1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Overhead console retrofit for Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I installed the console on my old truck, I too had this same problem. It would read the temp when I first started the truck up, and then it would read that same temp for a while. If I shut the truck off, it would still read that same temp unless it sat for a good while. I never did anything about it though.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
fdnylax
Freshman User
I have not had any problems with my temp readout, where is your probe located?

Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fdnylax
I have not had any problems with my temp readout, where is your probe located?
It's mounted behind the grille. There's a pic in my gallery. The holes already existed to fit the probe mount.

But that's not the issue. You may recall in the instructions that he mentions the lockup issue and even includes a suggested switch to reset the computer. So it's a known issue. Apparently the truck is looking for a speed input to reset itself. Check your instruction packet if you have it and you'll see. I'm surprised that you have not noticed the temp locking up.

I'm assuming you have the one that just shows temp and compass, not the full blown computer.

Bill

Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
fdnylax
Freshman User
Thats correct, just temp and compass.

Originally Posted by bpounds
It's mounted behind the grille. There's a pic in my gallery. The holes already existed to fit the probe mount.

But that's not the issue. You may recall in the instructions that he mentions the lockup issue and even includes a suggested switch to reset the computer. So it's a known issue. Apparently the truck is looking for a speed input to reset itself. Check your instruction packet if you have it and you'll see. I'm surprised that you have not noticed the temp locking up.

I'm assuming you have the one that just shows temp and compass, not the full blown computer.

Bill

Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Meriachee
New User
I installed this console in my 2006 F250. Other than some slight confusion over the positioning of the template front to back, the installation was easy, and quite fast.
A very good solution!

Old 10-25-2014, 02:51 PM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone have their template or pics of how to cut the headliner?

Old 10-26-2014, 10:25 PM
The Kaz
Senior User
Originally Posted by zimm
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone have their template or pics of how to cut the headliner?
I have the PDF file they sent me. Its kinda vague but worked for me. PM an email address I can forward the PDF file to you ?

Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 PM
microbc
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Zimm & The Kaz,

Just came across this forum and want to install a console in my truck.

Could either of you send me the PDF template?

Thanks for your help!

Art

Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 PM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Pdf didn't work for 2005. I had to cut headliner myself and I went too far back even being conservative. So now console is an inch back too far. Start with a small cut!

I have to rig a temp reset button, sometimes it gets stuck on the morning temp through the day

Old 05-27-2015, 06:10 AM
shawry
New User
Cannot fault mine. Easy to do, looks and works great

Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 AM
microbc
Mountain Pass
I finally ordered the stock overhead console for my 2005 XLT (the one with no electronics or lights off of a 2006 Lariat), should be here in a few days.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how/where to cut so that I get the bracket installed properly for the console to clip on to.

As Zimm mentioned a few posts above, it isn't as straight forward as it might appear.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by microbc
I finally ordered the stock overhead console for my 2005 XLT (the one with no electronics or lights off of a 2006 Lariat), should be here in a few days.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how/where to cut so that I get the bracket installed properly for the console to clip on to.

As Zimm mentioned a few posts above, it isn't as straight forward as it might appear.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I've not seen that console, so keep that in mind. But here is what I would do. The console bracket must have holes in it for mounting to the roof. Your truck already has a crossmember, which has holes in it for the console. So you should not have to guess where the console goes. The holes will position it. So push up on the headliner to locate the crossmember. Then cut a small hole to find the holes in the crossmember. They will be centered side to side obviously. Once you do that the position of the console will be known, and you can mark the headliner using the console shell.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:52 PM
microbc
Mountain Pass
Thanks bpounds.

Sounds like a plan, just want to get it right!

I've attached a few pictures of the console, doesn't look like it screws in but instead fits under some existing tabs on the roof.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
how did your install go?

any update from others on their overhead console? I have been unsuccessful trying to locate one for my 07 that will read temp/direction. any more current resources? scanning for one from a wrecking yard perhaps?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM
ChrisAiosa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
I guess he has two different kinds - I didn't realize that. That's a nice upgrade for the older super duty trucks to be able to get all the features working.

The one I ordered only had the temp and compass which is all that will work on the '05 to '07 super duty trucks because the computer is in the dash now.
do you know if this guy still sells them can't find the name on eBay?

Quick Reply: OEM Overhead console retrofit for Super Duty