Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Researching the first steps in my fuel mods... DFA vs. ITP

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
santacruzf250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researching the first steps in my fuel mods... DFA vs. ITP

So I'm starting to research my fuel mods and I'm going to be doing the Harpoon and Hutch first but I'm wondering about two different products that sound very similar.

The ITP Regulated Return Kit $550
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=152&rn=277&action=show_detail

and the

Dino Fuel Alternatives: Cross Connect Kit $120
http://www.dinofuelalternatives.com/...9903CCK&cat=17

Can someone explain to me how these kits really differ. The ITP kit obviously comes with the regulator but I'm a little confused because the product descriptions appear very similar. Aside from that, the price gap is giant!

I can handle the $120 + $50 for the HPX line but $550 is alot of money. Has anyone used the Dino Fuel Alternatives upgrade system? Is it quality?

Some info/opinion would be wonderful. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I was the first install - Beta #1, and my evaluation report is in the link in my signature.

Look under the section titled "Guides". The pdf file is titled "Cackle Cure - Test Results (large file)".

Still no leaks whatsoever... quality kit... excellent service and assistance even "after the sale". Jason at DFA is very easy to work with, and they will work with you to resolve any problem that may arise. I've seen many posts of guys in here who have installed their kit, and only one was not nice in his feedback, but that was over an insignificant issue and one where he came crying in here about it rather than try to first contact DFA, who promptly took care of the issue in spite of his poor approach.

From what I've read, the ITP kit is quality also. The DFA kit, in Jason's own words, was designed to be a "poor man's regulated return". There are lots of folks who have the reg return and like it. I can't knock it, but it is not in the same financial ball game that the DFA kit is in, even if you add the expensive pressure regulator to the DFA kit.

Like you've already stated, the main difference is the absence of an expensive regulator in DFA's kit, where they use a tiny orifice fitting and rely on the stock fuel filter housing's pressure regulator to control system pressure to the injectors.

Maybe there is more to the ITP kit than I understand, and if so, someone else will certainly chime in to make sure that we both know what that is.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 PM
santacruzf250
Elder User
Thanks for your input Pete. I just finished reading your report and I have to thank you for going through the trouble to write everything.

If you had to do it again, would you hesitate to buy the DFA system?

Would you recommend spending the extra $50 for the HPX?

Any further suggestions?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I'll answer your questions in reverse. First off--- absolutely no regrets!!

I did spend the extra money to get the HPX.

As for the #1 question, you have to understand first that I'm a really cheapskate when it comes to buying something I can build... I typically just don't do it unless I lack the confidence of building it myself.

Also, this PSD is the first diesel I've ever owned, and I've never done a lot of mechanic-type work, though I can if I want to because I tend to pick up on things rather quickly. I've always hated the black greasy dirt in wrenching on vehicles, but I LOVE working on this truck!! Can't explain it... but I really, REALLY LOVE it!!

OK... I believe that Jason would completely understand and not take it personally if I said what I'm going to say... when I get my Excursion diesel and my son gets his PSD, he and I will build our own fuel system now that I've gone through the process and learned what I have.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying I can build a better kit than Jason's... it's a really good kit with unquestionably high quality materials. I simply want to pleasure of being able to say, "I built that.... even though I copied someone else's idea". It's a matter of cost for me. I think I can buy the parts and piece it together for less tahn Jason's kit... but I may be wrong about that, too. I'll do it myself next time anyway just for the fun of it, though.

That said, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of having jason put the kit together for you, knowing that you'll get everything you need without having to go to the hardware store fiftenn times to get the job done.

One suggestion... don't know if Jason is throwing in a few extra viton fuel line sleeves for hte existing fule line connections on the filter housing, but if he's not, I know that he has them for sale.... get a set of them if he hasn't already included them in the kit. I dropped one of mine that came in the kit and had to "finnaigle" a way touse an oversized one from the Big Truck dealer here in Birmingham.... but I think you've already read about that in my notes. it would be good to have a spare set to start with because they are not easy to come by and can get damaged.

Hope this helps.

Anyway... if I were in the same shoes I was in back when I got the kit from Jason (before I learned the things I've learned this year here in FTE)... I would not even think twice about buying it from him again... I'd do it in a heartbeat!! I'm just at a different point now, that's all.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
I love my DFA kit, add the HPX line and shim your FPR to 65-70psi and your set.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Buncha girliemen. DIY and enjoy the true joy of screwing things up only to fix them. Save a buck and spend a lot of time. It is a relationship with the truck we are talking about.

I ended up with a virtual hardware store of fittings left over when I was done but it was fun. Took them back and it is all good. Feeling manly? Cut a hole in the bottom of your tank. That'll get NHTSA's attention. Can't beat it for the ultimate in-tank mod though, trust me. No air getting in there unless you are out of fuel totally.

All kidding aside, both are quality kits. Mine is easily repairable with parts from the local hardware store. So far, no repairs.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Show-off!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Hey, I sell those commercial sink drains, (No, Chris, we are not cutting holes in my tank,(or yours)).

S.C. the DFA CC-Kit is a great kit, as Pete said, Jason is a great guy to deal with. I am one of Jasons new guinea pigs, and am currently waiting on UPS to get to my door with the DFA Fass repalcement system. It utilizes the CC-Kit that I already have installed, and is a full fuel system replacement(read: no more fuel bowl). Thats another great thing about DFA stuff, Jason utilizes some of us, real people, who drive their vehicle as daily drivers, grocery getters, mobile offices, hunting trucks, tow mules, etc... to test his products. He runs them first, then offers a few as beta testers, updates as needed and then offers them for sale to the general public.
Look for my write ups in a couple of weeks on the replacement fuel system.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I finally found a low-profile stainless steel shower drain used on yachts that I'm gonna sump MY tank with. IIRC... the total "reveal" is only about 1.5 inches, and it's a side-take-off for the fuel line connection.

Sorry for the hijack, santacruz... I just couldn't resist taking a little poke at Mike after he laid down the gauntlet like he did.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
This is the best option, hands down.
Put your fuel pump at the end of the fuel pickup.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Pete, just so you know, I have the skid plate on now and lack about 2" of additional protection that I need to fabricate. Well, I don't need to fabricate anything, but want to finish it cleanly. It will need to be easily removable. Whenever I get this done I will update my gallery. Don't wait on it, not an emergency on my part.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
This is the best option, hands down.
Put your fuel pump at the end of the fuel pickup.
I would'nt even begin to argue with you Dan except for three points:
1. Still lifting, but far better than stock.
2. Real PITA when the pump acts up, ie pump troubleshooting or replacement.
3. Still sucking through stock p/up foot and air can get in via sloshing.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
santacruzf250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Buncha girliemen. DIY and enjoy the true joy of screwing things up only to fix them. Save a buck and spend a lot of time. It is a relationship with the truck we are talking about.

I ended up with a virtual hardware store of fittings left over when I was done but it was fun. Took them back and it is all good. Feeling manly? Cut a hole in the bottom of your tank. That'll get NHTSA's attention. Can't beat it for the ultimate in-tank mod though, trust me. No air getting in there unless you are out of fuel totally.

All kidding aside, both are quality kits. Mine is easily repairable with parts from the local hardware store. So far, no repairs.
So which kit are you running?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by santacruzf250
So which kit are you running?
You probably do not want to know. Total DIY setup. I even have a sink strainer sump on the bottom of my tank. I get zero air in my fuel supply now. I do not even bleed my fuel lines at the engine anymore because there is nothing but fuel. It is handy during fuel filter changes though. Also provides a great fuel pressure port for testing.

Edit: have a look in my gallery for the pics.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 11-12-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
F250_
Hotshot
santacruz... Mike is dead serious... what he has on the bottom of his tank really was a sink strainer (now it's a fuel tank sump) that he bought from a local hardware store! Check out his gallery and you'll see it. I would have to say that he did a good job of making a silk purse out of that sow's ear.

Quick Reply: Researching the first steps in my fuel mods... DFA vs. ITP