder said it need replacement. it sure beat that horror filter ford put in it. and never a questi from the steaer when it had a couple electrica problems under warrenty.
If your going to Fram, PLAN on having problems! Fram has been junk for years its a bottom of the line filter I wouldn run on my lawn tractor......

Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 AM
tiereta
New User
I installed an AFE intake to go along with my Magnaflow 5", 6" tip Cat back a few weeks ago and have actually had my Fuel mileage drop almost 1.5 mpg with the same driving habits. I am not impressed with the AFE intake, especialy when they advertise 1-3 mpg gains with the intake alone. Obviously at this rate I will never see the money I spent on the intake in fuel savings. By the way I have had no check engine lights or codes with the intake.

Quick Reply: Air intake systems