Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fire in bed due to stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
kalsc
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fire in bed due to stacks?

In another thread it was mentioned that stacks in the bed of your truck could start fires. This hasn't happened to me but I sure am curious if this has happened to anyone else out there.

Cheers!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM
SolidGround
Elder User
I've got 135 gallons of diesel nestled tightly against my stacks, all the pipe in the bed for that matter. There's dried-up leaves and gumballs and leaves and leaves. I often clean them out but they're always there.
So far, I haven't burned down anything.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never even thought about that, what do they say catches on fire?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
wouldn't your regular exhaust catch a dry field on fire also???

Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 AM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
I guess people think that if you had a spare fuel tank in the back of your truck those stacks would blow you up. To those people i say pour a little fuel on the ground and put a match to it and see what happens. NOTHING, diesel is very stable and unless compressed with air or being sprayed on a flame it tends not to burn out of control like gas

Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
MKOPOWER
FTE Sponsor
touch them down low next time you run you truck for a while I have had customers order 5 inch exhaust to replace there stacks because of fires in the bed of there trucks

Last edited by IB Tim; 11-08-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM
WonderDonkey
Senior User
No kidding, I dont have stacks, but what is catching on fire? This is boggling me.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:12 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I had stacks in my 95 Powerstroke. I also have horses (well, my wife does) and we always had hay (DRY hay at that) stacked back there. Never had an issue.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 PM
LOADED 06 PSD
Senior User
I Never heard of anyone's bed catching on fire! i hope it never happens though

Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MKOPOWER
...touch them down low next time you run you truck for a while I have had customers order 5 inch exhaust to replace there stacks because of fires in the bed of there trucks...
The sharp 90 degree bend under the truck leading to the vertical stack is very restrictive, and this slows the exhaust flow there, which causes a lot of exhaust gas heat to dissipate in that region of the tailpipe which heats it up. Then consider that the exposed portions of the stacks are cooled by the ambient air flow, and this tends to cause a thermal inversion where an upper volume of cooler air is stifling the up flow of the hotter exhaust gas from below, and this effect also causes more heating at the junction.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
One of the reasons I built my bed cover for my stacks is to keep leaves from getting in there, the other reason was for the cool-factor. But anyway, where my y-pipe goes thru the bed, it sits on my drop-in bed liner with no melting. I say the odds of a fire starting in the bed of your truck because of the stacks is slim to none.With as many people using them, I have not heard of a single instance of this happening.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
...I say the odds of a fire starting in the bed of your truck because of the stacks is slim to none.With as many people using them, I have not heard of a single instance of this happening...
Did you not read this...
Originally Posted by MKOPOWER
touch them down low next time you run you truck for a while I have had customers order 5 inch exhaust to replace there stacks because of fires in the bed of there trucks

www.mkopower.com
I can only assume that someone who sells stacks for a living wouldn't fib about his product starting fires!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
Did you not read this... I can only assume that someone who sells stacks for a living wouldn't fib about his product starting fires!
Yes...I did read it Gene ...and no one implied that he was fibbing! Maybe I should have been more clear with my wording. I have not heard of a single instance of this happening before Mark's statement.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:12 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
Yes...I did read it Gene ...and no one implied that he was fibbing! Maybe I should have been more clear with my wording. I have not heard of a single instance of this happening before Mark's statement.
How about this deal. If you go to Smokin this year I'll sponsor a dyno run and we can make some EGT, boost, and exhaust system temp measurements on your truck. I'm trying to figure out how to put an IR thermometer on a pole so I can take temp readings looking up the tailpipe or down the stack during a run. I need to determine how much heat is lost through various types of exhaust systems vs engine load. I need that kind of data for my PSD model.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Now that would be interesting to see Gene at work this year at Smokin to see how all the data and graphs are made.

Quick Reply: Fire in bed due to stacks?