1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Winter Plans and 08 Shows

Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Winter Plans and 08 Shows

What does anyone have planned for the "offseason" to do to their truck?
On my 55 my wish list is:

Normal Maintenance (fuel filter, tranny service, radiator service, and a tune up)
Got a oil leak to check. Looks like a rear main .
Adjust on my doors some more and replace vent window weatherstripping.
Last but not least redo my heat/air system.

Shows for next year:
Attend the Supernationals All Day Friday (May)
The F100 show in Pigeon Forge Thursday - Saturday (June)
Nashville Goodguys as a spectator just cause it's local
Possibly the Blue Ridge Run in Statesville, NC (September)
Bowling Green, Kentucky Goodguys as a participant (October)

Shows other than the Pigeon Forge and Nashville Goodguys are ALL Lord willing and FUEL PRICE dependent. Even though I get right at 19 mpg with Ole blue and could go 380 miles off a tank.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey Donald, I plan on getting on my 61 Unibody and trying to get it done. I'd like to work on PEGYSU, but time and money may not permit. I'm goin to try to split my winter between my 56 panel and my Unibody. I'm glad you get such good mpg's, I get 10 mpg with my truck!! I can go 200 miles on a tank, but I usually fill up at 150. Have you told your wife about the doors yet I thought you might be in the doghouse this winter? As for the next season's shows, I'm seriously thinking about going to the PF show in June you told me about. I might be able to get the guys up and go down to Bowling Greene? Dont know yet?

Later man

Old 11-03-2007, 10:48 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
In a nutshell....move into my new house starting today, which'll clear out the boxed stuff in the garage, which'll make room for the stuff upstairs of the garage (all my tbird parts) to come down, which'll allow me to start on my tbird project, and will let me finish the upstairs (it's a gambrel roof with upstairs "office") while the '48 will get the frame finished. I'm hoping to have the truck rollable by next spring, when the body can be brought in after the snow melts. and I can start on that.

Shows: Dash to the Dells again, perhaps. And maybe Back-to-the-Fifties in the twin cities. A couple small local shows, which are actually getting bigger (last year was about 100 cars from 25 the year before). But then again, my work schedule hasn't let up yet, and probably won't anytime soon.

Last edited by havi; 11-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 AM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I plan on getting the fuel tank and lines in, the brake lines,finishing the cab body work, and mounting it on the frame. Get the wiring done on the engine so I can fire it up. Hopefully I can get the top chopped before I put it back on the frame.(I can dream can't I)

Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah winter plans.......... replace rear end with a 64 9" to "tuck' the rubber under the fenders, replace steering column/brake pedal / gas pedal with a set from a 75 E250, install bed wood, add some interior as it is just insulation at the moment, add a heater, find a seat that fits better in the cab, put in a radio, install the door seals...........that should keep me busy til next winter
Of course those are just the plans........never know what life will deal over the winter
Will definitely hit the Father's Day show in Qualicum, most likely the Nautical Days show in Comox, and of course the annual cruise in to Cumberland.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Terry yeah I told the wife about the doors. She was ok with it when I told her I got them at Scratch and Dent price versus the retail price of $500 a piece. Havi congrats on the new place and may God have mercy on your soul with all havoc moving into a new place brings. I completely hear you when you talk about work schedule not being up. Work anywhere is uncertain. Sparky you are right they are plans life throws curves at us all sometimes. Rusty I'm dreaming with you. Life would be incomplete with out dreams.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
after the nightmare of building the place, moving in will be a snap....

Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Cool, BE safe.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm starting the shop extension this month and hope to have it done by Christmas. The 54 should be on the wheels this month also and then the tank, brake & fuel lines and trans crossmember go in. The rest of the winter I'll try to concentrate on the cab.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:41 PM
fat54
New User
I would like to get the rest of my sheet-metal work done on my truck and rough in the body work.Then I could help TRUXX56 on the unibody And the panel.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
I am working on the power window kit and have the 1 piece in at this point. My 6 went into "winter mode" 2 weeks ago. I going slow as I am working on the 63 Falcon ragtop at the same time. After the P/W , then onto the sound system I guess.
Hope you guys all have a fun time, and warm days to work.
Jon

Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Dual exhaust system with Cherry Bombs, for the fresh Y-block ... calibrate the carb just so ...

Possibly get to work on lowering, who knows. I also have an idea to do door poppers.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kooper909
Dual exhaust system with Cherry Bombs, for the fresh Y-block ... calibrate the carb just so ...

Possibly get to work on lowering, who knows. I also have an idea to do door poppers.
I wonder if you could record that sweet sound and link it here so we could enjoy. I was looking at exh sys on ask.com and stumbled on "muffer sounds". It has a lot of different eng/muff combo's , but not like yours. Just a thought. I had the CB muffs on my 312 Y in my 55 and the sound just can not be beat. Just as sweet as a flatty with straight smithys on it. Oooooooooooooh
Jon

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Working on new shop as time and money let happen.
As for 08' shows, the supernationals in May for sure. Thinking about the show me
F-100 show in Branson, have never been to this one. Goodguys Indy is one we always try to make.
brian...

Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Originally Posted by CIAF
I wonder if you could record that sweet sound and link it here so we could enjoy. I was looking at exh sys on ask.com and stumbled on "muffer sounds". It has a lot of different eng/muff combo's , but not like yours. Just a thought. I had the CB muffs on my 312 Y in my 55 and the sound just can not be beat. Just as sweet as a flatty with straight smithys on it. Oooooooooooooh
Jon
I'll definitely be sending along sound clips.

Right now it's still got the crossover-pipe single exhaust, but it actually sounds pretty good. Check out my short Youtube video right here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Plans and 08 Shows