1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

About ready to part ways....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
fast freddie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool About ready to part ways....

I have loved my 95 PSD more than any truck I have ever owned but the honeymoon is over. I have spent $1400 on the HPOP, IPC valve and sensor and $1700 having the transmission overhauled in the last 6 months. Now she's giving me problems again.
This past friday afternoon I came home determined to locate the source of a fuel leak that I kept smelling. I also intended to trouble-shoot the problem with my glow plugs not working. I squirted everything in the valley down good with some orange cleaner stuff and let it sit a little while and then took the water hose and sprayed her down good in an attempt to get everything nice and clean so I could find the leak. I even used my leaf blower to blow all of the excess water away after I washed her down.
Well I started it up and and let her run while I looked for the leak. Couldn't find a leak anywhere. Decided to see if I could find the glow plug problem (No wait to start light, no power to the GPR *#22 fuse is good, no ground on the other small wire on the GPR and thus THE GLOW PLUGS DO NOT WORK!). No luck finding that problem either so I just said to h%ll with it and closed the hood down
This morning I try to start it and it just spins over. No smoke, no RPM indication on the tachometer. Hit it with a little starting fluid and It fires up untill the ether is gone. Thought maybe I got an electrical connection wet Friday so I went through those and dryed as many as I could find. Still no go. Put a new CPS on. No go. Found that the little dinky a$s nut that holds the coil on the IPC valve had backed way off. Fixed that. No go.
I mean what the heck. The truck was starting and running fine when I turned it off Friday afternoon. Now nothing. If any of you have a suggestion of something to check, PLEASE let me know. I am on the verge of giving up on it.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Double check fuse 22 (check it with a meter or replace)& make sure the wiring to the IPR, (thats the one with the nut),are not touching anything, Check the ICP connector for water,Thats the one by the lifting ring,, make sure the connections to the valve covers are attached & dry . try switching the relays in the distribution box (there are 4)....see if that gets a WTS ....

Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
fast freddie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked the 22 fuse with a meter. It's good. Couldn't find any problems with the wires to the IPR or the IPR sensor. No water in the connections at the valve covers. Swapped the 4 relays around. Still no WTS light. For some reason I am not getting any fuel to the injectors as indicated by no smoke and the fact that it will fire on ether. How much fuel pressure should I be seeing during cranking? I tried to hold a gauge on there while cranking it over but fuel just sprayed out everywhere and I couldn't get a reading. Anyway, the fuel pump probaly has less than 15,000 miles on it. One thing I did notice though. I took the lid off of the fuel filter along with the element and cranked the engine over to see how fast the housing filled. It took a good bit of cranking to get it half full. Does that sound right? I have no idea what kind of volume it should put out. I'm going to go fix me a big ole drink and ponder the situation..... Thanks for your reply Action.